Why become a member? ×

through body bridge

Ou7shined

From what im told and experience but mostly opinion - through body gives a meatier tone, and higher tension, whereas standard gives a more punchy tone and a standard tension.

Cant think of cons either way. Ive never had any problems with either.

So if you like drop tuning, maybe go with string through.

Just my 2 pennies/cents

cons for thru-stringing-
sometimes you'll find the string end silk will lie across the nut,
and it can be a pain changing strings, having to thread them through the body.

pros, I've found the string feels stiffer, and there's more metallic attack.

I do like a bit of drop tuning so maybe through body is the way ahead for me - (point taken about the silk tho SJA)

It is indeed hipshot-esque like >[url="http://i4.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/87/53/554e_1.JPG"]this[/url]< one but I'm not going balls out on my first full build attempt and it only cost me £20.

No pics yet.
I am documenting "Project-J" but I'm planning something a little special and... well... it might not work so I think I'll keep it a surprise for now... Oh I've said too much :)

I got one of those through sting only bridges, with lots of allen bolts to tighen it. You can feel the body resonate a lot more than the bent plate job, and it sustains for days, but I had trouble with string length, I wish I'd gone with onoe that had the option. The silk is a cut and burn job, unless you run out of thick bit, whish is the trouble I had.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='112354' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:35 PM']Building from scratch and the bridge I bought has both through body or standard options. I have no real preference which way to go. What are the pros/cons for either set-up?[/quote]

I like the flexibility of having both, like a Hipshot A style (which I used on my first custom build). I don't have enough evidence to say one is better than the other. If you need any help with your build, give us a shout.

[quote name='metalmaniac' post='112368' date='Jan 2 2008, 04:07 PM']From what im told and experience but mostly opinion - through body gives a meatier tone, and higher tension, whereas standard gives a more punchy tone and a standard tension.[/quote]

Surely for a string of a given weight and length the tension must be the same to get the same pitch?

Oops, typed the wrong way round according to this. The less string you have outside of the bridge and nut the higher the tension. Apparently.

This topic has been disputed quite alot. By luthiers, guitarists, and now Phycisists.
So I scoured the 1000's of papers I have access to, and it turns out that by increasing the length of a guitar string on the outside of the actual free oscillating area, when bending the string the stress forces are distributed along a longer length of the cables core (outside the actuall strumming bit) whcih make the string actually easier to bend.(In equal scale lengths)

I suppose this makes sense, seeing as the strings are free to move over the bridge and nut, when you pluck a string, some of the transverse stresses can be exerted out of the actual oscillating section of the string, and reduce the tension, whereas for a string whcih ends at the bridge and nut, the same amount of stresses must be displaced over only the oscillating section of string.

However im not quite convinced by this, so.. I think im gonna run a couple of tests with an oscilloscope to work out the tensions to find a conclusive result because this has been bugging me for a while.
No one has given proof, and all the arguments seem plausible. And when Ive asked luthiers before, ive been given counter acting answers.

Unless someone can post a solid conclusion here.

[quote name='metalmaniac' post='112834' date='Jan 3 2008, 12:55 PM']However im not quite convinced by this, so.. I think im gonna run a couple of tests with an oscilloscope to work out the tensions to find a conclusive result because this has been bugging me for a while.[/quote]

Good man, science is Good.

How about if you cut a string at the 12th fret and attach the broken ends to a strain gauge; will there be a lesser tonnage exerted when set up through-body? (I hypothesise not).

Interesting. I had considered putting on a lefty but thought that it would look too odd (mainly for onlookers, not me) so plumped for regularness... but I think I might be in the market for a new neck again as the one I ordered came with dings. :)

[b]Neepheid[/b], you got a router?
Nae the kind that gets yi on t'internet - the ither kind that maks holes in wid. :huh:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='113099' date='Jan 3 2008, 06:43 PM'][b]Neepheid[/b], you got a router?
Nae the kind that gets yi on t'internet - the ither kind that maks holes in wid. :)[/quote]

Aye, just got one for Xmas. Got a wee battery box job for it this weekend.