Why become a member? ×

Do any low-end/cheap EUBs sound vaguely like a real DB?

Clarky

Was thinking of picking up a cheap EUB for week-day band practices as I clearly can't bring a DB to work on the tube! I briefly owned a Stagg but didn't really think it sounded like a DB. So are there any cheap-ish EUBs out there that sound vaguely authentic? I presume more expensive models, like Aria and Steinbergers will, but what about things like Palatino's (which come up cheaply s/h) or the cheapie Chinese things on eBay etc? Thanks in advance, Clarky

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='970983' date='Sep 28 2010, 06:24 PM']Was thinking of picking up a cheap EUB for week-day band practices as I clearly can't bring a DB to work on the tube! I briefly owned a Stagg but didn't really think it sounded like a DB. So are there any cheap-ish EUBs out there that sound vaguely authentic? I presume more expensive models, like Aria and Steinbergers will, but what about things like Palatino's (which come up cheaply s/h) or the cheapie Chinese things on eBay etc? Thanks in advance, Clarky[/quote]

This is your best bet all round mate. Not perfect but of the cheapies it's the closest I've found

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64057"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64057[/url]

C

Thanks Chris but its somewhat more than I was looking to spend (walbassist last had it FS at £800 and even though he is accepting offers I wouldn't want to insult a fellow BC'er!)

I was thinking a few hundred quid. Anything in that range or am I thinking the impossible?

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='971314' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:45 AM']How about buying a cheap ply DB and leaving it at your rehearsal space? I suppose depending on where you rehearse there's potential for passing numpties to mess with it though.[/quote]
Thanks, good idea but problem is we may have more than one rehearsal space (Ealing, Camden). In fact I was offered a decent priced EUB late last night and I am going to take this one (another Aria) so problem sorted.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='TheRev' post='971534' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:28 AM']When you get your Aria, put a set of orchestral or, even better, synthetic gut strings (e.g. Obligatos or Honeys) to get a passable double bass sound.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip - I will check first which strings it is currently wearing

Low tension Innovation Silver Slaps transformed both my playing and the sounds coming from my Aria - for the better in both instances! The fact I can't use the mag pickup with them (no metal content) is far outweighed by the benefits.

And Clarky, glad you're sorted but an offer would have been welcome; it takes a lot to insult me! :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='971677' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:20 PM']Low tension Innovation Silver Slaps transformed both my playing and the sounds coming from my Aria - for the better in both instances! The fact I can't use the mag pickup with them (no metal content) is far outweighed by the benefits.[/quote]
Thx Walbassist. I had a set of Weedwacker nylon strings on my DB a year or so back and found that they persistently went out of tune (they are supposed to take some time settling down but weeks later they were still stretching!) and they had very limited volume/sustain on the E and A strings (just a staccato, thin thud) - as Silver Slaps have no metal content would they potentially have the same issues or does the Kevlar core mean they behave like metal strings, only with lower tension?

[quote name='Clarky' post='971692' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:35 PM']Thx Walbassist. I had a set of Weedwacker nylon strings on my DB a year or so back and found that they persistently went out of tune (they are supposed to take some time settling down but weeks later they were still stretching!) and they had very limited volume/sustain on the E and A strings (just a staccato, thin thud) - as Silver Slaps have no metal content would they potentially have the same issues or does the Kevlar core mean they behave like metal strings, only with lower tension?[/quote]

They stay in tune just fine on the Aria and seem evenly balanced across the set when amplified.

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='Clarky' post='971692' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:35 PM']Thx Walbassist. I had a set of Weedwacker nylon strings on my DB a year or so back and found that they persistently went out of tune (they are supposed to take some time settling down but weeks later they were still stretching!) and they had very limited volume/sustain on the E and A strings (just a staccato, thin thud) - as Silver Slaps have no metal content would they potentially have the same issues or does the Kevlar core mean they behave like metal strings, only with lower tension?[/quote]

Weedwhackers are essentially fancy bits of clothesline, Silver slaps are a whole different pot of piscines.

I've used Helicore orchs and Innovation Honeys on my Aria when I had it. Both had a decent DBesque sound, particularly inn a band mix. The helicores had more sustain and definition, the Honeys had more thump and a touch more growl.

Of course, if you're feeling very flush you could try a set of Velvet Garbos - I have a set on my Eminence and they really are rather nice.

"Do any low-end/cheap EUBs sound vaguely like a real DB?"

To answer your question - no.

Cheapies like Stagg or Palatino don't even have a decent wooden fingerboard - it's some kind of plastic, and those cheapies require a lot of money to [i]make [/i]them sound more-like-a DB..

I was gobsmacked when I recorded my cheapy (150 quid) EUB, made by local luthier, and compared it to Staggs/Palatinos - the sound had much more 'wood' in it, and it's just because of the difference in fingerboards, which was wood against plastic, there was nothing fancy in terms setup/detalis of my EUB..

I'm actually selling it, because I give the DB thing up, but a local chap seems interested in it, so I can't offer it here no more..

Faith

All very helpful gents.

So if I were looking for a 'growly, plummy' type sound in a band setting, playing slow/medium-paced blues/ragtime type music (with piano, drums, horns, backing singers, guitar, vocals) which would be your preferred strings, Silver Slaps, Honeys or one of the others mentioned?

[quote name='Clarky' post='971757' date='Sep 29 2010, 02:38 PM']All very helpful gents.

So if I were looking for a 'growly, plummy' type sound in a band setting, playing slow/medium-paced blues/ragtime type music (with piano, drums, horns, backing singers, guitar, vocals) which would be your preferred strings, Silver Slaps, Honeys or one of the others mentioned?[/quote]

If only it were that easy..... The quest for the 'right' double bass string is long, tortuous, confusing, expensive and often leads you right back to where you started. Strings that sound growly & plummy on my Eminence may sound lifeless on your Aria. Strings that sounded growly & plummy on my Aria might not sound growly & plummy on your Aria because we have differing left and right hand techniques. In short, prepare yourself for a bit of experimentation and expense (if you thought £40 for a set of Elixirs was steep - wait till you see how much a set of typical DB strings will set you back).

Anyway, strings to look at:
Helicore Hybrids
Thomastic superflexibles
Pirastro Obligato (v. popular synthetic gut)
Corelli TX (these get a lot of love on the Talkbass EUB forum)
Innovation Honeys.

Essentially you're looking at synthetic gut or orchestral strings. It's probably best to avoid the steel pizz strings (Spriocores) as they're a bit too bright on EUBs even though they sound the dog's doodahs on a proper acoustic bass.

My advice would be this: When your bass arrives, play it lots. If the sound works for you, leave well alone if you decide it's too bright then find out what the stock strings are and keep an eye on the 'for sale' section for used sets that will be darker/more flexible/synthetic rather than steel core, etc. Used sets are always a good way of trying different strings, as long as they're not totally dead.
I have a used set of Helicore hybrids (very nice on the Aria) and a mixed set of Helicore Hybrids with an orchestral G (stock issue on Eminence basses) that I will be putting up for sale soon. Otherwise, just put a shout out on the DB forum if you're looking for a particular set of strings as there's a chance that one of us has an old set lying around.

Wow - I was expecting one-sentence answers! Thats really above and beyond the call of duty, Rev! Many, many thanks for going to all that effort. I will certainly take your advice on board.

I still haven't heard back from the Aria's current owner what strings are on it - given cost considerations I hope its one of those sets you mentioned.

What ever happens I don't think I will ever get near the Velvet strings you mentioned (from a quick internet search, £270 a set, good grief) :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='971921' date='Sep 29 2010, 05:43 PM']What ever happens I don't think I will ever get near the Velvet strings you mentioned (from a quick internet search, £270 a set, good grief) :)[/quote]

That's what I thought and yet here I am with a set of Velvet Garbos. Worth every penny.

If you are going to splash out on a new set, you could do an awful lot worse than the Velvet Blues at a distinctly more affordable £120.

[quote name='Faithless' post='971744' date='Sep 29 2010, 02:22 PM']Cheapies like Stagg or Palatino don't even have a decent wooden fingerboard - it's some kind of plastic, and those cheapies require a lot of money to [i]make [/i]them sound more-like-a DB..[/quote]

The Stagg has a maple fingerboard covered in a type of plasticote black paint. The only plastic bits on a Stagg are the nut and the wiring covers on the back of the body. I agree that the fingerboard will make some difference to the overall sound but I disagree that you need to spend a lot of money making the Stagg sound something like a double bass. It's an awful lot to do with technique, action, strings and eq. But in the same way an electric solid bodied guitar will never sound like an acoustic guitar, even something like an NS design will struggle to sound like a DB, and even less so in the wrong hands.