Why become a member? ×

Pete Back 8 string Jazz Bass

hillbilly deluxe

This bass belongs to the singer in our band,it was allegedly built for the band Saxon.It is through-neck,Jazz width with Flying V headstock with Schaller machine heads.The body is slab construction.Im assuming that the bridge pickup has been replaced at some point as has the nut.All the electrics work apart from one mini toggle switch.Im assuming that the mini toggles are coil taps ? The bridge is adjustable for each string.IMO the neck has been shaved down,and the neck has twisted (although its still perfectly playable)because of this.The weight,almost 13lb.
Im guessing the early 80's as a date.
Any info on this,or a pic of it in use with Saxon,if it was indeed used by them would be great.

The guitar pickup actually sounds ok.The nut can be replaced.It intonates too.Im sure that the bridge is a replacement.The bass will never be for sale,(dont ask me why,i dont know) wether it belonged to Saxon or not.
I think that the whole concept of it is wrong,but it has a massive array of tones and plays well strung up as a 4,but god knows what it would be like as an 8 with that narrow spacing.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='990037' date='Oct 16 2010, 11:21 AM']The guitar pickup actually sounds ok.The nut can be replaced.It intonates too.Im sure that the bridge is a replacement.The bass will never be for sale,(dont ask me why,i dont know) wether it belonged to Saxon or not.
I think that the whole concept of it is wrong,but it has a massive array of tones and plays well strung up as a 4,but god knows what it would be like as an 8 with that narrow spacing.[/quote]

I remember seeing this bass player a band in Edinburgh when I was a teenager who had an old Rick 4001 and he'd put a Strat pup in where the foam mute used to be. He said, as I recall, that it "brought out the highs"! What utter bullshit! I think he just had it in there as a conversation piece!!

[quote name='Stacker' post='991408' date='Oct 17 2010, 06:28 PM']I remember seeing this bass player a band in Edinburgh when I was a teenager who had an old Rick 4001 and he'd put a Strat pup in where the foam mute used to be. He said, as I recall, that it "brought out the highs"! What utter bullshit! I think he just had it in there as a conversation piece!![/quote]

sometimes you just have to nod politely and let them be... :)

[quote name='Stacker' post='991408' date='Oct 17 2010, 06:28 PM']I remember seeing this bass player a band in Edinburgh when I was a teenager who had an old Rick 4001 and he'd put a Strat pup in where the foam mute used to be. He said, as I recall, that it "brought out the highs"! What utter bullshit! I think he just had it in there as a conversation piece!![/quote]

Cliff Burton did this to his Rickenbacker and many Metallica fans have probably done it too.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='992058' date='Oct 18 2010, 11:20 AM']One of the fender short scales had a Strat pickup in it,did it not ?[/quote]

It was the Musicmaster. IIRC it was Bassist mag that did a feature on hotrodding them with a SD Hotrails bladed Strat pickup

• 1 month later...