Why become a member? ×

american 75 re-issue

lowfer

Hi Guys,

i am currently playing a sweet japanese 75 re-issue, lovely instrument. However, having heard an american can't help feeling the sound is a little sweeter and more defined with the option of a little more nasal on the bridge pick up. Can some one confimr if the pick ups in the american are different to the japanese and if so, what pick ups are in the american. Any advice would be much appreciated, would consider alternative manufacturers, looking for the classic Jazz nasal sound and a bit of grit

cheers Lowfer

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1017712' date='Nov 9 2010, 03:47 PM']I believe the Japanese version doesn't have the 70's bridge pickup placement, though it does have US Vintage pickups IIRC.[/quote]

I slouch corrected. :)

Is it an ash plus 70's spacing v. alder and 60's spacing thing?

EDIT: Sorry, missed the placement bit. Still, ash v. alder?

Edited by paul h

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1017712' date='Nov 9 2010, 03:47 PM']I believe the Japanese version doesn't have the 70's bridge pickup placement, though it does have US Vintage pickups IIRC.[/quote]

Correct.

You might also want to consider the Classic 70s jazz. It also has the 70s bridge pick up position and is about 1/3 the new cost of the US 75 reissue. Used about 1/2 the US cost. Both have the lovely block markers.

I'd recommend the classic 70s as better all round value and the difference in quality is hard to see. Body is alder versus ash on the US 75. Again, they sound different but I wouldn't like to bet on a blind listening. :)

If you don't like the 70s pick ups (I do) then they are cheap and easy to change.

Frank.

Based on my experiences I think the spacing definitely has a very noticeable effect on the sound, and the body wood probably too makes some difference.

But.

As I've said on here before, I thought the pickups in my Jap 75RI (allegedly US) were rubbish compared to the Vintage Alnico ones in the Classic 70s, and now the Classic 70s pickups sit in my ash Jap 75RI while a pair of genuine US 75 Vintages are waiting to be installed in the Classic 70s :) The (Mexican) Vintage Alnicos made a big positive difference to the tone of the Jap jazz so it'll be an interesting comparison once I throw the US 75s into the mix.

Remember also, the 75 Vintage pickups in the US75RI are a different part number to the 'normal' vintage pickups as used in the 62RI!

Once I've done a comparison between the three pickups sets then I will report back, I keep meaning to do this but work is getting in the way of my geeky fun :)

I wasn't over keen on the stock pickups so replaced them with Wizards.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TWM7WRrp2g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TWM7WRrp2g[/url]

I am using flatwounds on that and favouring the neck pickup.

The 70's placement does have[u][i] that[/i][/u] sound though.

Jap 75 is an amazing bass but it can't mach with US Vintage '75 which is The Ultimate Jazz Bass (along with the US Vintage '62)

But it's not only because of the pickups. The neck, the feel, the vibe, the sound.. totally different world, dude.
However, I'd say it's more for a fans / maniacs / worshippers and collectors - if you treat your bass just as a tool, the Jap 75 should be just great and you won't be satisfied with the money spent on US Vintage '75.