Why become a member? ×

Owwwwww!!!!!

Dave Vader

Weird weekend, gigs both friday and saturday night, decided to take my recently completed Jazz bass project with me (probably not it's fault though). We've had it a bit quiet the last month or so, only one or two gigs, and I've not been practising a lot, but in 20 years of gigging my fingers have never hurt so damn much, can't touch anything, both hands!
No idea why, same old fender flatwounds (new set on the J, might have something to do with it) same old hands, same old 80s tunes.
Turns out though, the J is not as forgiving as my old P, there's nowhere I can get all 4 of my fingers in without one of them clipping a pole piece and stinging even worse. Had to switch back to the P for the 2nd set last night.
Anyone else had a sudden loss of of hard fingertips? Just out of interest?

mine went away when I used special shampoo on my sons hair when he had something called skullcap. Its basically a buildup of dryskin on a babies head.

So the special shampoo gets rid of this,,,,,,,,,AND CALLUSES.

So imagine my suprise the next morning when my fingers were soft!!!!! gigged that night and ended up with a few blood blisters.

The show must go on hahahaha

[quote name='chris_b' post='999777' date='Oct 25 2010, 10:43 AM']I don't have hard finger tips and last week I practised for several hours a day and did 4 gigs.

Turn the amp up and don't hit the strings so hard.[/quote]

Did that Thursday night at an open mic in town. Works fine until we play something a bit exciting, then I come over all Steve Harris and deafen the world. :)

Some of the lads on here have started using Methylated Spirits to clean their strings. If you're one of them, immerse your fingertips in (clean) meths for 5-10 minutes every day. I just balance mine in a flattish old saucer on the chair arm while I'm watching the idiot box. I tried it after an old Double-Bass player told me about it, and it actually works.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='999806' date='Oct 25 2010, 11:06 AM']Some of the lads on here have started using Methylated Spirits to clean their strings. If you're one of them, immerse your fingertips in (clean) meths for 5-10 minutes every day. I just balance mine in a flattish old saucer on the chair arm while I'm watching the idiot box. I tried it after an old Double-Bass player told me about it, and it actually works.[/quote]

I clean my strings with WD-40, will that work as well? :lol:

No seriously, might give this a go, no smoking at the same time right? :)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='999806' date='Oct 25 2010, 11:06 AM']....Some of the lads on here have started using Methylated Spirits to clean their strings. If you're one of them, immerse your fingertips in (clean) meths for 5-10 minutes every day. I just balance mine in a flattish old saucer on the chair arm while I'm watching the idiot box. I tried it after an old Double-Bass player told me about it, and it actually works....[/quote]
And you've some refreshment for after!

[quote name='the_skezz' post='1000567' date='Oct 25 2010, 09:16 PM']So...based on the information in this thread, is it reasonable for me to ask my Mother to let me off doing the washing up in future because it makes me worse at bass playing? :)[/quote]

I tried that when I was about 16 or 17, no joy.

Me: Y'know Mum, Jaco Pastorius never used to do the washing up because it softens the skin on you fingers.

Both parents in Unison: Well you're not Jaco Pastorius are you?

The. End.

[quote name='beardybass' post='1000881' date='Oct 26 2010, 10:14 AM']I tried that when I was about 16 or 17, no joy.

Me: Y'know Mum, Jaco Pastorius never used to do the washing up because it softens the skin on you fingers.

Both parents in Unison: Well you're not Jaco Pastorius are you?

The. End.[/quote]

Gosh darn it :)

What if I say it'll be detrimental to my self-esteem if I can't play bass properly? Reckon I'm in with a chance then? :lol:

[quote name='the_skezz' post='1000567' date='Oct 25 2010, 10:16 PM']So...based on the information in this thread, is it reasonable for me to ask my Mother to let me off doing the washing up in future because it makes me worse at bass playing? :)[/quote]
Doesn't work on my wife, can't see it working on your mum...