Why become a member? ×

Double Bass help

Vamoh

My partner wants a DB for a big birthday coming up and lessons / coaching... He has a Jazz dream. I have been reading the forum and know a bit about the issues -full size vs 3/4, that a DB may need to be set up.. but where and how much? We are in Glasgow and I think he may need to chat to someone who is expereinced or I do.... Help!

I can definitely attest to the Thomann basses being great value for money. You may or may not need a set-up in that I was more than happy with the set-up that came from Thomann - where I specified string height - and the sound-post was still in place so I was able to string it up and get playing within minutes of it's arrival. I've been playing the upright for about 12 years now, got my Thomann last October - happy camper indeed.

Oh - and you DON"T want a full size. 99.5% of basses in the world are 3/4 size. It is the standard size. Plus that'll help if he ever decides to sell it on.

Or Gedo Musik's mid range basses (also Czech). Best to find someone to talk to, if you have no other reference. There must be someone in Glasgow? Teachers are generally willing to offer a first lesson to someone without a bass so they can get a handle on what its all about.

Renting is a good idea, especially if it's his first time at this. Some shops might offer to take the rental price out of the final sale price if you go for that. Another idea is to contact local schools/colleges/amateur orchestras to see if someone has a left handed upright. Definitely check out Thomann for left handed instruments. Check this out: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_1_l.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_1_l.htm[/url]