Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Spector NS5 XL water-cured redwood burl

lozbass

The bass is now sold - thanks to all for the enquiries and very kind and helpful comments

EDIT: price dropped to £1625 cash on collection or £1650 inc. UK shipping. After consulting with a couple of knowledgeable Spector people, and given market conditions, I've reduced the price a little (the bass really is a something of a bargain at £1625 and this really is the minimum amount I can accept).

For sale (no trades thanks - other than high-end Alembics) - a remarkably beautiful Spector NS5 XL. I picked this up in a trade a few months ago and haven't really used it: though it sits very comfortably into the body and feels like a standard long-scale, I'm more accustomed to short-scales.

The bass was built in NY and bears the date 10th April 2008 (with Stuart Spector's signature). It is one of special run of water-cured burl redwood basses (apparently, sufficient 100 year old timber was recovered from a stream to produce 24 instruments). The bass in my possession is numbered 15 and I have the signed letter of authenticity from Stuart. It is almost impossible to photograph the figuring and grain in the redwood - it is truly gorgeous (a few previous owners on here can attest I'm sure). The body wings are very lovely walnut, neck is maple three-piece and the fingerboard is Pau Ferro (I think) with abalone crowns. The bass has a very high gloss poly finish. It represents the highest end of Spector's work.

The bass has a pro set-up and plays beautifully - the action is super low (and I mean that - it's unbelievably low with no buzz). Pickups are EMGs and are the hottest I've ever heard. The bass has the classic Spector tone in spades - it really is lovely. The circuit was upgraded to an East 3 band (from the standard Spector 2) and as far as I know, the circuit was custom built for this bass. Knobs are gold and black and look very classy against the burl redwood.

The bass could probably pass for new - the only evidence that it is not entirely unused is: (1) some minor tarnishing to the plating on the top edge of the bridge, (2) a few almost invisible fingernail scuffs under the G at the neck/body join on the front - probably caused by slapping (these would polish/buff out in minutes - they're so incredibly minor I couldn't be bothered); and, (3) some very minor wear to the lacquer around the third fret at the edge of the underside of the fingerboard (about 2mm x 3mm) - again, inconsequential and a £10 fix if you can be bothered (it took me a few weeks to even find it). I should emphasise that any wear is extremely minor and not at all evident unless you know where it is and go over the bass with an incredibly critical eye - I've included the details for full disclosure.

I didn't polish the bass before taking photographs - any apparent marks are simply dust, grease (or cat hair) - also, the tarnishing to the bridge looks considerably worse in the images than it is in reality.

The bass will be supplied with its original Spector case. This is in excellent structural condition and good cosmetic condition - it's been used but shows little evidence. Gold straplocks are also included.

Price is a firm £1650 (down from £1715) including shipping in the UK. Collection in central Manchester is great and I can reduce the price to £1625 (down from £1685). I will ship overseas following clearance of funds (bank transfer).

You'll see that this bass has been owned by two or three others on BC - I'm sure that they can advise on just what a beautiful instrument this is - tone, playability and looks are all superb. It's a shame to see the bass go but it's really of no use to me (other than as a rather lovely ornament).

Any questions, please just let me know. I'm available to talk by 'phone - just PM for details.

Now the photographs - my apologies - my talent for photography matches that for playing bass.

Edited by lozbass

Thanks to all for the very kind comments - the bass really looks spectacular in the flesh. My partner - who's seen a few half decent basses...and must be bored rigid by my enthusiasm - reckons that the Spector has the most beautiful top she's seen...genuinely even nicer than the chestnut burl Fodera MG5 (yikes!)

Anybody interested will notice that I've dropped the price - £1625 has to be a bit of a bargain

Thanks to Peter for confirmation with respect to the circuit. I couldn't agree more - this bass really should find a permanent home - it could undoubtedly be somebody's main recording and performing bass (alas not mine given the scale length and it's a 5). Thanks to Andy too - tenner's in the post

On the issue of a permanent home, it appears that during its short life this bass has been owned by the following Basschatters:
Greyparrot
Voxpop
Molan
Greeneking
Nobody's Prefect
Me

If you look around, it's also been coveted by many others

Some of the previous sales threads can be found at:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97570&hl=spector+ns5"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=spector+ns5[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85203&hl=spector+ns5"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=spector+ns5[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39917&hl=spector+ns5"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=spector+ns5[/url]

I'm sure that all who have owned and played the bass will concur that it really is a very special instrument indeed. It would be lovely to see the bass go to a good home where it will be cherished and used as intended

Mmm purty :) And I do love Spectors.

Mind you, I am suprised to see that it's passed through so many hands so swiftly if it's so good... Why is this peeps? Why does everyone keep moving it on? Just seems kinda odd! NB I'm not trying to cast aspersions here - I am just genuinely confused and interested in why!

[quote name='lozbass' post='989971' date='Oct 16 2010, 11:49 AM']On the issue of a permanent home, it appears that during its short life this bass has been owned by the following Basschatters:
Greyparrot
Voxpop
Molan
Greeneking
Nobody's Prefect
Me

I'm sure that all who have owned and played the bass will concur that it really is a very special instrument indeed. It would be lovely to see the bass go to a good home where it will be cherished and used as intended[/quote]

Ok I'll bite.

The only reason I don't own this bass is that it is not a 6-string bass. That, and the fact that this bass has a lot more lows and highs than any other bass I have so it will require, or, rather, required, different frequency response at the amp/cab than my upright and other bass does, and I don't want to add a new component to the signal chain so I can switch to a fiver since I'm a sixes-player now. I was (and am) a total sucker for the Spector sound, however, and I hope to commission an NS6-XL one of these years.

This bass had the lowest action of anything I've had. I'm sure Loz can affirm that going for the lowest poss action with this bass will need an adjustment for all but the most technique-savvy jazzers. Luckily the bass works brilliantly at medium-low, and medium actions, as well. Couldn't say anything for medium-high and up.

The price is a whopper of a bargain.

edited to add:
This is the only short-horned 35" bass I'd willingly pay money for. You can't talk of Ken Smith BT or Warwick balance and ergonomics on the same day.
Even later edit: I should probably add that my rig is a VERY hi-fi pre-amp and ACME cabs which sound radically different from anything else.

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='Netballman' post='989990' date='Oct 16 2010, 12:17 PM']Mmm purty :) And I do love Spectors.

Mind you, I am suprised to see that it's passed through so many hands so swiftly if it's so good... Why is this peeps? Why does everyone keep moving it on? Just seems kinda odd! NB I'm not trying to cast aspersions here - I am just genuinely confused and interested in why![/quote]

The East pre-amp is fairly powerful, and I think for most a conventional pre-amp would work better. I couldn't use my default eq settings with this bass, because the signal is 1) extremely hot 2) goes lower AND higher than anything else. Since I have a line mixer I use for doubling gigs, I'd have needed some sort of additional EQ to go between this and the upright. And I'm a sixes player (at least for the gigs where I'd use an upright in the first place!) so buying new equipment to get to switch between upright and a bass I wasn't bringing to the gig anyhow... Didn't make much sense.

Also, I think the bass looks better on my black leather sofa and black fleece. Here's the link to my photobucket album and a taster:
You'll note, though, that I shot the photos on a day without sufficient light. Oh well.

[url="http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/prkl0405/Spector/"]Photobucketful of Spector[/url]

The very same. I've been lucky to have a few real gems in my hands, and this was one of them. You know, basses that speak. Sadly, I've sold nearly all of them.

edit: details! The devil's in them!

I've had:
3 F-Basses
7 (yes, seven) Skjolds
2 Wals
4 US Spectors
4 US Ken Smiths
1 Kenneth Lawrence
3 Dingwalls
1 Overwater
1 Lakland USA top of the line
2 Pedulla MVPs
3 Roscoes
1 Noguera Yves Carbonne 6
---
32 basses costing a fair bit, esp. new.

And this one's in the top 6, along with a Wal, a Skjold, and a Roscoe, and a Roscoe, and a Roscoe.

Thanks to Netballman for the questions (perfectly reasonable ones) and to Nobody's Prefect for some extremely thoughtful and nuanced responses: thanks too to NP for the access to some high quality images - far preferable to my quick snaps!

I think that there are many reasons that the bass hasn't yet 'stuck' - NP nails a lot of the most important issues and his comments based on gigging the bass have a very high level of qualification and credibility.

Just to pick up a few issues (rapidly - an extremely busy day!):

1. Hot output - the hottest I've seen! Not a problem if you're using the bass as a sole instrument at gigs and can set levels to suit for backline and at the desk. More problematic if you're using multiple basses. I got around it by using both channels on an Epifani UL502 - no real issues at all, just judicious use of gain and eq (and insistence on post eq at DI...the engineer should understand or will do after the soundcheck)

2. Action - the bass is certainly capable of (usable) super-low action. At set-up, I kept the action as it arrived - beautifully fast, even and smooth but possibly too low for some players (I'm sure it goes up without any problem at all)

3. Expense - this is a very high-end bass and has the associated price tag: I suspect that some previous owners have needed the cash more than the bass (no reflection on the quality of the bass)

4. Finish - the bass is an exquisite example of its type with a stunning, limited edition, super-figured top: the instrument remains unmarked and is probably just as beautiful as the day it was completed. I suspect that some previous owners didn't want to gig it and risk any scratches, dents, dings etc.

5. Ergonomics - these are phenomenal and the Spector lives up to everything for which the marque is justifiably famous - the NS5 is supremely comfortable with curved front and back, narrow spacing, compact design and intuitive layout: the effort that has been applied to design and ergonomics is highly evident. However, the bass has five strings and at least two previous owners have required one more or one less! For me the issues are scale length and number of strings - I only really play 4s and even then, mainly super skinny necked short scales (Alembics - tiny things that don't balance at all well and one wonders if ergonomics were any kind of concern down in Santa Rosa).

I hope this helps - just my take on why the bass hasn't yet had a longer stay. If you're looking for a high-end, beautifully finished, super-playable five with staggering output and tone, then this could be the one. Play at home and save the finish, or play out with some of the best tone available (and at a very reasonable price :) )

Thanks again to all for the inputs (and finally to Rayman - I couldn't really ask for greater endorsement!)

WAAAHHHH!!!

Thanks all, the comments have really clarified things for me, cemented by my mentor's comments (offline) who thought the reason for its homelessness was that the preamp might be a bit "harsh" and he'd swap it for a Bartolini... Which makes me think I might really like it :)

Unfortunately my bank manager wouldn't :lol:

Why can you never find a dead relative with an inheritance for you when you need one... !

[quote name='Netballman' post='991035' date='Oct 17 2010, 12:48 PM']Why can you never find a dead relative with an inheritance for you when you need one... ![/quote]

I probably shouldn't laugh but this made me guffaw. It also gave me an opportunity to arrange a gentle bump.

Following a couple of enquiries (and I really should have included this earlier), string spacing is around 9.5-10mm at the nut and 16.5mm at the bridge. All measurements centre to centre. The nut itself is 45mm. The bass weighs about 10.6lbs on digital bathroom scales (this is about as accurate as I can get).

I've played this and concur, it's very very special indeed. I love the East in my NS5 XL and just keep the volume pot backed off a bit, active input on the amp and it gives a great sound. This redwood with humbuckers has a very different, warmer character compared to my maple one with P/Js and it's lighter. A fabulous bass that I'd happily adopt and gig if I had the cash. Spectors have a real magic about them and as I've said before they remind me of Ducatis and Lamborghinis, inasmuch as many people don't "get" them until they've tried them and then when you do you have your moment of truth and it all becomes clear. The quality of work on US Spectors is as high as any other luthier out there. They are absolutely magnificent.

Thanks Sean!

Just a gentle bump and edit of original description. Following application of a miniscule amount of lemon oil, the tiny lacquer blemish on the underside of the neck has almost disappeared.

Edited by lozbass