Why become a member? ×

Left Hand Pain.

chaypup

I expect this is covered elsewhere but I can't seem to find it....

I am experiencing a pain in my left hand between the last 2 knuckles when I have been practising recently.

Is this the ligaments?

Should I push on through it so me hand will get stronger or do I need to rest it?

Thanks for any advice!

A bit more info may be helpful.

Re the bass;

- How long have you been playing ? newbie ? years ? changed style or type of music lately ? changed duration of playing times ? strings ? tuning (goes to string tension), Practice times / environment / duration changed ? new techniques ?

re the hand;

- Any history of previous problems ? recent injuries ? anything else ?

The answers to these questions ( and the others to follow) will help with answers to your opening question

Hope all gets better soon :)

T

Thanks for the replies.

I've been playing for 6 years but had a break for a few months whilst I travelled.

Since coming back I've got right back into it with various projects and am playing between 1hour and 6 hours a day.

However my hand was ok until I started learning a load of ska songs which are all down the bottom end of the neck so maybe that's it

No history of injury with the hand or anything like that.

Don't want to rest it too much as I have a load of songs to learn for gigs coming up!

Cheers! :)

[quote name='chaypup' post='1010070' date='Nov 2 2010, 09:32 PM']Thanks for the replies.

I've been playing for 6 years but had a break for a few months whilst I travelled.

Since coming back I've got right back into it with various projects and am playing between 1hour and 6 hours a day.

However my hand was ok until I started learning a load of ska songs which are all down the bottom end of the neck so maybe that's it

No history of injury with the hand or anything like that.

[b]Don't want to rest it too much as I have a load of songs to learn for gigs coming up![/b]
Cheers! :)[/quote]
If you don't rest it, you won't be much use on those gigs. As said already, NEVER play through the pain, that only applies to muscle building exercise where you want to break the muscle down. You absolutely need to rest it until whatever damage you have done recovers.

If it is damage, such as tiny tears to the tendons or ligaments, or inflammation in the soft tissues which are putting pressure on some of the the nerves in your hand (which is what it sounds like), you NEED TO REST AND RECOVER. If you don't the damage will not heal, the inflammation will increase, and you run the risk of it becoming a chronic problem, which you DO NOT WANT.

I think you have gone straight back to bass and not built up the supporting muscle strength and may also have bad hand and body posture. I won't go on because Essex is an expert in this field and can help you way beyond what I can. Listen to him and follow his advice.

Good luck.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='chaypup' post='1010660' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:49 PM']Thanks for the advice.

Looking around the internet, it seems that ice massage is the best way to help this - anyone tried it and had success?[/quote]
It will help reduce inflammation as it is a vaso-constrictor. But that is assuming what you have damaged has a blood supply. Ligaments and tendons, and cartilage has little or none.

You have really not given enough info to go on, so I would suggest you see a physio, or at least your GP, if the pain persists. As as been said, it is not difficult to make an acute injury into a chronic one, so take it seriously.

[quote name='Wally' post='1010010' date='Nov 2 2010, 08:25 PM']Start resting immediately. Absolutely do not play through the pain. The more experienced than I will pick up your post shortly with further advice.[/quote]

Absolutely right (as others have advised). Stop and rest the hand immediately.

It's very common to have this after not playing for some time. Also a new bass (with slightly different dimensions) can bring this on. Ease your way back on the bass after resting.

If stopping playing isn't an option due to gig commitments, can you lower the action on your bass?

Maybe you could experiment with altering tunings between songs to use more open strings. Or maybe string your bass down a 4th so you are playing low stuff higher up the neck.

You dont need a bass in your arms to learn/nail a song - you could sing along, or transcribe.

good luck!

[quote name='silddx' post='1010488' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:30 AM']If you don't rest it, you won't be much use on those gigs. As said already, NEVER play through the pain, that only applies to muscle building exercise where you want to break the muscle down. You absolutely need to rest it until whatever damage you have done recovers.

If it is damage, such as tiny tears to the tendons or ligaments, or inflammation in the soft tissues which are putting pressure on some of the the nerves in your hand (which is what it sounds like), you NEED TO REST AND RECOVER. If you don't the damage will not heal, the inflammation will increase, and you run the risk of it becoming a chronic problem, which you DO NOT WANT.

I think you have gone straight back to bass and not built up the supporting muscle strength and may also have bad hand and body posture. I won't go on because Essex is an expert in this field and can help you way beyond what I can. Listen to him and follow his advice.

Good luck.[/quote]

Cheers Nigel. Thanks for saving me the effort about the rest and recover. +1 to this

To the OP - If you're serious about your career or having a good hand to work with for the future, get your GP to refer you to a physio PDQ. :)

T

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='chaypup' post='1009996' date='Nov 2 2010, 08:13 PM']I expect this is covered elsewhere but I can't seem to find it....

I am experiencing a pain in my left hand between the last 2 knuckles when I have been practising recently.

Is this the ligaments?

Should I push on through it so me hand will get stronger or do I need to rest it?

Thanks for any advice![/quote]
GO SEE YOUR GP ....NOW!!!
Dont keep on playing,you may just make it worse....

Thank you good people of basschat!

I haven't played since last night when it started hurting and I have been icing it and using ibuprofen gel. Appointment made to see GP tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Ps that's icing it as in massaging it with ice, not cake icing! :)