Why become a member? ×

Want a P bass!

davebass66

[quote name='tino' post='952959' date='Sep 11 2010, 06:11 PM']Go try a few old & new .....make up your own mind....its worth the effort[/quote]
As everyone else said, try lots. I spent 20 years finding 2 precisions that I love (a '73 sunburst / rw, and a '75 black / maple) but I went through a lot more than that on the journey to find them. Don't automatically assume that everything from the '70s (can't comment on the 60s ones) will be great... I've played (and owned) some very ordinary Precisions from that era.

Also, try a Lakland Bob Glaub. You can pick one up for £650 - £750, and they're bloody great.

[quote name='Beedster' post='953281' date='Sep 12 2010, 12:59 AM']If I had £1500 to spend in the current economic climate, in which a lot of people are being forced to offload vintage gear at low prices, I'd be looking out for a mid-late 70s Fender.[/quote]
What Chris said... £1500 should get you something seriously nice in the current climate.

[quote name='tredders' post='955078' date='Sep 13 2010, 05:32 PM']As everyone else said, try lots. I spent 20 years finding 2 precisions that I love (a '73 sunburst / rw, and a '75 black / maple) but I went through a lot more than that on the journey to find them. Don't automatically assume that everything from the '70s (can't comment on the 60s ones) will be great... I've played (and owned) some very ordinary Precisions from that era.

Also, try a Lakland Bob Glaub. You can pick one up for £650 - £750, and they're bloody great.

What Chris said... £1500 should get you something seriously nice in the current climate.[/quote]
When I said go try lots I actually meant be a lazy sod and come buy my P for £675 OVVVVVNO :rolleyes:
Those vintage buggers is well over rated :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='953315' date='Sep 12 2010, 07:40 AM']Controversial

I think P-basses are a one trick pony abate it's a very good trick, I'd say get an SX P-bass you'll get a really nice finish a great P-bass sound and you'll save yourself £1300.

/Controversial.[/quote]
I have the jazz bass version of the SX.....Very good bass indeed..paid £150 for it new....nails the classic jazz sound..feels looks and plays great!

Tino, I'm really interested in coming to have a go on your P bass, (will call tomorrow)....did it come with the pickup and bridge cover or were they added after? do you have the serial no.? trying to find the spec for a 2008 American standard but without joy, any more info you have on it would be great!... :)

Edited by davebass66

I know no one cares what I think but honestly a squier classic vibe is all the p bass you'll ever need. If you don't like basswood get a CIJ fender. When I got mine I tested a 2010 us standard too and the jap blew it out of the water in tone and fit and finish. Either way you save a grand which could be used for something else? To me a p bass is a work horse. I think super ps kind of miss the point.

I don't think anyone would argue with the posts stating some of the cheaper squire and SX stuff will do the job or that you may have a lifelong friend in top end bass (be it a £1500 RI or other make)

However please don't rule out japanese fenders basses, you can get a fantastic instrument for around £500

I've a CIJ P bass, it cost me £450 and I couldn't love it more, its seen action already so I am not so concerned about where i use it, so it gets happy use, if I had a brand shiny new RI62 Id be worried to take it half the places I go

Having said that MM20 was selling a MIA P bass that is as new and may be worth a look

[quote name='lojo' post='956825' date='Sep 15 2010, 06:28 AM']I don't think anyone would argue with the posts stating some of the cheaper squire and SX stuff will do the job or that you may have a lifelong friend in top end bass (be it a £1500 RI or other make)

However please don't rule out japanese fenders basses, you can get a fantastic instrument for around £500

I've a CIJ P bass, it cost me £450 and I couldn't love it more, its seen action already so I am not so concerned about where i use it, so it gets happy use, if I had a brand shiny new RI62 Id be worried to take it half the places I go

Having said that MM20 was selling a MIA P bass that is as new and may be worth a look[/quote]

Thanks for the plug :)

MIJ Fenders - I would definitely like a used one, (and I wish id bought Clarky's!). The difficulty is sourcing one.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Beedster' post='953281' date='Sep 11 2010, 11:59 PM']I love Precisions for the same reason that Jeremy Clarkson loves Alfas, not despite their limitations, but because of them. If I had £1500 to spend in the current economic climate, in which a lot of people are being forced to offload vintage gear at low prices, I'd be looking out for a mid-late 70s Fender. They're not versatile, they're not sophisticated, they're not clever, but generally speaking, even the bad ones, and we're talking heavy, poorly finished (big enough gap at pocket to store your fags in), PUPs/bridge off-line etc., still have THAT tone

C[/quote]

+1... Big time! That's the way to go if you have 1500 to spend. I have owned plenty of 70's P's and they were all great. Different but great!

One thing, though. I noticed that you play J basses, so you may want to look for a P with an 'A' neck (jazz width at the nut)...

[quote name='davebass66' post='955621' date='Sep 14 2010, 12:42 AM']Tino, I'm really interested in coming to have a go on your P bass, (will call tomorrow)....did it come with the pickup and bridge cover or were they added after? do you have the serial no.? trying to find the spec for a 2008 American standard but without joy, any more info you have on it would be great!... :)[/quote]
came with all fitted......phones on til 10