Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tweeter Replacement

daveybass

Hi all,

just bought a DB112 and it's turned up and the tweeter is in pieces (the joys of DHL),I can't contact the seller but wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how much a replacement would be (providing there was no insurance in place) and where the best place to get one would be.

The other questions is really who uses them

Thanks

Dave

How has DHL managed to destroy a tweeter? I'd have thought that they'd have had to wreck half the cab to achieve that.

re. who uses them - I have a pair of DBs; one with tweeter one without and I'd not be distraught if I had a pair of cabs sans tweeter. I could be wrong but I'm sure that I read somewhere that the full range signal goes through the bass driver in the DB12 cabs so I don't 'think' that it will be filtering the top end; however, if it is then you may well lose a bit of top end if the tweeter is kapput... if you are into that kind of thing.

I also can't see how a courier can destroy a tweeter without the rest of the cab taking way too much abuse..!!
I'd be testing the rest of the componets as well..to make sure.

I'd contact Aguilar though for a replacement.

No way would I use a cab like that without a horn though.. so put me in the horn camp.
I run some GS's and they are the same chassis in a different port and tuned cab, IMO.

Edited by JTUK

Yeah I know...the horn section was split into about 4 pieces..it's held in place by two screws instead of the 4 but wasn't sure whether it would still operate fine..won't find out for a bit as my head is on it's way.

The cab itself is fine so not sure how this has happened

[quote name='daveybass' post='977631' date='Oct 4 2010, 08:46 PM']or could this be the reason why I haven't been able to contact the bc seller since it's be sent?[/quote]

Is the BCer an established member? I'm not about to do any detective work to find the cab or its seller but I'd have thought an established member would want to help you resolve the matter. Probably not worth naming and shaming right now as there may well be a genuine reason they haven't responded to your efforts to contact them but a mashed tweeter with no damage to the cab structure or grill sounds odd!

Me too, and yes an established member so it's a bit weird as everyone else I've dealt with has been great

Hopefully it'll get resolved one way or another, but the thought of probably paying another £60 for a replacement tweeter almost puts it level with buying one new...huff and puff!

To be honest with the lack of communication I didn't think it was going to turn up, but fingers crossed there's a genuine reason for not getting back to me and it can be settled.

Dave

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='977613' date='Oct 4 2010, 08:33 PM']How has DHL managed to destroy a tweeter? I'd have thought that they'd have had to wreck half the cab to achieve that.

re. who uses them - I have a pair of DBs; one with tweeter one without and I'd not be distraught if I had a pair of cabs sans tweeter. I could be wrong but I'm sure that I read somewhere that the full range signal goes through the bass driver in the DB12 cabs so I don't 'think' that it will be filtering the top end; however, if it is then you may well lose a bit of top end if the tweeter is kapput... if you are into that kind of thing.[/quote]

I checked with Aguilar and in the GS cabs the tweeter is just high passed, no reason for the DB to be different.

[quote name='daveybass' post='978195' date='Oct 5 2010, 12:12 PM']Thanks guys, I haven't heard it with it so couldn't really miss it..to get a replacement would cost around £70 - so says Alex from the Bass Gallery.[/quote]
Can't you get a replacement diaphragm? You really need to find out who actually makes the tweeter. Can you post a picture?

The Diaphragms in these cabs are the generic Foster type..... I know as I replaced both of mine. you can source originals for around £15 or get a cheapy of E-bay for around £6.00 Not sure who the horns are made by but might be easier just to buy a whole replacement unit