Why become a member? ×

Getting ripped off on a trade?

Murph_Orpheus

I went into a local store today to try out some Genz Benz XB2 cabinets that I had intended trading my GK Neo 212 and Neo 410 for(reason being I find the GK cabs to be too bright for my liking). The Genz cabinets I tried were the 410T XB2 and the 115T XB2. As soon as I played them I was in love, punchy with a fat low end. So I got talking to the store owner about a deal and he said that even with the trade of my 2 GK cabs that it would cost me €1000 in the difference for the 2 Genz cabs. I'd definitely be getting ripped off if I went through with this wouldn't I!? :)

Hi,

I don't know the prices of the Benz gear but a dealer is ALWAYS going to give you less than you would get for a private sale and the amount they offer is usually about half what you think your gear is worth.

Sell your stuff privately and then go back to the dealer with cash and haggle big style.

Regards,

[quote name='GT40Graham' post='974430' date='Oct 1 2010, 06:45 PM']Hi,

I don't know the prices of the Benz gear but a dealer is ALWAYS going to give you less than you would get for a private sale and the amount they offer is usually about half what you think your gear is worth.

Sell your stuff privately and then go back to the dealer with cash and haggle big style.

Regards,[/quote]

Yep, trading with a dealer should always be a last resort because he needs to take more from any deal than you do.

C

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='974461' date='Oct 1 2010, 07:05 PM']Yeah I'd have to pay 1000 on top of trading in both my GK cabs. Just seems steep.[/quote]

Simple, does that work out at more or less than you would pay cash? Do the maths and work out for yourself whether you're being ripped off or not. Unless you're really crap at maths, you don't need our help

C

agreed to all the above. if you are being offered more from a delaer than you were selling them privately then they are very generous indeed...unless you had under priced them.

As a retailer we offer around 50 -60 % of the second hand market value of the item on a trade in, this is pretty standard.

Simple...

unless the new cabs are way over-priced in the shop..which wouldn't be unlikely with the value he has given you..( given that you say he is paying you more than you could get second-hand ) you just need to decide which deal is better for you..

hassle of selling second-hand..and not getting the price you thought..which is a possibility.
or
take the dealer route

and see which one costs you more out of your pocket.

To make it easy..how much is the price of the new cabs..?
It appears that the trade-in value is about 1000eu..??
and then the buy-in cabs must be over 2000eu..? given that you said the diff was 1000 eu plus..??

that makes those GB cabs 1000eu each, ballpark..??? what does i-net prices confirm..??
Sound pretty expensive GB cabs to me.. and that is why he can afford a good trade-in.

just my 2p