Why become a member? ×

looking for an effect to aid an acoustic gig?

0175westwood29

in a few months my bands gonna be doing an unplugged set at a local bar, basically the only major dif is the guitarist going to an acoustic, but in some parts i need a clean boost as in some songs in taking on the solos! so need to have a bit of a boost in volume, also maybe add a little grit so its not just my main bass sound but louder.

had a look on the net but there's lots of boost pedals, anyone suggest anything for me to try?

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

Most clean boosts stay relatively clean even at higher outputs. Some do colour the sound but overdrive is rare (unless pushing an amp into distortion). The one that springs to mind is the Way Huge Angry Troll that definitely goes into overdrive at higher settings. However, you may prefer to get a separate clean boost and overdrive pedal if that's what you're really after, particularly in a live situation so you don't have to adjust settings. If you're only after one sound from the pedal, then why not look at a low-gain overdrive instead of a clean boost? Or maybe the much-loved VT Bass?

There's a good few options for you to explore here depending on what you're doing.
We have a few songs where the guitar takes a solo & if the mandolin line doesn't fill the gap, I get the job.
I sometimes have my murf set for a bit of drive & pop it on during the solo (whether it be to cover for the solo or to take the solo). I am looking to getting an octaver & fancy getting a MarkBass Super Synth when funds allow (could be some time tho).

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1001642' date='Oct 26 2010, 08:08 PM']thanks guys really helpfull!

how would a sansamp work? or can they only do dirt? i only want the slightest hint of dirt probs more of a gain boost is what im looking for if that makes sense?

andy[/quote]

the [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=micro_red_dragon"]red dragon[/url] could be right up your street and its tiny