Why become a member? ×

Les Paul Basses

Annoying Twit

Can anyone please explain to me what the particular notable points of Les Paul basses are? I've tried listening to some youtube videos, and even one with Bartolini active pickups sounded, to me, quite a generic bass. Maybe the tone was rolled off too much. I'm familiar with certain basses which have distinctive sounds, PB, JB, short scale double humbucker basses, Warwick, etc. But, I have listened to some Les Paul basses, and nothing sort of stands out as characteristic of them to me. Might just be my ears, but can someone describe what makes Les Paul bass character?

I got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass, loved the looks, wasn't that fussed about the sound - quite a thick passive humbucker sound which didn't inspire me. So I gutted it and put in 2 EMG-HB pickups and an EMG-BQC preamp which gave me 2 active split P pickups and a 3 band EQ with mid sweep. So now it's a pretty vehicle but sounds like any EMG equipped bass.

[url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/"]Gibson Basses[/url]

This website, Fly Guitars, is pretty good for all the original Gibson basses. There were so many Les Paul variants (short scale actives, passives and a low/high impedance long scale semi), you can't pin a 'character' on them as a whole but it might give you a better idea as to what they're all about.

I had a Les Paul Standard Bass for a while and the sound was very rich, due to the mahogany body, but it wasn`t mushy at all. If I had to liken it to anything, it would be to a Thunderbird, but much easier to both carry around and play.

And it was the only bass I`ve ever had that got people from the audience asking "whats that bass" as they seemed to think it just looked "wrong". So a bass that gets the bass player noticed - gotta be a one-up.

I have a 1991 Les Paul Deluxe bass with the Bartolini pickups, and preamp.

I find it very comfy to play, as it has the flat top body shape, and Schaller bridge. I really like the neck profile too. Not as skinny as a Thunderbird.

Sound wise, it has a very rich sound, with loads of low end on offer, and a bit of sizzle on the top can be found thanks to the Barts. Seems to sit very well in a Rock band situation, and is also very good at supplying subtle warm tones under acoustic guitar tracks, when played gently up near the neck. Then dig in with a pick for some serious rock.

Only slight niggle is sometimes the low-mids can get a bit over powering, and boomy.

Definately a keeper, and makes a very good alternative to the venerable old P bass :)

what Retroman said :)

i've got a '95 standard with a lovely birds eye maple top,Bart's & Bart eq.
it gives a lovely deep warm & oh so punchy tone but is also more versatile than i expexted too,with the bridge pickup solo'd it gives a suprisingly good finger funk tone - just don't try to slap it.
i've been a life long,30 years of playing, Fender fan but was never really happy with the sound i was getting from them as i've always wanted a bass that gives me a "studio" sound but in a live situation,i now have it & love it to bits.

Edited by artisan