Why become a member? ×

CLEANING COATED STRINGS

LITTLEWING

I've just started using Elixir Nanowebs and where I've cleaned 'ordinary' strings successfully with surgical spirits, how do you clean these guys ? Would the spirit take off the coating or is there another simple remedy for wiping them ? By the way, may I be the first to wish all low-enders a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !

[quote name='LITTLEWING' post='1009876' date='Nov 2 2010, 06:22 PM']By the way, may I be the first to wish all low-enders a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year ![/quote]

erm... thank you but... it's the 2nd of November!!!!!! :)

coated strings can also get dirty. They won't rust, but get dirty.
Ethanol / Isopropanol (aka rubbing alcohol) / methylated spirits all will dissolve "finger cheese" and help clean strings without damaging the coating. You just need to wipe the strings gently after a long session/gig and they'll keep pretty clean.

In addition... I like to wash my hands *before* I pee (afterwards too) and before I play. That also helps somewhat.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1009893' date='Nov 2 2010, 06:34 PM']erm... thank you but... it's the 2nd of November!!!!!! :)

coated strings can also get dirty. They won't rust, but get dirty.
Ethanol / Isopropanol (aka rubbing alcohol) / methylated spirits all will dissolve "finger cheese" and help clean strings without damaging the coating. You just need to wipe the strings gently after a long session/gig and they'll keep pretty clean.

In addition... I like to wash my hands *before* I pee (afterwards too) and before I play. That also helps somewhat.[/quote]

Yeah, I heard that too about clean hands. Stops you putting the skin's oil and grease onto the strings. I'll carry on with surgical spirits then. It's still Isopropanol but a different blend. My low 'B' has gone dull, so here I go. Cheers.

You shouldn't need to clean Elixirs. The whole point is the coating doesn't allow finger gick to get into the winds of the string. Unlike the other coated strings, Elixirs are coated after the string has been wound, so a quick rub with a dry cloth should be enough. If it isn't, time for a new string.

All i do to mine is give them a wipe with a soft cloth after Ive finished playing them, thats about all that you should need to do to them .

Another trick that i found out by accident was........ i always keep old strings for that "you never no situation" that never happens ware you break one well i broke one, to cut a story short i put a complete set of old coated strings back on while i ordered a new set an was shocked that the time that they had spent in the packet, on the shelf had kind of rejuvenated them in some way ? ?? i was shocked that they sounded bright again, i thought that it was going to ware off pretty quickly but nope , month later an still usable
Think what I'm going to do it try rotating them, before put a brand new set on put the old set back on an see how it goes !

[quote name='danny-79' post='1010036' date='Nov 2 2010, 08:50 PM']All i do to mine is give them a wipe with a soft cloth after Ive finished playing them, thats about all that you should need to do to them .

Another trick that i found out by accident was........ i always keep old strings for that "you never no situation" that never happens ware you break one well i broke one, to cut a story short i put a complete set of old coated strings back on while i ordered a new set an was shocked that the time that they had spent in the packet, on the shelf had kind of rejuvenated them in some way ? ?? i was shocked that they sounded bright again, i thought that it was going to ware off pretty quickly but nope , month later an still usable
Think what I'm going to do it try rotating them, before put a brand new set on put the old set back on an see how it goes ![/quote]

Ooh, nice tip. I've got lots of old sets :)