Why become a member? ×

Who Remembers SAI of Standish & Coppull

Lee-7

[color="#FF0000"]After responding to a post on NWB's website last night regarding an SAI cab, I decided to try and find photo's of the old SAI bass cab & head I owned. Only coming across the one photo for now.[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]This was made by SAI (Sound Advice Installations) who were based in Standish/Coppull and Preston back in the late 60's and 70's producing cabs & amps that were based mainly on Vox & Marshall of that period. I think they were all class A valve amplification, of a very high standard and a make of amp you see very little of these days.

This one was made around 1970/75 and consisted of 4x12" Celestion G12's and a 50w Class A valve head. At the time of owning this I didn't play bass guitar, only 6 string, plus I own an old AC30 so other amps don't come close to that in my opinion, so it was sat in the garage for a few yrs. In a moment of madness I decided to sell the rig and placed it on eBay, this is about 5yrs ago at least, I sold it to gentleman who was based in LA (USA) who collected old british amps and then hired them out to local recording studios for bands that wanted that british sound.

I think at the time I got about £600.00 for it, definitely a bad move on my part selling it as it would have only increased in value, especially as it was mint, looked like it had never come out of the showroom..........If & when I come across pictures of the internals I will post them up.[/color]

Lee :)

Edited by Lee-7

That's just jogged my memory... :)

I used to have an SAI 2x15, this will be around 1977-78. It had a square cut-out aperture on the front, revealing the internal rockwool padding and was rather heavy but didn't go particularly deep in terms of frequency response. It was driven by a Sound City 120 and went pretty loud though. I'd bought it for £30 from a superbly gifted bass player called Paddy Brannigan who I met at university. Wonder what happened to him...... :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1016830' date='Nov 8 2010, 07:56 PM']Don't know anything about SAI, but my Dad has a head made by Nolan (who were based in NI, I think?) which is remarkably similar!

Second from the top...

[/quote]

I researched Nolan a few years back after seeing a few go on ebay fairly cheaply. Although they relocated to Ireland (where they were still making PA cabs at the time I was researching), they started off in Holloway before moving to Forest Hill.
[attachment=63416:Nolan_Ad.jpg]

[quote name='barneyg42' post='1016817' date='Nov 8 2010, 07:49 PM']Just found this.... [url="http://www.undergroundsai.co.uk/About_Us.html"]http://www.undergroundsai.co.uk/About_Us.html[/url][/quote]

Underground SAI is owned and run by a friend of mine called, Frank Patterson. Frank deals in allsorts of PA equipment, new & used big and small, nice guy to deal with. He did have an old SAI stalwart working longside him for a while, Mick Atherton, some might know Mick from when he had his business in Standish, MA Amps................Was their for many years.

Lee :)

[quote name='Musky' post='1017003' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:49 PM']I researched Nolan a few years back after seeing a few go on ebay fairly cheaply. Although they relocated to Ireland (where they were still making PA cabs at the time I was researching), they started off in Holloway before moving to Forest Hill.
[attachment=63416:Nolan_Ad.jpg][/quote]

Talk about memory lane - I used to go to their Forest Hill shop as a kid, had one of their Twin Reverb clone amps - great but huge, think my dad got a bit fed up helping me cart it around!