Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Amp for mainly recording

dumelow

Hey,

I'm after a real versatile amp which will be mainly used for home studio recording but also has enough power behind it to be used as a moniter when gigged with a PA system.

Should I go for an amp that already has many amp simulater options and a large tonal range or should I go for a real flat sounding amp and buy a basspod or something like that.

What are your thoughts and what do you guys use if in this sort of situation?

Ive been running an old DBS 410 for years and i loved it till it broke, think i might look into the MB series, the 2x10 combo does look nice and a lot lighter than the DBS

[quote name='xgsjx' post='989456' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:16 PM']I use my MB combo for everything. DI out to record, take to rehearsals & use it live & can DI to PA & use as a monitor.[/quote]

Ive started looking at the Hartke Hydrive range, ive found loads of info on these badboys and they look sweet but im worried that it will only give me a real modern, bright tone. Am i right in thinking this or can it do a real nice motown or reggae sound too? i think its victor wooten thats putting me off

For recording, I now only use a Phil Jones Bass (PJB) Bass Buddy preamp direct into the desk. I get such a lovely warm tone this way, and a couple of engineers have commented very favourably on the built-in PJB compressor!

[quote name='dumelow' post='990986' date='Oct 17 2010, 11:36 AM']Ive started looking at the Hartke Hydrive range, ive found loads of info on these badboys and they look sweet but im worried that it will only give me a real modern, bright tone. Am i right in thinking this or can it do a real nice motown or reggae sound too? i think its victor wooten thats putting me off[/quote]

hartke's great budget gear and the hydrive series looks fantastic! realy had my eye on the 4x10
i got put off when my local guitar shop said they had loads back with issues on reliability, although i feel i was lied to just so they could sell my the mesa they had on show

My guitar teacher got one of the hydrives and he swears by it, says its got every sound he could ever want, best bet is to try a few rigs out and see what you think's best, after all, it's no use having everyone else say your tones sweet if your not impressed?

may be worth looking at some of the sansamp DI boxes they have, they're great for any tone

Edited by cris the man

My Fender collecting friend (guitarist whom also thinks he can play bass & can to a degree) doesn't rate Hartke & told me to avoid them when I was looking at gear as he had some of their gear & found it unreliable. On here tho, it gets much love.

Haven't had much experience with recording, apart from last year. Took my GK head and EBS 4x10 into the studio - ended up using a SansAmp as well (bit before I decided to get one for myself - thanks Silddx!!). Put the 4x10 and head in a make-shift iso-room next to studio's live room and ran a thin cable under the door. Mic'ed up the cab (grill removed) with an AKG D112 on one of the cones - don't remember anything else in there. Mix was mostly DI with a bit of the D112 for colour.

HTH, Ian

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' post='992527' date='Oct 18 2010, 05:54 PM']Haven't had much experience with recording, apart from last year. Took my GK head and EBS 4x10 into the studio - ended up using a SansAmp as well (bit before I decided to get one for myself - thanks Silddx!!). Put the 4x10 and head in a make-shift iso-room next to studio's live room and ran a thin cable under the door. Mic'ed up the cab (grill removed) with an AKG D112 on one of the cones - don't remember anything else in there. Mix was mostly DI with a bit of the D112 for colour.

HTH, Ian[/quote]

huh interesting, ive always done one or the other, DI or mic up with a D112 that is. never thought to blend the two i might have to try it