Why become a member? ×

I think I've broken My Ashdown

simontdo

Hi guys,

I need some technical assistance (and possibly a new amp ;) )

I was rehersing with the band last night and I started having a few problems with my amp. At first I though it might be the Sax player's Wireless transmitter interfering with mine (it it still may have been). I was getting some intermittent squeaks and pops out of my amp. Anyway, checked it out, sax player changed channels and it seemed to go away. Until 30 mins later when my bass starts distorting (bit like Muse :) ). I tried new batteries, disconnected the extension cab, and then the one in the combo, but still the same. I cant have blown all 3, can I? :huh:

Its an ABM 500 15" combo with a 2x10" extension cab.

Anybody else had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance

Simon

[quote name='simontdo' post='115347' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:09 PM']Hi guys,

I was rehersing with the band last night and I started having a few problems with my amp. At first I though it might be the Sax player's Wireless transmitter interfering with mine (it it still may have been). I was getting some intermittent squeaks and pops out of my amp. Anyway, checked it out, sax player changed channels and it seemed to go away. Until 30 mins later when my bass starts distorting (bit like Muse :) ). I tried new batteries, disconnected the extension cab, and then the one in the combo, but still the same. I cant have blown all 3, can I? :huh:

Thanks in advance

Simon[/quote]

Did you check the batteries in your wireless and the squelch control?
Last time I had 'orrible sounds like that it was the squelch.
No idea what it does but it stopped the distortion.

[quote name='simontdo' post='115347' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:09 PM']Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Simon[/quote]

Do you use a mix of solid-state and valve. I had an intermittent with my ABM and found I could cure it by re-seating the pre-amp valve. Take it out and push it back in again.

[quote]Did you check the batteries in your wireless and the squelch control?
Last time I had 'orrible sounds like that it was the squelch.
No idea what it does but it stopped the distortion.[/quote]

Checked that. In fact, I tried it direct into the amp with no wirelss or FX.

[quote]Do you use a mix of solid-state and valve. I had an intermittent with my ABM and found I could cure it by re-seating the pre-amp valve. Take it out and push it back in again.[/quote]

I do use it mixed. Just off to go and play with it now. I'll check the valve.

well, I tried it this afternoon and it was fine.

It had been running about 3 hours when it went wrong, but its never done it before.

I've taken it to bits. The valve didn't seem loose, But I'll order a new one anyway (thanks Machines).

Ashdown said it sounds like my output devices going soft :)

Edited by simontdo

Actually I sorted the problem.

I was rehersing last night and an hour in, it did the same thing again. I tried the valve/solid state blend - no difference. So I DI'd it straight into the PA. Same thing ;)

I changed the batteries in the Bass (again) and all was well. :)

It turns out that our g*****ist (who supplied me with new batteries last week) got a job lot of PP3s and they're rubbish. Half of them are duff and those that work, seem to fade after a couple of hours use. Then if you leave them for a day they're ok again (well, for a few hours).

Duracell from now on :huh:

Edited by simontdo

[quote name='simontdo' post='120254' date='Jan 14 2008, 05:37 PM']Actually I sorted the problem.

I was rehersing last night and an hour in, it did the same thing again. I tried the valve/solid state blend - no difference. So I DI'd it straight into the PA. Same thing ;)

I changed the batteries in the Bass (again) and all was well. :)

It turns out that our g*****ist (who supplied me with new batteries last week) got a job lot of PP3s and they're rubbish. Half of them are duff and those that work, seem to fade after a couple of hours use. Then if you leave them for a day they're ok again (well, for a few hours).

Duracell from now on :huh:[/quote]

You havn't been playing faster than him or standing at the front of the stage recently have you?

:) Same thing to me happened, bro...

Whole story's here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10292"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10292[/url]

I said 'em all - it [i]really looks like[/i] the amp's broken, or dead, or sick,or ill, whatever...!!!!!

It was the first time for you with that battery trick, wasn't it, bro?

[quote name='Faithless' post='120819' date='Jan 15 2008, 02:29 PM']:) Same thing to me happened, bro...

Whole story's here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10292"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10292[/url]

I said 'em all - it [i]really looks like[/i] the amp's broken, or dead, or sick,or ill, whatever...!!!!!

It was the first time for you with that battery trick, wasn't it, bro?[/quote]

Quality! I've seen that happen before... the funny thing is, the guy I saw it happen to and he had a backup bass which he reached for... only to find the batteries in that were on the way out also.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='120988' date='Jan 15 2008, 05:27 PM']Quality! I've seen that happen before... the funny thing is, the guy I saw it happen to and he had a backup bass which he reached for... only to find the batteries in that were on the way out also.[/quote]

Makes me all nostalgic for the days when basses had no batteries in 'em...

Yeah, I know a lot don't, but most if mine *do* :)