Why become a member? ×

Why are there not many kickback amps around?

rOB

[quote name='icastle' post='1022279' date='Nov 13 2010, 11:14 AM']It's the way it has generally always been.
Having said that, Ampeg, Behringer, Fender, Gallien Kruger, Hartke, Eden, Laney and SWR all make angled combo's, so there are more choices out there than you might have imagined...[/quote]

Ah perhaps I just need to look a little harder.

[quote name='markstuk' post='1023294' date='Nov 14 2010, 12:01 PM']I use a "Heavy Duty" Tiger amp stand for my Ashdown Mag300 Combo - works fine and cost about £20 off evilbay.. Works a treat..

It can be adjusted for height/stability...[/quote]

Looks like it'd be perfect but I'm trying to avoid an amp stand just as its yet another bit of kit to carry and load in/out.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1022524' date='Nov 13 2010, 03:22 PM']Kickback shape means more cuts and joints, and [b]compromised internal area[/b], so more work, more wood, more cost, for a compromised amp, that is bigger to pack and ship.[/quote]

Mr Foxen has hit the nail on the head, this is probably the real reason. Their internal volume is seriously compromised compared to how much room they effectively take up so you can't really get decent bass response out of them without them being awkwardly large. The awkward cuts don't help either.

Much better to use a decent amp stand. The one I have is very compact and lightweight, plus has a fitting for a mic boom - handy for PA guys looking to mic guitar cabs! I loved it for my own bass gigs and whenever I did sound for guitards who turned up too loud through little Fender-type combos, since once their overly-directional little combos were firing directly at their ears they'd turn right down. Hallelujah! recommend it:
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ultimate-AMP-150~ID~5498.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~U...150~ID~5498.asp[/url]

I've got at Hartke kickback 12. My main gripe with it is that due to it's shape it's a pain to carry.....the handle isn't much use unless you don't mind it bashing against your leg, so I usually end up carrying it in 2 hands in front of my chest. Basically it's heavy for it's size.

Did I spot a modified Gert Jonnys avatar Skank?

Edited by Apeneck Sweeney

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1023336' date='Nov 14 2010, 12:49 PM']Much better to use a decent amp stand. The one I have is very compact and lightweight, plus has a fitting for a mic boom - handy for PA guys looking to mic guitar cabs! I loved it for my own bass gigs and whenever I did sound for guitards who turned up too loud through little Fender-type combos, since once their overly-directional little combos were firing directly at their ears they'd turn right down. Hallelujah! recommend it:
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ultimate-AMP-150~ID~5498.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~U...150~ID~5498.asp[/url][/quote]

oo that's tempting. Would save having to buy a new combo for monitoring and looks like it would fold down pretty small.

Any idea of how much weight they can bear?

Anyone else with recommendations for amp stands that fold up nice and small but can still hold about 30Kgs without any worries of it collapsing?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1022493' date='Nov 13 2010, 02:54 PM']No one puts a pint on top of my rig no matter how level it is[/quote]
All my band mates and most of the staff from the bars we use to play are already aware that something evil and very sadistic could happen to them if they ever try to put ANYTHING on top of my rig! Muuaaahahaha!

Having said that, my last gig was trough a power amp and a DIY TL606 clone. At some point of the gig i had sitting on top of it 3 pints and a ashtray with a burning cigarrete hanging on it's side... didn't care at all but if it had been with my TE... ohhh... there would be blood!!!

On topic:
I had a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200 and used the tilt back alot but didn't prove to be very usefull because, in pubs, i play in the minimal space possible and almost sitting on the amp so the mids still passed by my knees. My solution was to get myself a keyboard stand and sit the amp on top of it. Worked wonderfully becouse the speaker sat exactly at my chest/shoulders height!

I don't know if it's the same with all kickback designs, but the GK ones seem deeper to make up for the loss of internal space. It does make them awkward to carry (that and the fact the RBH series weighs about the same as a small building per cab) but it does have it's uses.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1022714' date='Nov 13 2010, 06:03 PM']I loved my GK RB700 combo and for small stages the tiltback feature was invaluable for getting sound to my ears. Otherwise the amp would be blasting into the audience below my knees. I'd still have it if it hadn't started giving me back problems.

I've been approaching custom cabinet makers over the years with requests to build a lightweight tiltback cab and strangely enough noones interested. :) Ended up doing the initial design for one myself but haven't got the power tools yet to start.[/quote]

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_neo210.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_neo210.htm[/url] ?

210 cab, kickback design and only 40lbs. They're pretty easy on the bank too.