Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

E-Bay Punt - Pics and review of my gamble

bassatnight

I won an auction for an upgraded Squire on the bay and managed to win it for £175, which I thought was a bargain as the ad described it thus:

[b]Squire P Body, Fender P/Jazz neck!?, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, Schaller Tuners[/b], and finished in an old gold colour that I have not come across before and it looks nice.

Ok, heres the review:

On taking it out of the gig bag I was struck by the nice finish of the body, really nice colour my other half say's it looks like French mustard gold! works for me!
The neck is a point of concern, it hasn't been fitted particularly well, there is a significant gap between it and the body, it feels fairly secure but I might have to whip it off and put it back on again with some loving care. Despite the sellers promise of buzz free neck I have had to adjust the bridge as the E string rang out something chronic.

The pups were very loose and not screwed down properly, I think I might removed them and have a check at the wiring as it seems a little slapdash.

I think overall its a fine bass but will require some attention to get it up to standard, it looks like someone had the right idea but rushed it. I intend to add some cheap upgrades myself and see what I end up with, as a project manager by trade I do like me projects!

I am not sure about the neck, he described it as a 'jazz' neck and it seems faily slim but wider than my two Fender Jazzes, the head has a Fender P decal which I am not sure about as there is no serial number on it at all I thought at first it was just the original Squire neck with a Fender decal attached but it would still have the Squire serial number and judging by the fit I think it's from something else. It's a nice neck though plays fairly fast.

My overall thoughts are it is a great buy for under £200 notes and with a bit of tlc an upgrade of the Squier bridge to a Badass or sinilar high quality bridge I will have a really nice P/J special. Very happy. I must also add he didn't charge me for shipping so you can't argue with that!

Anyone know what colour this is?

Edited by bassatnight

As funds are low what with Christmas etc I thought I would start looking at possibly adding a decent Bridge, may think about changing the neck as this one is ok but not great and frankly not even sure what it is, my guy feeling is it is a cheap old neck with the Fender P decal added so might go for a MM Fender P neck or similar.

Interesting find - nice one mate!!

My Squier Precision Special has a Precision body with an extra route for the Jazz pickup, and a Jazz neck (even though the headstock has a 'Squier Precision Bass' decal). Those SD pickups look awesome - it's something I might try in mine (if I ever get around to it) - certianly would expect them to be better than the stock pups :)

Let us know how you get on!

HTH, Ian