Why become a member? ×

Help - bass combo

davideleira

Hi people.
I need help. I'm confused about this 3 amps:
Roland CB100 (355 euros)
Orange Crush Pix CR100BXT (215 euros)
Ashdown MAG C115-300 Evo II (450 euros)

I want to buy in Portugal (i'm from Portugal), and i don't see any amps used in Portugal, and i want to spend a maximum of 355 euros, 450 it's very much... :) I want something for practice band and gigs (using PA). I don't want to abuse the volume of the amp. A amp with a great reability for many years. I play everything, less metal (only one or two musics of Metallica); we play bands like Foo Fighters, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Linda Martini, Muse, Nirvana, RATM, (...). My band has two guitarists (with 30w each one i think), baterist (not very very very loud), singer, and i'm using a very old amp with 80w but it only delivers 40w i think and it does it job. I don't use very much effects, but they can be usefull one time..

Sorry about my english. Cumps

Edited by davideleira

I`ve no experience of the amps mentioned, but I`ve always found Ashdown to be very warm sounding when hearing other bassists using them, and the sounds that came out were not sounds I would have used if playing songs from the bands that you mention. That said, it could just be the way those bassists liked their sound, and the amps could well have been able to do what your after. For the bands you like, have you thought of Hartke, as they are very versatile, and great sounding.

Hi David,

I own an Ashdown C115 Evo II combo, I bought it brandnew about 15months ago and had no trouble with it what so ever. I bought it from Thommann in Germany for £310.00, the local music sshop to me wanted over £360.00.

I find the amp very good, plenty of tones to play with considering it's a 15" speaker, I prefer the 15 as I like to feel the bottom end, but the amp really comes to life whe you add Ashdown's ext cab to it, I bought a 15" deep ext cab because I found the combo on it's own just lacked a bit of wallop when playing a big room, so by adding the extra cab you're making the amp run at optimum level, e.g it now runs at 8-ohms giving you the full 307 watts asopposed to probably only half that when run without the ext cab.

In hindsight, if I ever was to change my cab, I would probably get Ashdowns 2x10" version of mine and link that with my 15" ext cab giving me a more complete sound, all part of the learning experience for me.

Hope you get what you want,

Lee :)

I'm going to test the Roland, but i'm now thinking in the Ashdown. Maybe i will go to the Ashdown because it could deliver 307w with a extra cab, and without cab delivers 180w and it's much more than the Roland. I wish that Ashdown have a Octave Bass :) But no problem.
Thanks

Edited by davideleira

Thank you King Tut, but i think i'm going to a Ashdown because it has everything i need and it has very much power, and i could get a extra cab for bigger gigs. I always use DI but i want something with very power to handle everything that never goes more than 5/6 level in the volume.
Heavy or big it's not a problem for me.

Ps: What cab do you people think that it's better to use with the ashdown? 2x10 or 1x15 or something else? An Ashdown or other? I don't want to speed very much :) less possible, and with quality ...

Edited by davideleira

The Orange Crush stuff is fine, we've only ever had one thread on those though so not so popular on here (I started the thread so not a criticism of Orange Crush). I owned the 50w which was an ok / nice practice amp. My advice would be go for the best you can afford. I've gigged 100w amps a bit but my band is quite quiet. I've owned a Roland too which had a great tone (the DB700) but from your 3 I'd opt for Ashdown because I think you could use it more

Thank you for the opinion (: I'm going to the Ashdown.

Well, anyone does see a online store with the Ashdown at a good price?

And what extra cab that you recomend for the Ashdown MAG C115-300 Evo II? 2x10 or 1x15 or something else? An Ashdown or other? I don't want to speed very much :) less possible, and with quality ...

If you went for the Ashdown 2x10" combo, you would be best to buy a 15" ext cab, you can pick them up second hand on ebay for less than £100, I got my cab for £80.

If you decide to go for the Ashdown Mag C115 -300 Evo II you would be best to buy the 15" ext cab, don't make the mistake of buying the 2x10" ext cab as this configuration wouldn't sound right. It is always best to have the a 15" cab on the floor with 2x10's above it, not the other way round.

Regards,

Lee

Ps, try thomann for the Ashdown range of products - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown.html?sid=a6612011bdba085af6e24864cedff826"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown.html?sid=...6e24864cedff826[/url]