Why become a member? ×

What's the difference between the 75RI and the VMJ?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1020083' date='Nov 11 2010, 02:12 PM']There is probably loads but humour me.[/quote]

Pickup spacing (70s v 60s), pickup type (Vintage 75s vDuncan Designed), body wood (ash v maple), and based on what I've seen of VMJs, finish quality. Neck profile? Also 3- v 4-bolt neckplate and bullet truss v the other kind. Oh and most importantly of all, the knobs are different I think.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1020122' date='Nov 11 2010, 02:28 PM']Pickup spacing (70s v 60s), pickup type (Vintage 75s vDuncan Designed), body wood (ash v maple), and based on what I've seen of VMJs, finish quality. Neck profile? Also 3- v 4-bolt neckplate and bullet truss v the other kind. Oh and most importantly of all, the knobs are different I think.[/quote]

Also, about £1200. :)

Frank.

Not enough to justify the differance in price!

Having said that, if you are thinking of splashing the dosh Wayne, why don`t you look for one of the Jap ones. They look the real deal and seem to go for between 500-700.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1020602' date='Nov 11 2010, 07:50 PM']Indeed, as I've said many times before I've bought so many basses from this site from US Fenders to Musicmans and I always go back to my MIM Fender.[/quote]Wayne i was going to drop some cash on an MIJ Jazz...ive never played an MIM....much difference in fit and finish? Generally from your experience..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1020619' date='Nov 11 2010, 08:02 PM']Wayne i was going to drop some cash on an MIJ Jazz...ive never played an MIM....much difference in fit and finish? Generally from your experience..[/quote]

I've only ever had one MIM and it's the best bass I've ever played but obviously there are some dogs, I think the CIJ are more consistent.

Lets put it this way if I had a choice between my MIM and a CIJ I'd have mine but if I had the choice between a MIM and a CIJ I'd take the CIJ.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1020562' date='Nov 11 2010, 07:18 PM']I've tried a CIJ 75RI and found it almost the same as my modded VMJ.

I think I'm gonna leave it and pick up a surf green CIJ Jazz.[/quote]

I think the all-maple construction of the VMJ makes it a bit of a potential tone monster. The weakest link for me was the pickups - they're punchy but they seriously lack bandwidth compared to traditional jazz pups, the high end sounds rubbish. Replace those and you're on to a winner, the acoustic tone on the couple I tried was very warm and resonant. Much more lively than the CV jazzes, though these seem to have better finishing and probably more trad-sounding pickups.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1020858' date='Nov 12 2010, 12:02 AM']I think the all-maple construction of the VMJ makes it a bit of a potential tone monster. The weakest link for me was the pickups - they're punchy but they seriously lack bandwidth compared to traditional jazz pups, the high end sounds rubbish. Replace those and you're on to a winner, the acoustic tone on the couple I tried was very warm and resonant. Much more lively than the CV jazzes, though these seem to have better finishing and probably more trad-sounding pickups.[/quote]

Agreed, I have Wizard 84's in mine.