Why become a member? ×

5 string Bass Ukulele.

Owen

I have been massively enjoying my Kala Ubass but fancied a bottom B. I contacted the bloke at Road Toad to enquire about a 5 string one but it was not to be. I then googled for a Ukulele forum and came across the name Pete Howlett ([url="http://petehowlettukulele.co.uk/"]http://petehowlettukulele.co.uk/[/url]) who seemed to be well respected within the Uke community as a luthier. I contacted him and lo and behold he told me that he was moving within a half hour drive. He moved in last week and Redstriper and myself drove across to discuss ideas. He will be building me a bass based on his tenor Ukelectic design (chambered solid body - extensive videos here [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/PeteHowlett#p/.../0/zCPKF9-i098"]http://www.youtube.c..../0/zCPKF9-i098[/url]) but with the bridge moved back to accommodate a 23.5 inch scale to get the B to work. I am not sure what the timescale will be at the moment, but as you can guess, I am pretty excited :)

Edited by owen

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to see Pete again this evening (those of you who live in less rural areas have NO IDEA how unusual it is to be able to jump in the car and go and see a luthier). He has done all the scale drawings and I am going full cocobolo front/fingerboard/headstock facing. He has said that he is making two - the second with his own choice of front woods - so if anyone else fancies one you know where to go.

[attachment=60586:IMG_0685.JPG]

[attachment=60587:IMG_0686.jpg]

[attachment=60585:IMG_0684.JPG]

[quote name='7string' post='979530' date='Oct 6 2010, 03:59 PM']Great project.

I got in touch with Road Toad as well about a bass uke, but after 1 reply didn't get anything else! If you don't want an order then so be it!

Do you know if Pete builds a bass uke anyway as I can't see anything on his site?[/quote]

This is his first, but having spent some time with him I have no reason to believe it will be anything but stonking. He was going to build a full acoustic one (with pick up obv) for me but I fell in love with the Uklectic concept. He does "build a Uke in 3 days" weekends so I might well find myself there for one of those and build a "normal" bass uke one day.

My experience with Road Toad was exactly the same. Strange, because my money is good, but I am happy because I am getting it done by a bloke down the road:)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='980645' date='Oct 7 2010, 04:05 PM']What exactly is a bass ukelele?[/quote]

Good times, that's what a Bass Uke is.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93168&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93168&hl=[/url]

Get with the now :)

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see Pete last week to look at some cocobolo he had sourced. He has sourced some nice bookmatched pieces

[attachment=62923:Cocobolo.jpg]

The picture is a bit blanched, but the ends are more representative of colour..

I have also changed the headstock shape to more of a LP shape because the body is LP-esque. Here is a pic of someone else's smaller instrument just for proportion.

[attachment=62924:IMG_0744.jpg]

Finally here is some cocobolo he will use for headstock facing

[attachment=62925:IMG_0742.jpg]

It's all coming along nicely :)

[quote name='7string' post='1010235' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:15 AM']Cocobolo's not my favourite wood (personal thing!!!), but I love the shape of the instrument. :)[/quote]

He will be building 2 of them and using another wood for the 2nd, so you will see it in something else as well :)

• 2 months later...

Ukulele's a way under-rated instrument and there's a bit of a Uke Revolution going on at the moment.

As it's uses nylon strings, much easier to handle than a guitar and only has the 4 string a lot of kids are playing ukes in schools. That's getting a lot of parents involved as well and groups are springing up across the UK.

I play uke for fun (I have a concert and a tenor)I have a and it's great working out songs, transposing them if need be, and then playing them. There's a host of uke stuff on YouTube so well worth a look around.

More bass uke!

[quote name='7string' post='1114744' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:58 PM']Ukulele's a way under-rated instrument and there's a bit of a Uke Revolution going on at the moment.

As it's uses nylon strings, much easier to handle than a guitar and only has the 4 string a lot of kids are playing ukes in schools. That's getting a lot of parents involved as well and groups are springing up across the UK.

I play uke for fun (I have a concert and a tenor)I have a and it's great working out songs, transposing them if need be, and then playing them. There's a host of uke stuff on YouTube so well worth a look around.

More bass uke!

[/quote]

The uke revolution has been going for years now, not moments - there are a few bands out there actually gigging and making a real fist of it too, including mine!

[quote name='7string' post='1114744' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:58 PM']Ukulele's a way under-rated instrument and there's a bit of a Uke Revolution going on at the moment.

More bass uke!

[/quote]

Cool idea, but that bloke's singing at the camera is freaking me out.

I know what you mean!

[quote name='Mace' post='1114779' date='Feb 4 2011, 12:39 AM']The uke revolution has been going for years now, not moments - there are a few bands out there actually gigging and making a real fist of it too, including mine![/quote]

Apologies. I should have said still going on at the moment!

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1120944' date='Feb 9 2011, 08:25 AM']What is the volume of a bass uke like unamplified?[/quote]

Realistically not enough for any group playing other than a gentle front room jam with a sensitive acoustic guitarist.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mikey R' post='1134850' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:31 PM']Where do you get hold of the strings for these? Are they in regular music shops?[/quote]

Purple Turtle music for the 4 string set. I am nit sure if they stock the B. Roadtoad from the US for the B

[attachment=73566:IMG_0981.jpg]

Getting there slowly. Pete is going with side LEDs and is looking forward to those more than anything else :) Thanks to Mr Letts for his link to kingblossomguitars on youtube. Pete looked at the vid and said "well, that is a no brainer".