Why become a member? ×

Matamp/Orange 2x15

XPAULUSX

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1010753' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:43 PM']Just waiting on his reply now, surely if i get them, you can work your magic with that program you were talking about???

I'd be ever so grateful! :)[/quote]

Approx measurements are 34" high, 18" wide and 12" deep, work your magic Mr Foxen :)

That is pretty small.bunch smaller than I guessed, with speakers I was thinking of, gonna end up with a big peak at 150hz or so, boomy rubbishness. Eminence Legend B15 looks ok, but this is looking more guitar cabinet sorta size, where WinISD isn't so handy for 'tone'. Hopefully someone will apply better knowledge, because I'm not an expert on such things.

Edit: Browsing Eminence website, [url="http://eminence.com/bassguitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=legendca154&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=5"]this one seems to claim to be happy in a sealed box of that sort of size.[/url]

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1010872' date='Nov 3 2010, 03:04 PM']That is pretty small.bunch smaller than I guessed, with speakers I was thinking of, gonna end up with a big peak at 150hz or so, boomy rubbishness. Eminence Legend B15 looks ok, but this is looking more guitar cabinet sorta size, where WinISD isn't so handy for 'tone'. Hopefully someone will apply better knowledge, because I'm not an expert on such things.

Edit: Browsing Eminence website, [url="http://eminence.com/bassguitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=legendca154&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=5"]this one seems to claim to be happy in a sealed box of that sort of size.[/url][/quote]

Am i going to be pushing it trying to get this to work you reckon? they arn't exact measurments like, just the lads approximation.

besides, them speakers only are 4 ohms a piece, so i'd only have the option of either a 2 or 8 ohm cabinet right?

Wont be any good for me when i've still only got a tranny head!!

Would be okay with a valve head though i guess.

:) hmmmm pretty bummed out!

No prob with an 8ohm cab. You don't need to squeeze extra watts from a head with low impedance, if you have 2 15s.

Alternative style is close the top hole, add a mid driver there, and stick a Kappalite 3015LF in the bottom one, and sort a port. Immensely powerful modern sound and oldschool style.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1010924' date='Nov 3 2010, 03:37 PM']No prob with an 8ohm cab. You don't need to squeeze extra watts from a head with low impedance, if you have 2 15s.

Alternative style is close the top hole, add a mid driver there, and stick a Kappalite 3015LF in the bottom one, and sort a port. Immensely powerful modern sound and oldschool style.[/quote]

So it would be okay with a tranny amp?

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1010933' date='Nov 3 2010, 03:42 PM']Yes it would be fine you'll just get less power to it but that's not the end of the world depending on the head[/quote]

My head is only 300watts at 4 ohms.

But i'm looking at a bass terror or a vba400, wiring the cab for 2 ohms would suit the marshall, as it can go down to2 and the bass terror can handle 8 with the selector switch on the back.

Will those speakers you suggested give a decent sound or will it just be money wasted on a lovely old cabinet?

Edited by XPAULUSX

Youve got an unported cabinet that was designed for pa, and may or may not work with two new speakers you are considering buying.

The cabs going to cost you £150 plus 2 new speakers which you quoted at £100 ea so £350 all up for an unproved cab that you wont find it easy to shift on without loosing money if you dont like it.

If it were me i would look to a SH 2x15 designed for the job.

Just my 2 pennyworth.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1010964' date='Nov 3 2010, 03:58 PM']its only an inch and a half shallower than the BF Vintage, although thats ported.

Would anyone in the know know if it would be worth Paulus playing with some porting?[/quote]

Vintage has much thinner wood that gains it some inches, plus much cleverer drivers. I think best plan would be use it as a guitar cab/toppy end of a dual rig, it is what I'm going to do with it when I get my hands on it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1011134' date='Nov 3 2010, 05:54 PM']Vintage has much thinner wood that gains it some inches, plus much cleverer drivers. I think best plan would be use it as a guitar cab/toppy end of a dual rig, it is what I'm going to do with it when I get my hands on it.[/quote]
Is what i'd also do, although i've already got a matamp 2X15 that does that haha.

Best thing to do is hook me up with that cab and stop worrying about it.

As far as something to pair it up with, something bassy, and not worry about top end, and get a crossover. All a bit complicated for your purposes I think. This and a Barefaced Dubster taking the lows would be great, spensive though. Basically, if you guitar cab it up, it will have an awesome drivey midrange and highs, and you use something suited for awesome lows for the lows, like a PA sub. The cab won't ever do mega lows, but nor will an Ampeg 8x10 fridge, and never stopped anyone loving them.

[quote name='umph' post='1011449' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:32 PM']to be fair it'll still do great grindy punchy tones, just not upper bass etc.

what tuning do you play in?[/quote]

just half a step down mate. e flat.

So if i use this cab on it's own, it's not going to be as effective as my ampeg 410hlf?

I think it may be beyond my means at the minute, and a little bit complicated for what im about at present. I'll have another think, and then let you lads in on the lad who's selling it, so you can all then tell me how what i missed out on :)

• 6 months later...

[quote name='therose789' post='1233054' date='May 16 2011, 02:09 PM']did you ever get this cab?[/quote]

Nah Man, decided to not bother, would have been a gamble anyway.

You're from teesside eh? What band you in?

Edited by XPAULUSX

[quote name='therose789' post='1233156' date='May 16 2011, 03:30 PM']raptastic :)[/quote]
:) well in that case you're too busy with your Matthew Kelly impressions in Uncle Alberts to worry about your lovely Orange ad200, in which case is love to take it off your hands :lol:

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='1233163' date='May 16 2011, 03:37 PM']:) well in that case you're too busy with your Matthew Kelly impressions in Uncle Alberts to worry about your lovely Orange ad200, in which case is love to take it off your hands :)[/quote]

ha it gets plenty of use mate!

do a lot of session playing