Why become a member? ×

NOS PIO Paper In Oil Capacitors 0.047uF & 0.01uF

[font="Arial Black"]Having a rest from selling these. Thanks to all who bought them.[/font] :)

[color="#FF0000"]Mods could you please delete this post - many thanks[/color]

[b]0.047uF (K40Y) 200v[/b] : [color="#0000FF"][attachment=58703:cap_007.JPG]

[s][b]0.1uF (K42Y) 500v [/b]: [color="#0000FF"][attachment=58704:cap_009.JPG]

[b]Easy to install[/b] :rolleyes:

[attachment=74949:ryder_pio_002.JPG]

Edited by nick

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1068987' date='Dec 24 2010, 07:59 PM']What kind of snake did the oil come from? :)[/quote]

Sorry Jean-Luc, don't understand your comment - could you please clarify? :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1069832' date='Dec 26 2010, 10:06 PM']Apologies, no offense intended. It was an attempt at humour based on my cloth ears not being able to tell the difference between the various types of caps I've used. I'm happy to delete the post if you think it could be seen as a dig.[/quote]

No problem & no offense taken.
There are already threads of debates & thoughts on PIO caps on this forum & elsewhere. Just believe (in general) that someone's for sale post is not the right place for expressing a subjective opinion. Its something I've never done myself.
The BCers who've had these caps from me are satisfied, & thankfully don't have cloth ears. :)

[quote name='nick' post='955372' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:58 PM']I've come into possession of some (more than I'll ever need!); Russian paper in oil caps. These are great in tone circuits - if like me, you use the tone control a lot.
Lovely, warm tones in P-Basses! :)

[b]0.047uF (K40Y) 200v[/b] : £[s]2.00[/s] [color="#0000FF"]£1.50 each inc. P&P[/color]
[attachment=58703:cap_007.JPG]

[b]0.1uF (K42Y) 500v [/b]: [s]£3[/s] [color="#0000FF"]£2 each inc. P&P[/color]
[attachment=58704:cap_009.JPG]

Please PM me if interested.
Thanks[/quote]

Hi,

What is the difference between these and 'normal' capacitors??

Thanks,

Rob

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1070245' date='Dec 27 2010, 04:36 PM']What do you consider to be 'normal' capacitors? There are loads of types.[/quote]

good point! the only ones ive used are the ones that come standard in fender jazz basses and ive played about with the different ratings; .033 and .047 are the ones that spring to mind. i think 'mylar' was the brand?

thanks,

rob

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='rob_89' post='1070271' date='Dec 27 2010, 05:09 PM']i think 'mylar' was the brand?[/quote]
'Mylar' is a material sometimes used in the construction of a capacitor. This makes it one of the 'many 'types' referred to previously. It's not really a 'brand'.

A capacitor is basically two conductors separated by an insulator (called the dielectric). The surface area of the electrodes and the characteristics of the insulator determine the capacitance of the device and its safe operating voltage.

Paper was a common insulator in early capacitors and the paper was often soaked in oil to increase the safe working voltage. This was important as such capacitors were commonly used in old valve radios, which often had high voltage power supplies.

Also, info here: [url="http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Apr/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors_Part_II.aspx"]types of guitar tone capacitors[/url] may help to clarify.

Cheers

Edited by nick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I fitted these (paper/oil 47s) this afternoon in my thinline passive jazz and they REALLY make a difference. 1st tried it through a practice amp where I couldnt hear a change by fired up my SWR and the difference is very noticable - rolling off the tone the sound is certainly more warm by more defined useable warmth, if that makes any sense - I find it hard to explain tones.

Cheapest way to make your bass sound sweeter

Thanks Nick

[quote name='nugget' post='1190746' date='Apr 6 2011, 05:53 PM']I fitted these (paper/oil 47s) this afternoon in my thinline passive jazz and they REALLY make a difference. 1st tried it through a practice amp where I couldnt hear a change by fired up my SWR and the difference is very noticable - rolling off the tone the sound is certainly more warm by more defined useable warmth, if that makes any sense - I find it hard to explain tones.

Cheapest way to make your bass sound sweeter

Thanks Nick[/quote]

I agree.

I tried the green one in an my fender jazz and it really made a big difference over the 'standard' caps.

Have a bump on me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...