Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bongo 6

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='967707' date='Sep 25 2010, 03:19 PM']Hello all,

Loving the look of the Bongo 6. Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them or if anyone knows where I could go and try one out? Any information at all (except the price tag) would be gratefully received!

Truckstop[/quote]

I have its little brother.

A friend of mine owns a 6 in an odd midnight blue colour. Sounds great, very versatile, I actually think they are the nicest and most rounded sounding of the Musicman range… but… Being a 6 player I know what I like and I find them horrid to play sitting (not a problem if you stand to rehearse and perform) and I also dislike the neck profile ALOT. I'm not sure what it is about it, I just find it a little primitive for a serious instrument… kinda like a baseball bat.

Of course this is all subjective… my mate loves it so much he sold every other bass he owns! The bassist from Illuminatus also played one when I saw them live last and that sound was so huge I was almost sick :-) [url="http://www.illuminatus.uk.com/"]http://www.illuminatus.uk.com/[/url]

I know they sound incredible, but I also find them very ugly indeed. But I can overlook that based on the sound. If, however, they're uncomfortable and unwieldy, then I'll just save for something else because I don't want a bass that's ugly [b]and[/b] uncomfortable.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='967707' date='Sep 25 2010, 03:19 PM']Loving the look of the Bongo 6.[/quote]

[quote name='Truckstop' post='969655' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:41 PM']but I also find them very ugly indeed[/quote]

Lol

EDIT: I quite fancy a go on one but no idea where you'd find one. I saw a guy playing a 6 string bongo supporting Karnivool but to be honest I totally forgot about that band after Karnivool blew them away (and their bassist uses a 6 string thumb AFAIK).

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='969660' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:44 PM']Lol

EDIT: I quite fancy a go on one but no idea where you'd find one. I saw a guy playing a 6 string bongo supporting Karnivool but to be honest I totally forgot about that band after Karnivool blew them away (and their bassist uses a 6 string thumb AFAIK).[/quote]

That was Illuminatus

And yes Karnivool are bloody awesome. Karnivool Bassist uses A Warwick Thumb NT 6 through Ampeg's with a rather elaborate effects set up… but the sound is a true monster.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='968933' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:30 PM']The little brother looks like the one I'd be buying![/quote]

I think you should. Infact everyone should own one :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='969624' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:18 PM']On that video, it looks quite uncomfortable to play sitting down. Is that right? The balance looks really odd. Any thoughts, Munk?

Truckstop[/quote]

am sitting with it the noo and its ok to sit with. I have just A-B'd it with the Jag and its exactly the same.

As long as your forearm is resting on the top of bass then its a nice fit and wont go anywhere.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='969726' date='Sep 27 2010, 05:24 PM']played a bongo 5 HH in edinburgh in a sexy purple,

Found it very comfertable to play seated in a chair and on a bar stool,

Love the bongo, though i don't get on with the neck, need more time playing it,

also LOVE the shape haha![/quote]

im not sure where this uncomfortable side of things has come from.

the bass is a real cracker. hangs well, sits well and plays amazing.

regarding the neck,,,,if you know me, then you will know im a jazz bass fan, this neck fits into my hand very well and plays fast too.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='969664' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:47 PM']That was Illuminatus

And yes Karnivool are bloody awesome. Karnivool Bassist uses A Warwick Thumb NT 6 through Ampeg's with a rather elaborate effects set up… but the sound is a true monster.[/quote]

Ahhh, OK. Well his sound was great until Karnivool started playing.

I'm pretty sure he gigs with Ashdowns but perhaps he uses Ampeg in the studio.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='970357' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:12 AM']Ahhh, OK. Well his sound was great until Karnivool started playing.

I'm pretty sure he gigs with Ashdowns but perhaps he uses Ampeg in the studio.[/quote]

True. When I saw them last he was using an EBS Fafner, but it belongs to the support band. I spoke with him after the show and in his words he said that he prefers to gig with Ashdown or Ampeg, but is happy with any amp at all as he can get that tone put of anything given half hour with his EQ set up!

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult given his huge pedalboard. It did look like the ashdown rack was his when I saw them at rock city, but I suppose that was naive of me - who would fly an ashdown all the way from australia!?

Seriously his tone was good enough to give me a prostate massage. Were you at rock city then? I'm going to see them again in Manchester, I think it's in December.

EDIT: They were touring with a full pro tools rig, racked for their live sound - perhaps the bass is going through that too.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='970374' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:27 AM']I guess it wouldn't be too difficult given his huge pedalboard. It did look like the ashdown rack was his when I saw them at rock city, but I suppose that was naive of me - who would fly an ashdown all the way from australia!?

Seriously his tone was good enough to give me a prostate massage. Were you at rock city then? I'm going to see them again in Manchester, I think it's in December.

EDIT: They were touring with a full pro tools rig, racked for their live sound - perhaps the bass is going through that too.[/quote]
Yeah I was at city, and a few months before at Rescue Rooms with Skindred & Dead By April.

Would love to see them at Manchester but we are without a car and can't afford to add train and hotel to the gig price :)

I would think he was going into the Pro Tools rig. Would make sense to keep the band as 'CD-like' as possible.