Why become a member? ×

Differences between Zoom H1 & H2?

Bass Culture

Is the H2 worth the extra money over the new H1, folks? My wife is buying me one or the other for Christmas. I really will be using it to simply record band rehearsals and, maybe, gigs. I'm really just looking for something that's simple and offers a high quality recording and can be set up in the middle of us if we're in a circle or in front of us on stage. Transferring the files to CD or into MP3 to share with the band is essential but - I guess - pretty much standard anyway. So, the question is, is it worth spending the extra on the H2 or will the H1 be good enough for my purposes? On the plus side, if the H1 suffices I may get a polo neck jumper out of the wife for Christmas too!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Bass Culture

I bought a H2 recently, didn't know about the H1.

Quite a few discussion around: [url="http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zoom+h1+vs+h2"]http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zoom+h1+vs+h2[/url]

I'd say go for the H1 if you're not bothered about the tuner, metronome, or using it as an audio interface to record on your PC. It looks nicer and is easier to use also!

Edited by dannybuoy

I love the H1's pricetag, which is really very low for the functionality, but I'd be concerned about the user interface.

I bought my H2 because it was idiot-proof, whereas my H4 was clever enough that I could (and did) press the wrong buttons and failed to record things I really wanted to record.

The H1 is clearly as simple as the H2, but the control system seems very fiddly to operate and I'd need my reading specs to see what on earth that display was showing.

It's an age thing. If I was 30 years younger, I'd probably go for the H1 like a shot.

I got an H4 from band funds before the H2 & H1 came out. Got good results from it, but its a bit plasticy and when recording a gig on batteries I have to remember to put a fresh set in between sets.

I think the main benefit of the H2 is that it can record 360 degrees - ie one set of mics pointing at the band and another set picking the audience (or tumbleweed) behind, or for an acoustic "living room" rehearsal with everyone on a circle it might stand a better chance of picking everyone up clearly in 4 channels rather than just 2.

As other band members use the H4, I'm thinking of buying one for myself. I really like the simplicity & size (& price) of the H1, but the 4 channel recording of the H2 is a massive bonus. Then again the Q3 looks temping at around the same price of the H2 - again only two channel but with video in additon to the high quality audio recording.

Also the H1 uses Micro SDHC cards, the H2 & H4 use full size SDHC

The H1 and H2 share the same mic capsules, but the H1 is stereo only. The H2 features an internal navigation menu, whereas all the functions for the H1 are on the outside only - great for quick acces, but all too easy to knock and change without realising it. The H1 is armed as soon as it's switched on, the H2 is not. The H2 features additional post and pre features such as limiter and compressor, as well the ability to normalize recordings afterwards etc, the H1 does not.

The H2 is a fantastic bit of kit, and is perfect of band and rehearsal recording. The H1 will do exactly the same job, but without the bells and whistles. I have the H2 which I use all the time, but I'm also getting the H1 to carry around in my pocket. It's so stupidly cheap that it makes sense to have one :)

• Like 1