Why become a member? ×

Line 6 M9 vs Boss GT-6B

pantherairsoft

I'm bombarding with threads tonight.... Sorry!

I need some effects for a side project as deconstructing my board is a silly task every few days. I was going for a few stomp boxes but due to costs of pedals I'm happy with I thought I'd investigate multi's...

The two that seem to fit the bill are the Line 6 M9 and Boss GT-6B.

I effectively need 3 effects... Delay with tap tempo, chorus (and maybe flanger) and a fat Overdrive/Fuzz.

Any users of both that can comment on the over tone comparison between the two on these effects?

Cheers

Shep

[quote name='Colledge' post='1011235' date='Nov 3 2010, 07:21 PM']i've never used the m9, but i've been very impressed with the fuzz / overdrives and amp models available on my gt6-b, i use it mostly for a bit of subtle chorus and flanger the majority of the time though, can do subtle much better than any other effects ive used.[/quote]

Cool. Good stuff. The GT-6B having the built in expression/volume pedal males it appealing as well

ME-50B should also fit the bill (Not sure if it can do delay & chorus at the same time?)

Edited by pantherairsoft

i've found it come in handy too, tend to use it for volume more than anything else, so i ca tone it down a bit on certain songs when i have a compressor on.

assigning it to things like low pass filters with synths can get some pretty impressive results too if you're into that sorta thing.

hey Shep

the m9 and m13 are a bit lacking on there own in the drive/fuzz department unless you use some kind of blending for the clean signal. Delays chorus' and flangers are all pretty good tho' and then you've got other stuff like ring mods etc etc

[quote name='steve' post='1011277' date='Nov 3 2010, 07:55 PM']hey Shep

the m9 and m13 are a bit lacking on there own in the drive/fuzz department unless you use some kind of blending for the clean signal. Delays chorus' and flangers are all pretty good tho' and then you've got other stuff like ring mods etc etc[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. Ironically the feedback around the net seems to think it's the Chorus tones that are lacking in the M9/13. Nice hear otherwise from a real person though!

Shep

I've got the M9. The dirt isn't as bad as I expected it to be (I've used one of the overdrives and also the Muff model live and been happy with them) and the delays are good, but it's lacking in the modulation department. Not many choices of chorus and flanger and I didn't really love the sound of any of them. With maybe the exception of the Dimension C model which is quite interesting.

Couple of plus points for the M9 though: It's easy to program, the interface is mostly sensible, although they've had to make some compromises over the M13 to pack all the functionality in. And the way you can set a single expression pedal to control almost any (or all) parameters on one, two, or three effects at once - that's a really nice feature that opens up a lot of slick possibilities.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1011369' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:23 PM']Couple of plus points for the M9 though: It's easy to program, the interface is mostly sensible, although they've had to make some compromises over the M13 to pack all the functionality in. And the way you can set a single expression pedal to control almost any (or all) parameters on one, two, or three effects at once - that's a really nice feature that opens up a lot of slick possibilities.[/quote]

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1011373' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:25 PM']So if your running 3 effects at once you can set the expression pedal to change a parameter within each effect at the same time? If so that is A - Mental, and B - Cool![/quote]

+1 this is a fantastic feature, I use an M13 now because I slightly favour the interface and use the send/return to do the parallel processing thing. One nice trick is to have fuzz/OD in one path, and a clean or possibly eq'd signal in the other path, then you can use one (or two) expression pedals to cross fade the depth of dirt with the volume of the clean signal path to vary the dirt while maintaining the same volume.

Yeah. Like you might have it operating as a +2 octave whammy using pitch glide on the first stomp, have it also controlling the cut-off frequency *and* Q of a filter on the second stomp, and finally controlling the feedback level and/or delay time and/or wet volume of a delay on the third one. Or other stuff like that. You can also use it as a two-state switch on some effects, like changing the pitch of a synth from one octave to another (I have one patch where I have a square wave bass synth on the heel position, then a square lead synth (+1 octave, open the synth patch's filter up a bit) on the toe), or having a different harmony note (or different key, or both) set on toe and heel positions on the smart harmony patch.

To me that's the best feature on the M9. Oh and you can plug in a second expression pedal if you want tell it which patches each pedal will be in charge of (you can set this per scene). Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to have each pedal control different params on the same effect, but maybe someone else who's actually got two expression pedals can correct me!

Hmmmm.... That sounds more interesting. Seems the M9 does the synth and filter thing much better...

I need to avoid getting carried away though as I have a huge pedal board already...

Chorus/Flanger, Delay & Fuzz/OD - would us expression for volume/swell. Based on those 3 things the Boss seems as though it may be the stronger unit?

I've got the zoom b9.1 and it's fantastic. It comfortably replaced my huge separates board and is better than the boss in everyway imho, ime. Instant switching, a separate loop, two way pedal, valve preamp, better sounds, easier to use. Just newer and better. And can be had for £250. I've only scratched the surface of mine but I'll sing it's praises all day. And i was all about separate pedals (ive owned three gt6b's too!)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1012512' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:10 PM']What made you decide on the M9 in the end?[/quote]

The unit is much more user friendly, far less twiddling. I'd say I prefered the modulation on the M9. Delays had little between them, but the dirt on the M9 was far better on the bass.

Also the expression on the M9 seems you can put it to far better use.

• 1 year later...