Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Re '75 Made in USA

muya

[quote name='P-T-P' post='112297' date='Jan 2 2008, 02:10 PM']I've owned a couple of these beasts in the past few years and can safely say that those suggesting SH prices around the £700-£800 mark aren't far off 'cause that's about what I paid for mine and what I was able to sell them for too.

That having been said, it does always bug me a bit when I see these kinda feeding frenzies about pricing, no matter how well intentioned those pointing out the issue may be. My thoughts are that unless you're intending to buy it at the price you think it's worth, best leave alone or at worst make your point in private to the seller.

At the end of the day market forces will prevail irrespective of the discussion, if someone is happy to pay the asking price then what's the problem for the rest of us and if no one is prepared to pay, the bass is still the seller's and again, what's the problem for the rest of us? All that having a public debate does is put the seller at the disadvantage of having their integrity publicly called into question.

No offence meant to anyone, it's just my opinion.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='P-T-P' post='112297' date='Jan 2 2008, 02:10 PM']That having been said, it does always bug me a bit when I see these kinda feeding frenzies about pricing, no matter how well intentioned those pointing out the issue may be. My thoughts are that unless you're intending to buy it at the price you think it's worth, best leave alone or at worst make your point in private to the seller.

At the end of the day market forces will prevail irrespective of the discussion, if someone is happy to pay the asking price then what's the problem for the rest of us and if no one is prepared to pay, the bass is still the seller's and again, what's the problem for the rest of us? All that having a public debate does is put the seller at the disadvantage of having their integrity publicly called into question.

No offence meant to anyone, it's just my opinion.[/quote]

I have a lot of sympathy with this. And the difference between pulling ebay auctions apart here is that you're not doing so within the actual auction...

Of course many BC'ers want to look after each other and ensure that no one is being really rampantly ripped off. But there is a difference in principle between actual rip-offs and differences of opinion over fair prices. No one is pretending that this bass is anything other than what it is, and potential buyers are more than able to look around on the bay, at the big retail sites, etc and judge whether or not they think the price is fair.

It also seems more than a bit pompous to come on a 'for sale' thread and have a go at someone for not saying 'Happy New Year'. Who are we - the Appropriate Greetings Police? :)

Jones

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='112336' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:12 PM']The difference between pulling ebay auctions apart here is that you're not doing so within the actual auction...[/quote]

Is this a good thing? Or is it better out in the open, so to speak?

I don't see a problem with pointing out that someone has priced their item too highly in the market as it currently stands. The seller may not realise.... and may wonder why it is not selling.

In this particular case the seller is in Italy and could be unaware of the current 'going-rate' in the UK.

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='112336' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:12 PM']I have a lot of sympathy with this. And the difference between pulling ebay auctions apart here is that you're not doing so within the actual auction...

Of course many BC'ers want to look after each other and ensure that no one is being really rampantly ripped off. But there is a difference in principle between actual rip-offs and differences of opinion over fair prices. No one is pretending that this bass is anything other than what it is, and potential buyers are more than able to look around on the bay, at the big retail sites, etc and judge whether or not they think the price is fair.

It also seems more than a bit pompous to come on a 'for sale' thread and have a go at someone for not saying 'Happy New Year'. Who are we - the Appropriate Greetings Police? :)

Jones[/quote]
What ever happened to good manners and courtesy in the way members deal with each other on this forum?

It's been discussed many times before about the rights and wrongs of people who join as members but never contribute anything on this forum other than 'For Sale' posts... And my personal view is that lack of basic courtesy + high prices + lack of support for the forum in general isn't the best way to be a member of Basschat. Otherwise, be more honest with members and be a recognised seller that sponsors the forum with some advertising, like other 'sellers' do.

Just my opinion of course.. :huh:

Why not let Muya sell in peace? If you're not interested in buying his bass, don't, simple as! He has the right to sell his bass at any price he wants - if you don't want to pay what he is asking, haggle with him via pm, but jumping into into his for sale thread and bringing it off tangent like this is downright rude, IMO.

Basschat is a discussion forum, yes, but this is the "for sale" section! It's for selling! At the end of the day, a bass is worth what you are willing to pay for it. If you're not willing to pay the asking price, move on for god's sake.

Edited by Wil

Has this not gone way OTT? It's developed from an observation regarding the price of similar basses to accusations of improper conduct. I agree that it's a discussion forum so let's discuss things, but let's not make more of this than it is, eh?

Edited by Rumble

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='112410' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:53 PM']What ever happened to good manners and courtesy in the way members deal with each other on this forum?

It's been discussed many times before about the rights and wrongs of people who join as members but never contribute anything on this forum other than 'For Sale' posts... And my personal view is that lack of basic courtesy + high prices + lack of support for the forum in general isn't the best way to be a member of Basschat. Otherwise, be more honest with members and be a recognised seller that sponsors the forum with some advertising, like other 'sellers' do.[/quote]

Dear silverfoxnik,
I joined this forum last June, after Basstalk closed, one month later than you joined and I'm a fully fledged member besides you as well so:
A ) we're both doing nothing to support this forum
B ) you're supporting this forum less than what you're trying to let me think
C ) something's VERY wrong in the post counter here

...I help you: this is the 2nd bass I'm trying to sell, one is gone with less posts written than you think...
.......if you still don't understand, the "bump" is not my favourite sport, here.

Forums aren't usually a place where you MUST write something, if I find something interesting I'm glad to write about, according to my free time, opinion, knowledge of my boringclosetodislexic written English which many times makes me give up.

Good manners and courtesy have been gifted by my parents, and they're surely, fortunately, definitely much way better than my English. Probably so aren't yours, as long as long as you judge mine reading this NY greetingless topic.

Best regards

About this bass price I just want to say I get next to the same price I'm selling here, and I swear it's far from 800-900£. The lowest I see was a bit more than 950£, I have no idea about its conditions. Like everyone's doing here and everywhere, I'm starting with a price, a reasonable price (I said 1100£ or around), it means it can be something less, it means I'm looking for a reasonable offer.

Thanks for the interest, any kind of interest...

Edited by muya

[quote name='muya' post='112469' date='Jan 2 2008, 06:16 PM']Dear silverfoxnik,
I joined this forum last June, after Basstalk closed, one month later than you joined and I'm a fully fledged member besides you as well so:
A ) we're both doing nothing to support this forum
B ) you're supporting this forum less than what you're trying to let me think
C ) something's VERY wrong in the post counter here

...I help you: this is the 2nd bass I'm trying to sell, one is gone with less posts written than you think...
.......if you still don't understand, the "bump" is not my favourite sport, here.

Forums aren't usually a place where you MUST write something, if I find something interesting I'm glad to write about, according to my free time, opinion, knowledge of my boringclosetodislexic written English which many times makes me give up.

Good manners and courtesy have been gifted by my parents, and they're surely, fortunately, definitely much way better than my English. Probably so aren't yours, as long as long as you judge mine reading this NY greetingless topic.

Best regards

About this bass price I just want to say I get next to the same price I'm selling here, and I swear it's far from 800-900£. The lowest I see was a bit more than 950£, I have no idea about its conditions. Like everyone's doing here and everywhere, I'm starting with a price, a reasonable price (I said 1100£ or around), it means it can be something less, it means I'm looking for a reasonable offer.

Thanks for the interest, any kind of interest...[/quote]

Hi Muya,

First off let me say two things:

1) the basses that i've seen you sell here on Basschat have been very nice quality basses and you obviously know your stuff when it comes to good quality instruments. So I'm sure that anyone dealing with you, at whatever price the deal is, is getting a really great bass.
2) my comments above weren't meant to be of a personal nature and if they have caused offence, then I apologise.

Having said that, I stand by my comments about the way I perceive that some 'members' - yourself included - choose only to engage in this forum when they want to sell something. The number of your posts since you joined is evidence of that fact. However, I agree that it is your right to do that and I'm sure that you will agree that equally, it is my right in an open discussion forum like Basschat, to be able to pass comment on that.

To be clear about my views (and that's all they are at the end of the day), I believe it is better when the forum is supported by the active involvement of it's members. In return for that support, the members get benefits from being a member.

And one of the benefits for members is that there are hundreds of bass players online everyday looking to buy, sell and trade their bass equipment to and from each other.. Which has the advantage of saving on advertising on Ebay or other similar websites or magazines. So, when I have bought and sold on here, I am constantly aware that it is a benefit of my membership that I am able to do so and I am grateful for that privilege and I respect the way the system works.

Personally, what 'membership' and 'support' for this forum means to me is taking an active part in the discussions, the debates, the sharing of information and knowledge and the general 'give and take' between members that makes being a bass player that much more fun, more interesting and in a lot of cases, a damm sight easier than it would be without the benefit of this Forum.

So, when I make comments like the ones I have on this subject, please bear in mind that it is because I am bloody grateful for being a member of Basschat and I believe that what it has to offer each of us needs to be valued and respected... Even the 'For Sale' forum!

Anyway, that's enough from me - I'll keep out of your posts from now on... I'm sure you're a really cool person who has a lot to offer Basschat on top of some very nice basses for sale, so I would just urge you to get a bit more involved, make a contribution, take the mickey out of our [i]'boringclosetodislexic written English'[/i] and enjoy the 'life' here a bit more! You'll enjoy it! :)

Happy New Year and good luck with the sale

Nik