Why become a member? ×

Thinking about going back to Hartke

fretmeister

I'm currently using a Mark Bass F1 with a TecAmp S210. It's a great rig.

But I do keep thinking about my old Hartke gear. All the time. I had a HA3500 and a Pro2200 2x12 cab (actually I had 2 of them, but had to use another amp as they are 4ohms as the 3500 won't do a 2ohm load).

A Hydrive 410 seems a bit of a no-brainer choice - but what about the heads? a 5500? Or a LH500 / 1000?

I haven't tried the new heads yet and I'm suspicious about an amp without an input gain control!! Maybe I'm a luddite!

Or - for the moment sell the TecAmp and get the Hydrive 410, but loeave the amp until the Hartke Kilo comes out???

Has anyone tried all the above and come to any conclusions? I think Dood has / had a Hartke and F1 rig at some point - so any opinions welcome!

I've loved every Hartke rig / combo I've ever used, mainly HA3500s with 4.5XL cabs. Sounded amazing with my Warwick Infinity SN4 (elixir strings)
Oddly enough, one of the rigs was laid on by a venue in London.
I've never owned one, but if I were buying a rig from scratch, I definitely consider the cabs at least...

I'll be interested if you decide to let the F1 go - give me first dibs on a price! - I'll be back later to give you a better reply re: Hartke gear - but a quicky, I have the LH1000 and no, you won't need a gain control as the heads are clean and juicey all the way up to 'OMG THATS TOO LOUD' :)

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1006506' date='Oct 30 2010, 04:55 PM']I'm currently using a Mark Bass F1 with a TecAmp S210. It's a great rig.

But I do keep thinking about my old Hartke gear. All the time. I had a HA3500 and a Pro2200 2x12 cab (actually I had 2 of them, but had to use another amp as they are 4ohms as the 3500 won't do a 2ohm load).

A Hydrive 410 seems a bit of a no-brainer choice - but what about the heads? a 5500? Or a LH500 / 1000?

I haven't tried the new heads yet and I'm suspicious about an amp without an input gain control!! Maybe I'm a luddite!

Or - for the moment sell the TecAmp and get the Hydrive 410, but loeave the amp until the Hartke Kilo comes out???

Has anyone tried all the above and come to any conclusions? I think Dood has / had a Hartke and F1 rig at some point - so any opinions welcome![/quote]

Hey buddy!

Here I am! :)

Yeah, I reckon the Hydrives are the easy bit - they do sound different to the 4.5XLs and BassCat, Stag and I have had a proper A/B session with them! - Gotta say though, there is defintely added 'warmth' in with that lovely Hartke character. I think you'll like them. I do miss the porting of the 4.5XL - but that said - they were only 400W RMS and the HyDrives are 1000W - so it's probably just in my head!

I'm defintely quite excited about the Kilo head as the adverts say it will do bridged, dual mono OR STEREO! :) which is exactly what I want right now! - I think the EQ on the LH heads is brilliantly simple and clever - it just works! That's all it needs - though if you are Graphic heavy, you may miss the ablity to do the harsher EQ settings. I love the LH1000 - it is monsterously loud and never runs out of breath.

Don't be suspicious of the lack of gain control! To be honest when you look at the simplicity of the preamp design - a better way to describe the topology is actually a lack of master volume and the preamp schematic is more like the first critical stage of other preamps where the gain control would feed another section - what I mean to say is - that it's kinda like the volume on the amp is a gain control and that the would be 'master' is at 100% all the time. The result is a very clean and defined amp. No it doesn't do filth - but I have plenty of outboard shennanigans that do instead, so I'm happy with that.

Hope this helps!

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1008376' date='Nov 1 2010, 12:01 PM']Northampton ish (on the A5 near Towcester)

I'm working on the missus - selling an expensive cab to get a cheaper one is always ok with her, but a 4x10 takes up plenty more room than the tiny Tecamp.... and my rig lives in the lounge![/quote]

Hmmm, shame I have no plans to head over that way in the near future, else I would have been happy to have brought my whole rig over for you to play with! Lemme know if the F1 is due to leave the flock.