Why become a member? ×

Handmade monitor speakers

leftybassman392

I made these many years ago for a domestic hifi, and they also served time as early studio monitors. Can't remember the las time I used 'em, and I don't think anyone would pay for 'em, so here they are.

[attachment=59480:001.JPG] [attachment=59481:002.JPG]

Drivers are KEF (T27 + B110); X-over is the same design as the one used in the legendary (to us old hifi farts at least) Rogers BBC studio monitors. Cabinets are solid 1/2" mahogany lined with a thick layer of bitumen and sand (I think it's bitumen) to kill panel resonances, and with the internal volume filled with audio quality wool fibre stuff. Everything was designed to be replaceable, so you could keep the cabinets, ditch everything else and put your own chopice of units in.... neat eh!

They're heaviear than they look at around 10- 12 Kg each, so don't even ask about postage.

Who wants 'em?

Edited by leftybassman392

Just found a pair of KEF Ref 101's (aka LS3/5a) on eBay with the same drivers and crossover design. £299 o.b.o. - and the wood isn't as nice as mine either! I genuinely thought nobody would pay good money for them... D'Oh!

[quote name='stevie' post='965854' date='Sep 23 2010, 05:28 PM']If I'm not mistaken, those drivers often fetch around £100 on eBay.[/quote]

They're not actually worth the money they fetch (IMO), because it's fairly old technology and newer drivers can do a lot better. However, the LS3/5a has been praised so often by cloth-eared idiot reviewers in the hi-fi press that they have gained cult status and this status has been conferred on the drivers used in that box.

I'd agree with that actually - during my search I found several sets of Codas being touted at around £300 a pair. I had a pair of Codas when they first came out, and whilst they were pretty good at the time they certainly wouldn't stack up against a half decent pair of modern speakers that you'd get for a lot less than £300.

[quote name='stevie' post='966484' date='Sep 24 2010, 10:34 AM']They're not actually worth the money they fetch (IMO), because it's fairly old technology and newer drivers can do a lot better. However, the LS3/5a has been praised so often by cloth-eared idiot reviewers in the hi-fi press that they have gained cult status and this status has been conferred on the drivers used in that box.[/quote]

• 1 month later...

ls3/5a`s are often over praised but in their day they were a revelation and i have heard some on top of some awesome kit that sounded out of this world! as for the money they fetch! that is just plain barmy! mind you we have FEEbay to thank for hiking the price up on loads of stuff. poxy site. but yes you would have got £100 for these no problem and they look bloody well made.

Lefty offered them to me as I believe I was the first to respond (pm) to his post. At the time neither Lefty or myself realised just how much these might be worth. Later, as their true worth became clear I decided to back out of Lefty's kind offer (which he was still happy to go through with - a man of his word) and I suggested maybe he should try to sell them.

So nothing untoward going on here I promise! Please, blame me if it appears otherwise!

Regards,

Tyron