Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB-3

RickIronWitch

I've got an EB-3 that I picked up new at the start of the year for £160 in a New Year/closing down sale. It rarely gets uses because of the neck dive, but the neck's nice to play, and has a nice acoustic sound if not an amplified one IMO. I would sell it and use the funds to put towards a P Bass but my girlfriend wont let me because it's too pretty :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1016391' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:26 PM']I'd say "mitigates" rather than "sorts"[/quote]

+1

I'd also say that the finish could probably be a bit thinner too. I wouldn't mind a nice 'worn' cherry finish instead of the gloss one on it just now.

A nice strap with a roughish material that sticks to you rather than soft vinyl that makes the bass slip on the your shoulder is the order of the day.

There are 2 ways to help the neck dive as well. The most expensive is to buy a Hipshot Supertone bridge which is a big chunky affair and improves the ability to adjust the action, is in contact with the body rather than the factory floating one and it weighs a ton.

The second that I read about on Talkbass is to add a counterweight to the control cavity. Someone there found the exact amount of quarters taped together needed to counterbalance the bass.

Fantastic basses, a bit like a Jazz on steroids.

Yep - fat leather strap sorts it out, no problems. Its a bit odd that the balance is so bad without tho!

I paid over the odds for mine - close to 300 a few years ago. Got hooked on the looks, so that'll teach me for being shallow. I think its good for what it is, but can't decided if its a keeper.