Why become a member? ×

Kent Armstrong Hot P vs Hot Vintage P vs Seymour Duncan SPB-3

Paul S

As per title. As part of my Scavenger bass makeover (as well as an East Retro P) I want to change the pups to something that gives more oomph - better tone, more growl maybe? The stock pups I think let it down a bit.

My initial thoughts were for Seymour Duncan SPB-3s - from reading the stuff on here it seems they are almost the 'industry standard replacement' for a P-bass type configuration. But when I mentioned it to my tech guy he said he usually fits Kent Armstrong Hot P ceramic pups - he reckons for half the cost and pretty much exactly the same improvement. Then there are the Hot Vintage P.

Can anyone explain what the differences would be? The money is a consideration but not a major one. I play dad rock and heavy rock with flat wound strings and am not too keen on too much brightness, if that is an issue.

Thanks all.

i've not tried the KA precision pickups myself, but i have fitted them in a couple of friend's guitars, and they're very good.

the SD's will certainly give you more uuumph, and also a lot more clarity - top end if you like, so if you prefer a thumpier sound you'll be using your tone control a lot.

i'd add wizard pickups to your list...i've just fitted one of their 'area 51' pickups to my fender cowpoke and couldn't be happier.

The Hot Vintage are very strong at the bottom end - quite easy to get into feedback on loud stages - particularly hollow stages, but a bit of low cut usually keeps things under control.

Nice attack to the notes, with a big 'thump'
They fit right in for blues/rock in particular.

I like them a lot - they've survived my plans of converting completely to Di Marzios.

No 1 Precision has a Wizard Thumper. Nice natural Precision sound. Just a bit more of it. I like this one a lot. I like a bit of treble and it can push it out without getting out of control.
No 2 Precision has a Dimarzio Model P. These vary a bit depending on age. I had an old 70s one that went to Clarky that had a nice full, 'woody' sound. The later model one I've got in this is very hot. Lots of grind, mids and lows. Really pushes an amp.
In the past I've also had an SD vintage which was good too. had a bit more 'click' than the Fender original. A much more old school sound.

Hey there, I installed a SPB-3 as a replacement for a SX pickup, I honestly didnt think it was much of an improvement when i did it, however a year later it broke due to moisture in the windings - when i took it out and went back to the SX pickup for a gig i couldnt believe how much i was missing in every way from the mix!! Ive found this with other pick-ups ive replaced aswell, its when you go back to what you had you realise what the new pickup does!!

At the minute i have a EMG select P bass pickup that i got for £15 as a stop-gap till xmas, which you could do alot worse than, but think i will be joining you in a Kent Hot vintage P soon...

Andy