Why become a member? ×

Matamp/Orange 2x15

XPAULUSX

Yo!

I've been offerd what i think could be a bargain. An Orange 2x15 bass cab for the small price of £150 pounds.

I dont know much about it and haven't seen any pictures of the thing yet but it's supposed to be in good nick.

I dont think Orange make 2x15's anymore right?

Could i be onto a winner with this?

Cheers!

Edited by XPAULUSX

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1008065' date='Nov 1 2010, 12:34 AM']I reckon so, crude but effective sryle, if you can shift it. Old Orange stuff is worth a premium, I'd use it just for the horrible clash with my green Matamp.[/quote]

Crude but effective style?

why is that? i cant even find a picture of one!

[quote name='Dubs' post='1008255' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:17 AM']Are you sure it's an Orange 2x15 and not just an orange 2x15? :) Definitely sounds like a good price though![/quote]

haha funnily enough when i got told about it i asked the very same question!

it's an Orange i have been assured of that :)

just waiting on pics etc,i'll post them up here when i get them for you all to have a look!

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1008247' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:08 AM']Crude but effective style?

why is that? i cant even find a picture of one![/quote]

Crude but effective as in it is a big heavy wooden box with speakers in it, and it will be loud, rather than some intricately designed piece of flat response speaker theorist pleasing lightweight technology.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1008279' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:43 AM']Crude but effective as in it is a big heavy wooden box with speakers in it, and it will be loud, rather than some intricately designed piece of flat response speaker theorist pleasing lightweight technology.[/quote]

Sounds right up my street :)

here you go took me a few seconds to find in google

[url="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dvWarZdtQTw7CM:http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/Lorenz8/ORANGEREFLEX/OR15f.jpg&t=1"]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dvWarZd...15f.jpg&t=1[/url]

[quote name='umph' post='1008287' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:51 AM']here you go took me a few seconds to find in google

[url="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dvWarZdtQTw7CM:http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/Lorenz8/ORANGEREFLEX/OR15f.jpg&t=1"]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dvWarZd...15f.jpg&t=1[/url][/quote]

looks mental that!

where on earth are the speakers mounted?

are they massive ports on the top and bottom?

That looks mega. I'd happily be seen in public with that ginger beast :)

*Disclaimer* I find the hot chicks with red hair really attractive

[quote name='umph' post='1008287' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:51 AM']here you go took me a few seconds to find in google

[url="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dvWarZdtQTw7CM:http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/Lorenz8/ORANGEREFLEX/OR15f.jpg&t=1"]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dvWarZd...15f.jpg&t=1[/url][/quote]

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' post='1008299' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:02 AM']That looks mega. I'd happily be seen in public with that ginger beast :)

*Disclaimer* I find the hot chicks with red hair really attractive[/quote]

Just got the pics through email...

can't post them up yet as my work computer wont allow webmail!

it's an Orange alright, with the Matamp brand logo also on the front!!

This is looking like a good deal :)

any thoughts? I'll put the images up once i get home!

Edited by XPAULUSX

Once upon a time - in the '70s my main gigging cab was an Orange 2x18 driven with a HiWatt 200 + another 200 slave :lol: 400 Beautilicious Valve Watts. It was a HUGE sound! I'm sure a 2 x15 driven with suitable oommph is going to flap some trouser bottoms!

Go for it :)

PS: I was young once - honest :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1008692' date='Nov 1 2010, 04:34 PM']Once upon a time - in the '70s my main gigging cab was an Orange 2x18 driven with a HiWatt 200 + another 200 slave :lol: 400 Beautilicious Valve Watts. It was a HUGE sound! I'm sure a 2 x15 driven with suitable oommph is going to flap some trouser bottoms!

Go for it :)

PS: I was young once - honest :)[/quote]

I think i might have to!!!!

I've got some pictures here, the lad selling it has no idea of the spec's of the cab, so i have no idea about the RMS, impedence, speakers loaded in it or anything!

i'm hoping some of you fine gentlemenm will be able to help me after looking at these pics, theyre not the best quality, but they're all i've got at the moment.

I hope someone will be able to help me with this!!!

Excited is not the word!

You could replace those drivers for much 'better' modern ones relatively cheaply yourself, or you could ask MatAmp to do it for a premium and have the hassle of getting it to them, waiting for them to do it, and picking it up...

£150 for the cab, £100 for 2 15" Fane Sovereign drivers (example) = 800W beasty.

Good job it's on casters, looks like it weighs a tonne! Also looks proper cool :)

Edited by Dubs

Go For it, it'a no brainer !! It's not the big Horn Cab , but should still sound good.
For outdoor gigs, I use an old Acoustic corp 2 x 15 cab, but I replaced the speakers with Eminence 3015's. Bloody awsome. Go for it ! ( I've also got a 70's Orange 1 x 15 cab, thats great too, but it does have the EV speaker, not ( what looks like ) the fanes in the cab your looking at..Btw, just had a thought, get them to tell you the measurements, make sure they are 15's, Orange did a lot of PA and Disco gear using 12 " fanes .

[quote name='Chimike' post='1008923' date='Nov 1 2010, 07:49 PM']Go For it, it'a no brainer !! It's not the big Horn Cab , but should still sound good.
For outdoor gigs, I use an old Acoustic corp 2 x 15 cab, but I replaced the speakers with Eminence 3015's. Bloody awsome. Go for it ! ( I've also got a 70's Orange 1 x 15 cab, thats great too, but it does have the EV speaker, not ( what looks like ) the fanes in the cab your looking at..Btw, just had a thought, get them to tell you the measurements, make sure they are 15's, Orange did a lot of PA and Disco gear using 12 " fanes .[/quote]

So what's the impedance of this cab likely to be? And if i replaced the speakers, what would it be with say either the eminence or the modern fanes mentioned above?

Edited by XPAULUSX

I'd guess it is a sealed cab, which makes the speaker requirement kind of specific. When you know it is definitely sealed or not, post it up and someone will figure best speakers to go in it. What head are you pairing it with? Actually have a bit of jealous going on.

Impedance is easy enough to figure by measuring the resistance, best way to go because it might tell you if there is speaker trouble before you upset your amp.

And if you don't like it, I want it, it will look horribly clashing under my green Matamp.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1008964' date='Nov 1 2010, 08:32 PM']I'd guess it is a sealed cab, which makes the speaker requirement kind of specific. When you know it is definitely sealed or not, post it up and someone will figure best speakers to go in it. What head are you pairing it with? Actually have a bit of jealous going on.

Impedance is easy enough to figure by measuring the resistance, best way to go because it might tell you if there is speaker trouble before you upset your amp.

And if you don't like it, I want it, it will look horribly clashing under my green Matamp.[/quote]

How will I tell if it is a sealed cab or not? It ain't ported, if the pics I posted above are a.thing to go by!

What speakers could I fit in it? And how hard would it be to wire them up?

Also looking at replacing the grill cloth when I get it, though that should be easy enough

Leave the grillcloth. There is science to choosing the right speakers, and it depends heavily on what you want it to sound like. If you can get measurements, you can work out the air volume in the cab and use WinISD to model some stuff, but it won't mean much to you (good learning process though). Figure what is in it currently, see if you like the sound of them. If so all, good, otherwise I'd email Eminence and Celestion with the cab dimensions and description and what is in it, and see what they recommend. No point in giving it 1000w of power handling if you are going to run a 120w valve head into it, and suchlike. I'm pretty sure it is a sealed cab.

Oh, and leave the grillcloth, mingy old grillcloths are part of the charm, and are also Doom.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1009020' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:24 PM']Leave the grillcloth. There is science to choosing the right speakers, and it depends heavily on what you want it to sound like. If you can get measurements, you can work out the air volume in the cab and use WinISD to model some stuff, but it won't mean much to you (good learning process though). Figure what is in it currently, see if you like the sound of them. If so all, good, otherwise I'd email Eminence and Celestion with the cab dimensions and description and what is in it, and see what they recommend. No point in giving it 1000w of power handling if you are going to run a 120w valve head into it, and suchlike. I'm pretty sure it is a sealed cab.

Oh, and leave the grillcloth, mingy old grillcloths are part of the charm, and are also Doom.[/quote]

I ain't even got a value head yet like, I reckon after getting this an ad200 would be top of my list, that or a gt200 may even just get myself a bass terror.

I'm gonna try it first and see what it sounds like with the speakers its loaded with now.

I'll keep you lot posted on what I do like, but I think general consensus id be bloody stupid not to buy this!

Reckon this would sound good with a sound city 120?

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009037' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:36 PM']I ain't even got a value head yet like, I reckon after getting this an ad200 would be top of my list, that or a gt200 may even just get myself a bass terror.

I'm gonna try it first and see what it sounds like with the speakers its loaded with now.

I'll keep you lot posted on what I do like, but I think general consensus id be bloody stupid not to buy this!

Reckon this would sound good with a sound city 120?[/quote]

Alright awesome :)

never used 15's like what should i expect?

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1009161' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:33 PM']Alright awesome :)

never used 15's like what should i expect?[/quote]

The speaker size doesn't tell you anything. The fact it is a sealed cab will be the major factor, mated with a valve head, and appropriate speakers, not massive lows, but loud bassyness, so not proper really low frequencies, but the bit you can hear as being low, done right should have plenty of thump to it, and depending on how you drive the head some growl in there if you drive it.