Why become a member? ×

Does adjustable bridge change sound of wing slot p/u?

fatback

I know there's big debate about whether adjustable bridges change the acoustic sound of the db, but do they change the sound when you use a wing slot piezzo pickup like the k&k bassmax?

The sound passes from the wooden bridge feet through the metal threaded rods and back into the wood of the bridge. You'd think it would have some effect.

I'm still annoyed by the attack I'm getting through the bassmax - a distinct 'pop' that's barely tolerable with the mids right down on the amp. Notch filter doesn't help either. the strings (dunno what they are) do have a popping attack but something is exaggerating it horribly.

Switching the p/u from the E to the G side doesn't change the sound much (although it cures my feedback problems).

Anyone tried the same bass and p/u with and without adjustable bridge?

I'm still experimenting with both adjustable bridges and PUPs, but I've no doubt at all that an adjustable bridge has a negative impact on tone. Fitted adjusters reduce the stiffness of the bridge significantly (the extent being determined by the quality of the adjuster wheels and the degree of extension). I'd guess however that this negative effect on tone would be discernible both amplified and unplugged, so, if the 'pop' is only really evident through the PUP, could the PUP be faulty? Having said that, given you can hear the pop, albeit at lower levels, it sound like perhaps the strings or another component could be a factor?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1025778' date='Nov 16 2010, 12:50 PM']I'm still experimenting with both adjustable bridges and PUPs, but I've no doubt at all that an adjustable bridge has a negative impact on tone. Fitted adjusters reduce the stiffness of the bridge significantly (the extent being determined by the quality of the adjuster wheels and the degree of extension). I'd guess however that this negative effect on tone would be discernible both amplified and unplugged, so, if the 'pop' is only really evident through the PUP, could the PUP be faulty? Having said that, given you can hear the pop, albeit at lower levels, it sound like perhaps the strings or another component could be a factor?

C[/quote]

I was wondering if with a piezzo the sound comes up through the metal adjusters, maybe causing changes, as well as down from the strings. Or is that a silly way to visualise conduction in a db :)

The pop in the strings is subtle and quite attractive acoustically, whereas the amplified version is huge. Also, a mag pickup sounds fine (apart from noise, but that's another story).

btw I get the same whether i use a preamp into the EA doubler or not.

I'm wondering about the pickup. It can't be the fitting because it's the same on both sides of the bridge, and anyhow wiggling it about doesn't change anything.

I'm starting to fear this could be an expensive problem to solve. And solve it i must; I can't gig the bass at the mo, it sounds so bad.

Edited by fatback

I've got a Bassmax which I've used on my 100 year old French bass with adjusters and my Kolstein Travel Bass with adjusters and it sounds great on both, no pre amp required, just the sound of the bass.

Have a look at [url="http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/Forschung/english/dbb/dbb.htm"]this[/url]

Keith

[quote name='fatback' post='1025803' date='Nov 16 2010, 01:03 PM']I was wondering if with a piezzo the sound comes up through the metal adjusters, maybe causing changes, as well as down from the strings. Or is that a silly way to visualise conduction in a db :)

The pop in the strings is subtle and quite attractive acoustically, whereas the amplified version is huge. Also, a mag pickup sounds fine (apart from noise, but that's another story).

btw I get the same whether i use a preamp into the EA doubler or not.

I'm wondering about the pickup. It can't be the fitting because it's the same on both sides of the bridge, and anyhow wiggling it about doesn't change anything.

I'm starting to fear this could be an expensive problem to solve. And solve it i must; I can't gig the bass at the mo, it sounds so bad.[/quote]

The bridge transmits vibrations to the body where they resonate, but of course some vibration must goes back up the other way, or I'm guessing it wouldn't sound like a DB through the PUP? The PUP in question is quite easy to damage if you've had to squeeze it into a tight wing slot, so perhaps that's where the issue lies?

Has the problem started suddenly, started gradually, or always been there? If the latter, it could simply be a feature of your DB's tone (and you might need to try a different means of amplifying it). If gradual, it might suggest a slowly developing problem, perhaps the strings or bridge, whereas if sudden, clearly something substantial has changed and probably needs some emergency diagnostics?

C

I used a BassMax when my bridge was nonadjustable and then after I had the adjusters put on. I used to get that pop with both setups using Innovation Honeys and Evah Weichs (both synthetic gut type strings)

I prefer having the adjusters as the bass changes a bit over the course of the seasons. It was unplayable two weeks ago until I could reduce the tension by lowering the bridge 1/2 a turn. The bridge adjusters were intentionally installed so they almost touch both sides instead of the threads standing too proud.
I now use a Fishman FC and the pop is gone.

It may be the combination of pup/strings/bass that is giving you that pop. Can you afford to try another pickup?

[quote]Has the problem started suddenly, started gradually, or always been there?[/quote]

@ beedster
Been there since I got the bass and fitted the p/u. The previous owner used a realist underfoot type p/u I think, and a mag. I doubt I damaged the p/u, as I was extra careful fitting it.

[quote]It may be the combination of pup/strings/bass that is giving you that pop. Can you afford to try another pickup?[/quote]

@ TPJ
I was afraid someone would say that :) I guess I'm trying to avoid having to change both strings and p/u.

Interesting about your adjustable setting showing little thread. Mine shows lots of thread. In any case, I think I need to get some shims put under to give me more adjustment (or a new bridge?).

How bad was the pop when you had it? Did you have to EQ out all the mids?

@ thisnameistaken
I was wondering about strings alright. I think mine are all metal though, as they're loud with a mag pickup. Is there another way of telling the difference between metal and hybrid?

[quote]Have a look at this[/quote]

@ Mr Bassman
I did see that a while back when i was thinking about an adjustable bridge, but I don't remember it having much to say about piezzo pickups in that situation. I'll have another gander.

Thanks for all your thoughts, guys :)

[quote name='fatback' post='1025953' date='Nov 16 2010, 03:26 PM']@ TPJ
I was afraid someone would say that :) I guess I'm trying to avoid having to change both strings and p/u.

Interesting about your adjustable setting showing little thread. Mine shows lots of thread. In any case, I think I need to get some shims put under to give me more adjustment (or a new bridge?).

How bad was the pop when you had it? Did you have to EQ out all the mids?[/quote]

I had to eq a bit to try and get rid but it never totally disappeared. Over half my playing is acoustic so I was never too bugged by it until the pup died.

I spoke with my luthier about the threads and he preferred to see less than more. He'd had a bass in where the bridge became unstable becasue there wasn't enough wood to hold the screws in the feet of the bridge. You might be able to just get new feet instead of a whole bridge.

I'd offer to loan you another pup to see if it's the K&K giving you the problems but the only other pup I have is an old Fishman BP100 and it is dire (on my bass anyway). You're still welcome to try it though. PM me if you want and I'll post it too you. If your happy with the acoustic tone of your bass I'd leave the strings alone and try and sort the amplified tone.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' post='1026030' date='Nov 16 2010, 04:29 PM']I had to eq a bit to try and get rid but it never totally disappeared. Over half my playing is acoustic so I was never too bugged by it until the pup died.

I spoke with my luthier about the threads and he preferred to see less than more. He'd had a bass in where the bridge became unstable becasue there wasn't enough wood to hold the screws in the feet of the bridge. You might be able to just get new feet instead of a whole bridge.

I'd offer to loan you another pup to see if it's the K&K giving you the problems but the only other pup I have is an old Fishman BP100 and it is dire (on my bass anyway). You're still welcome to try it though. PM me if you want and I'll post it too you. If your happy with the acoustic tone of your bass I'd leave the strings alone and try and sort the amplified tone.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, PMd