Why become a member? ×

jim dunlop crybaby

LeftyBiskit

I've just made a kick ass ruby murray-bucket loads of chicken and spinach etc,washed it down with a bottle of Asda'a best 3 for 10quid red wine(coz we've no gig this weekend) and was thinkin about wether to purchase the JD Crybaby wah pedal-dirt cheap off someone i know, but then the frequency response as it is doesnt cut the mustard-therefore my burning question to all BC'ers out there ---is it possible to modify said pedal to do the business for bass guitar-all replies gratefully recieved.
many thanks- soggy biskit!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1015110' date='Nov 7 2010, 11:37 AM'][url="http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/"]http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/[/url]

Mods under 'DIY Resources', sweep range seems to be the bass specific one.[/quote]

I've modded my crybaby like that. I'll upload some sound samples later, if I get chance.

I've currently a rev C GCB-100 crybaby bass wah on my workbench (belongs to Gareth Hughes of this parish). As standard it's a hopeless, tone-sucking piece of excrement. That's being polite about it. After carrying out ALL of the mods mentioned on the wah-wah site above, namely 33k Q mod (added pot for variable Q), 470 ohm gain & bass mod, 1k5 mid mod, 68k input mod, it really is rather good compared to the original product (didn't need to change the cap value as that's the only difference between a guitar crybaby and a bass crybaby). Still drops some bass end when engaged though but I plan to get round that by adding a variable blend (like an effects loop built into the pedal with the wah circuit in the loop). That should help it quite a bit I would think. Also plan on adding true bypass with status LED.

BTW did you know that the only difference between the current standard cry baby and a zakk wylde signature cry baby is 1 component value and a lick of paint... or £40 if you're daft enough to buy one new...

Edited by Bigwan

Ok, here's a bit of audio, the playing is rubbish as I'd just got home from work and I'm shattered.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/modded-cry-baby-test"]Audio link[/url]
Let me know if the link doesn't work as I'm linking to soundcloud and I never used it before...

0:00 - 0:13 Uneffected bass
0:15 - 0:24 Cry-Baby set to normal
0:25 - 0:41 Cry-Baby set to "bass"
0:41 - 1:40 Cry-Baby set to "bass" & distortion on
1:41 - 2:11 Cry-Baby set to normal & distortion on
2:11 - End Cry-Baby set to "bass" & distortion on (ending with playing mainly with heel down)

The mod is a little extreme set as it is, I could change the positioning of the main control pot to change the freq. centre (if you know what I mean)

Edited by bartelby

My "dead wah" from eBay arrived today, opened it up and a capacitor fell out. Admittedly I bought it knowing that it didn't work, and it's no biggie as I've got stacks of components. On the seller's feedback I gave him full marks for an accurate description :) . Hopefully I'll start modding it tonight. I'll post some photos / audio as soon as I have any.

Nice mods too Bartleby, some SERIOUS modding there! Great sounds too.

After reading this post I ve decided to break out my skills with the pcb board (not used since GCSE electronics).

I have the dunlop cry baby GCB 95, I just have one question.

Hod you take the circuit board out? As it is held in by both input and output jacks and the power supply jack.

Thanks in Advance.

[quote name='Brookesy13' post='1021988' date='Nov 12 2010, 10:29 PM']Hod you take the circuit board out? As it is held in by both input and output jacks and the power supply jack.

Thanks in Advance.[/quote]

Undo the input and output jacks using pliers to undo the "nut". The power supply just butts up against the enclosure, it's not attached IIRC.

Just a note, Crybaby Modders. I've just conducted a rough (by that I mean fairly accurate, but not exact) experiment using my bass, Protools (7.4) a wah pedal (with the 0.068uf cap replaced, but no other mods) and a frequency analyser plugin. I wanted to know EXACTLY how much low end got sucked out of my signal when using the Wah pedal in bypass mode. The results were fairly staggering.

It seems that the bass guitar (straight into the MBOX) produced bass frequencies (between 40 - 110Hz) at a level round about -30dB (on average) , with the Wah in the signal path (but not engaged) these key frequencies dropped to -40dB.

Let's hear it for the 'True Bypass' mod... That's next on my list.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1025240' date='Nov 15 2010, 09:42 PM']Let's hear it for the 'True Bypass' mod... That's next on my list.[/quote]

I've been meaning to do this mod, just haven't gotten around to it. My pedal is really still a work in progress as I'm sure there's still chance for me to kill it, like my other modded pedals...