Why become a member? ×

Upgrading the wiring and pots in a Squier CV P.

dave_bass5

First off, i haven't got the bass yet. Its ordered and on its way though.

I do plan on putting a Wizard thumper in as soon as i can but as i haven't even heard the bass yet maybe ill not need to.

Anyway, one thing most people seem to do is change the pots and wiring. This is one area i haven't ventured in to before. My soldering skills are fine, and i can follow the SD wiring diagram so im pretty confident i can do it.
I think its the cap values im not too clear on. Should i get like for like or change it for one that will work better?

So, knowing that most people use CTS pots ive found this kit on line and it looks like it will do the job. Im not really after recreating a certain vintage tone, i just want something a bit more sturdy and reliable, with better/smoother control over the volume and tone. I find my CV Jazz to be almost all or nothing so im basing my assumption on this.

Anyone care to have a look at this link and tell me if it will do the job, or if there is something better i should look at. And if this kit is ok will i need to get some new knobs?

Cheers.

[url="http://www.guitarpartsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Precision-Bass-Wiring-Kit.html"]P bass wiring.[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

Personally I don't see the point in "upgrading" the wiring loom unless you specifically have a problem with what's there already - faulty knobs, bad solder joints etc. There is a lot of snake oil involved in the subject. Change the cap by all means to get a different tone but fitting CTS pots in place perfectly functioning original ones is just done for bragging rights... at best the fact they are fitted may be used to influence the spec-heads upon resale, there's certainly no audible benefit.

That diagram is fine.

Edited by Ou7shined

To be honest i agree with you. Thats why ive never done anything like this before.

I do find the volume and tone knobs on my CV Jazz are more like on/off switches, especially compared to my old Lakland that had a nice range of control over both.
Thats really the only reason im thinking of changing things. Im not on a hunt to get a perfect 60s' tone or authentic wiring or anything like that, just something that might work a bit better.
Im happy to admit i might even be on the wrong track and it might just be a pup thing. I dont really want to experiment with caps, and if the one i linked to is the same as in a MIA P thats good enough for me.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='993315' date='Oct 19 2010, 11:21 AM']To be honest i agree with you. Thats why ive never done anything like this before.

[b]I do find the volume and tone knobs on my CV Jazz are more like on/off switches[/b], especially compared to my old Lakland that had a nice range of control over both.....[/quote]
That's a fair enough reason to put new in pots. It wouldn't warrant swapping out the entire loom though.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='993338' date='Oct 19 2010, 11:38 AM']That's a fair enough reason to put new in pots. It wouldn't warrant swapping out the entire loom though.[/quote]

The main reason i thought about the kit was because its all the right parts in one place. Im not really bothered about the wires to be honest.

John, im not really sure what a Sprague cap is im afraid. Its all new to me :-(although i will investigate all this a bit more one i get the bass and know what im going to do)

Im also probably going to put a Fender original or 62RI pup in if i dont get on with the stock pup. Again, im going by the CV Jazz and that seemed to lack punch compared to my other Jazzes, and i do like the tone of the MIA P.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='993369' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:03 PM']John, im not really sure what a Sprague cap is im afraid. Its all new to me :-(although i will investigate all this a bit more one i get the bass and know what im going to do)[/quote]
A Sprague Orange Drop cap, to give it its full title. Most people seem to be using the 0.047mf version

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Bobby K' post='993419' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:38 PM']A Sprague Orange Drop cap, to give it its full title. Most people seem to be using the 0.047mf version[/quote]

Thanks. So is this just a brand of cap or is it different from say another .047mf cap?
I want to keep it all pretty standard.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='993427' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:46 PM']Thanks. So is this just a brand of cap or is it different from say another .047mf cap?
I want to keep it all pretty standard.[/quote]

Sprague is the brand (think the full title is Vishay Sprague or something like that)

The 0.047 cap is pretty standard and people definitely seem to be favouring the Sprague Orange Drop versions. In my own experience with the Orange drop, the range of control, from 0-10 on the tone pot, seems a lot wider.

Edited by Bobby K

Thanks again Bobby.
Ive read that name a few times but never really looked in to it as it wasn't something i was interested back then.
I assume there isnt really much difference wit hone of these and the one thats already in the bass, other than the look.

Sorry of all the basic questions. I just want this to be a one time job so want to get it right first time, although as i expect it to be my back up bass for a while i am open to messing with it.
In fact i plan on putting my CV Jazz neck on it as well.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='993437' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:55 PM']Thanks again Bobby.
Ive read that name a few times but never really looked in to it as it wasn't something i was interested back then.
I assume there isnt really much difference wit hone of these and the one thats already in the bass, other than the look.

Sorry of all the basic questions. I just want this to be a one time job so want to get it right first time, although as i expect it to be my back up bass for a while i am open to messing with it.
In fact i plan on putting my CV Jazz neck on it as well.[/quote]

I'm learning all the time myself Dave, I'm deffo not an expert, but I definitely saw a marked difference, for the better, with the orange drop. I'm sure others will back me up on this too. Instead of on-off tone pot, you tend to get a smoother transition, from wooly at 0 to clear defined tone at 10 (on the tone pot)

[quote name='Bobby K' post='993444' date='Oct 19 2010, 01:00 PM']I'm learning all the time myself Dave, I'm deffo not an expert, but I definitely saw a marked difference, for the better, with the orange drop. I'm sure others will back me up on this too. Instead of on-off tone pot, you tend to get a smoother transition, from wooly at 0 to clear defined tone at 10 (on the tone pot)[/quote]

Cheers. Ive only just noticed you also have the same bass so i guess that makes you the expert.

Do you think its worth just changing that to start with rather than the pots?

What im confused about (still) is that the kit i posted above says as used on modern Fenders, yet the cap is 0.1mf disc capacitor. I like the tone the MIA's get so how different will a .047 sound?

Edited by dave_bass5

I do used Spragues myself and will continue to (considering I've still got a few lying about) but I doubt if there really is a substantial difference between them and what you can get down your local Maplin. There is a lot of love for the old oil and paper ones but then again who know if the oil used in them is of the snake variety. :) They are extremely cheap to buy (although Spragues because of their popularity do go for top dollar) so they are perfect to experiment with. You could even bang a few together on a switch and create your own varitone.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='993447' date='Oct 19 2010, 01:03 PM']Cheers. Ive only just noticed you also have the same bass so i guess that makes you the expert.

Do you think its worth just changing that to start with rather than the pots?[/quote]

Do you mean the CV P bass?

Apart from putting Seymour Duncan SPB-1's in, all I've done is change the capacitor to a 0.047 Orange drop. There's definitely a difference from the old cap (which was 0.068mf) - the tone variation used to be pretty unremarkable, but now there seems a definite gradual difference as you turn the pot. I did think about putting CTS's in but I think it would not make much difference, as Ou7shined said earlier.

The bass just sounds a bit more exciting than it did stock now

[quote name='Bobby K' post='993454' date='Oct 19 2010, 01:10 PM']Do you mean the CV P bass?

Apart from putting Seymour Duncan SPB-1's in, all I've done is change the capacitor to a 0.047 Orange drop. There's definitely a difference from the old cap (which was 0.068mf) - the tone variation used to be pretty unremarkable, but now there seems a definite gradual difference as you turn the pot. I did think about putting CTS's in but I think it would not make much difference, as Ou7shined said earlier.

The bass just sounds a bit more exciting than it did stock now[/quote]

Cheers.

Yes, the CV P is the one im getting.

Since i started this (yet another wiring) thread ive done some research and i guess ill give the cap change ago, and also put a linear CTS pot in for a more gradual volume change.

Ill do a couple of gigs first with it as stock, as long as it all works ok, then change the above and probably the pup as well.

Thanks all for the help.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='993231' date='Oct 19 2010, 10:06 AM']First off, i haven't got the bass yet. Its ordered and on its way though.

I do plan on putting a Wizard thumper in as soon as i can but as i haven't even heard the bass yet maybe ill not need to.

Anyway, one thing most people seem to do is change the pots and wiring. This is one area i haven't ventured in to before. My soldering skills are fine, and i can follow the SD wiring diagram so im pretty confident i can do it.
I think its the cap values im not too clear on. Should i get like for like or change it for one that will work better?

So, knowing that most people use CTS pots ive found this kit on line and it looks like it will do the job. Im not really after recreating a certain vintage tone, i just want something a bit more sturdy and reliable, with better/smoother control over the volume and tone. I find my CV Jazz to be almost all or nothing so im basing my assumption on this.

Anyone care to have a look at this link and tell me if it will do the job, or if there is something better i should look at. And if this kit is ok will i need to get some new knobs?

Cheers.

[url="http://www.guitarpartsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Precision-Bass-Wiring-Kit.html"]P bass wiring.[/url][/quote]

I've bought p bass and j bass wiring kits from this place: [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Storehouse-Studio/Wiring-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=7668211&_sid=23350206&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Storehouse-Studio...d=p4634.c0.m322[/url]

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='994459' date='Oct 20 2010, 09:21 AM']I've bought p bass and j bass wiring kits from this place: [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Storehouse-Studio/Wiring-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=7668211&_sid=23350206&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Storehouse-Studio...d=p4634.c0.m322[/url][/quote]

Me too, excellent service, seller sends very quickly

The only time I swapped pots for supposedly better CTS ones, the CTS ones were a lot cracklier, so I swapped back again. Definitely snake oil IMHO.

Considering resale value, I would only part with cash for an "upgraded" bass if the work was done by a professional, otherwise the bass has been tampered with and is worth a lot less (IMHO).

[quote name='Alfie' post='994522' date='Oct 20 2010, 10:27 AM']The only time I swapped pots for supposedly better CTS ones, the CTS ones were a lot cracklier, so I swapped back again. Definitely snake oil IMHO.

Considering resale value, I would only part with cash for an "upgraded" bass if the work was done by a professional, otherwise the bass has been tampered with and is worth a lot less (IMHO).[/quote]

Well as i said, i want a Linear pot for the volume so i will change that for a reason. Ive never had to change pots before, as ive not had any problems with them so ill leave the tone pot as it is.

The good thing about selling on here is its easy to follow a basses history so i dont think many people worry too much who has done minor work, as long as it all works as it should/as advertised i think most people are happy.
And as we know, not all "professionals" are professionals.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='995019' date='Oct 20 2010, 04:24 PM']My CV P just arrived and i think im going to keep it as stock for a while. Pots seem good and they feel better than the ones on my CV Jazz for some reason.
I will try a new cap, and definitely a new pup but i dont think ill be in any rush to do either.[/quote]

I had mine for a few months before doing any mods at all. It's a great bass for the money innit? :)

[quote name='Bobby K' post='995162' date='Oct 20 2010, 06:11 PM']I had mine for a few months before doing any mods at all. It's a great bass for the money innit? :)[/quote]

Damn right. so far i cant fault it, tone is just right (at home on headphones).

I like the fact that the neck has vintage frets, thats goin got help me a lot in getting used to the wider string spacing.