Why become a member? ×

Restoration ?

howdoesitgoagain

I have just re-acquired my tatty old Marshall 4x15 cab, [with a sloping top] it originally had 12's in it I am told and the story goes that Lemmy once owned it and put 15's in but this is rumour and not proven...... hippy chat probably....

3 of the drivers [ Celestion G15M ] are shredded, one seems ok but I haven't tested it yet.

My question is should I get these drivers reconed or replace the lot with some modern ones or equal or higher power?

My amp at the moment is a Carslbro Stingray 150 watt so not loads of power. Currently sits on top of a small Mesa 1x15 of unknown wattage but probably 200 watts or there abouts...

I like a smooth sound so are the Celestions going to get snarly and cross at higher volumes with the amp I have?

The cab is not ported either so I suppose this should be taken into consideration.

I have been quoted 50 quid per recone so it is going to cost £200 plus some fabric for the box.

Am I being silly and should I sell it all on fleabay and get something modern :)

Cheers, Steve..

If the Marshall has been modded that much and is not great cosmetically, don't think its going to be worth the cost of a refurb.
Also to get the max from your Carlsbro you'd probably need to have it wire to a 4 ohm load, which wouldnt be in keeping with
the spec/era your Marshall dates from (am guessing it would have originally been 16 ohm cab), thus making it even less
desirable for vintage freaks.

I'd put the money towards a good bass cab, and flog the Marshall as it is - someone may give you a decent price for it,you never know!

I used to have a Marshall 4x15 and the speakers were 50watts each which is very poor considering the bulk of the cab.
I am not sure what you would benefit from reconing 3 or 4 speakers..it would cost more than the cab is worth and you still wouldn't end up with much of a power increase..even if they ( reconers ) had kits for them, still.

Assuming this cab is as old as the hills, it really is too much bother to buy 4x 15" and get the cab set up for that.
Pot luck is called for.
Unless you can fill it very cheaply, cut your loses and get rid of it

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='960009' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:57 PM']It can make a good sound, just not a very bassy one. Stick 2 15s in it, block up the other holes and port them, probably big enough for that, and modern speakers will probably be happy in the space, then have all the style of a 4x15, but lighter and moderner sounding.[/quote]

Excellent suggestion, I thought of something similar but was shouted down by a mate as it would be sacrilegious :) but what does he know ..

My wife has sort of persuaded me to keep the thing, it looks scary and fits in with our bands style [ ogres mostly ] .. I will have a chat with our pa guy about suitable speakers, baffles and porting.

It is a big box, do you think I might get lynched if I chopped it in half and had two Marshall cabs :rolleyes:

Chopping it down is lame.

Best bet is measure up and post in the Barefaced forum, where people will tell you to use two Eminence 3015 speakers (non-LF) and work out the porting appropriate to the internal volume. I'd spray a pair of round patches black to cover the other holes and have a round port in the middle, so they look kind of like a speaker through the cloth. Ideally, you want the two drivers on one side, for best sound, but that will balance and look weird. Not such an issue as those drivers are very light.

There is loads of other stuff to make a better cabinet, like lining the inside with knobbly foam and suchlike.

[quote name='howdoesitgoagain' post='960229' date='Sep 18 2010, 10:40 AM']Excellent suggestion, I thought of something similar but was shouted down by a mate as it would be sacrilegious :) but what does he know ..

My wife has sort of persuaded me to keep the thing, it looks scary and fits in with our bands style [ ogres mostly ] .. I will have a chat with our pa guy about suitable speakers, baffles and porting.

It is a big box, do you think I might get lynched if I chopped it in half and had two Marshall cabs :rolleyes:[/quote]

don't cut it in half, i've seen far to many attempts at this, it always looks terrible