Why become a member? ×

1984 Gordon Smith Galaxy bass

Shaggy

“Thinning down the herd” as they say, and this one I genuinely hate to part with as it’s one of the nicest all-round basses I’ve ever owned, and despite all the vintage exotica I have this one infallibly gets the most interest from fellow musos and sound bods. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen, for sale or otherwise.

It’s a 1984 Gordon Smith Galaxy semi-acoustic bass, 100% original, and in almost as new condition; a couple of minor surface scratches on the back and the inevitable tiny dings on the end of the headstock is all.

Gordon Smith have been hand-building electric guitars near Manchester since the late 70’s; and have a reputation for making understated, simple, high-quality player’s instruments using top-notch but relatively plain materials. Where they really excel is the quality of the craftsmanship and finishing, and the sheer playability and tone of their instruments. They still make the Galaxy guitar; [url="http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/products/category.php?id=9"]http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/products/category.php?id=9[/url] - which go for over a grand, but sadly don’t make basses any longer.

Specs;
[list]
[*]Large thinline semi-acoustic body; maple / ash laminate front and back, mahogany rims. Single Florentine cutaway, bound body edges, cherryburst gloss finish. Bridge and p/ups mounted on central sustain block (a la Gibson EB2 etc) Funky triple “F” holes (which allows internal radial top bracing to run between the holes).
[*]Long scale maple set neck, brass nut, rosewood f/board with abalone markers. Body end truss rod adjust.
[*]Twin narrow soapbar p/ups (I’m guessing Kent Armstrongs or similar) V/V/T/T passive rotary controls, p/up selector switch (bridge / both / neck) mounted Les-Paul style on upper front body bout.
[*]All Schaller hardware; nickel large BM tuners and chrome 3-D bridge / tailpiece.
[/list]
Bass is a lightweight given its construction – will have to weigh it on the neighbours scales for anyone interested! It neither plays nor sounds like you’d expect given its retro looks. The neck is Jazz-bass slim and very fast indeed, especially as you can drop the action down ultra-low with no fret buzz. The tone is also like a very, very nice Jazz bass; hi-fi articulate and growly with only a subtle acoustic quality, and light-years away from the “thump” of my ’69 EB2D. Nice slap tone too.
Only downside is the front edge of the slab body does dig into your forearm a bit Rickenbacker-style, but as it’s a very shallow thinline I got used to it quickly.

In an as new “large” Hiscox liteflite hard case.

Looking for £450 collected (S Wales) or shipping on top; thanks but no trade offers.

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='ash' post='1009901' date='Nov 2 2010, 06:44 PM']I had one of these, identical to this - got it off Ebay - very, very nice, to my regret I put it back on Evilbay when I got my EUB. Not my old one is it?[/quote]

Hmm.....did buy off evilbay a couple of years back, same price but without any case. Only thing sticks in my mind is it was a "collection only" listing but I persuaded the seller to post; smooth deal otherwise. You? :) I think I've got the original ebay pics somewhere.

I'm honestly just as happy to keep this but am getting nagged to make some space and don't hold with "feeler" listings. I originally bought this for a '60's project band, but it was so good & versatile it ended up as my main squeeze. Anyone considering a Jack Casady or similar, or even a "different" Jazz-type bass would be blown away by it.

Edited by Shaggy

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1029831' date='Nov 19 2010, 07:50 PM']Price drop to £400, or £350 if anyone wants it without the case (I can use it for another "semi")

- massive amount of lovely, luthier-built bass for the dosh[/quote]

Sure you won't swap?