Why become a member? ×

Taper core strings

franzbassist

My Veillette fretted wears Hipshot mono bridge units as below, and the saddles are cut for taper core strings.

Now, the bass is currently wearing Ken Smith nickel taper cores, but the B string is too long and some of the actual string wraps around the headstock; I want to find a make of string that avoids this.

The distance from the ball end to just short of the B string tuner is 36.5"; anyone know of any taper core B strings that'll fit?

Also, nickels sound a bit "dark" on this bass, so I'm happy to go to steel. Must be roundwound too.

DR Long Necks?
La Bella Super Steps?

What else is out there?

Cheers

Garteh

Edited by walbassist

Daddario do 125 for the B on their XL range, it is their lightestTC, I think.

For me the jury is still out on them as strings... they are quite a full sound but do last whereas DR are snappier and brighter, IMV, but don't last as long.
You'd be changing DR after 4 weeks max, I'd have thought, altho the XL's stay the same longer, IMO.
The XL have a higher tenstion than hi-beams so that needs to taken into account, too.

Super steps are down to the inner core over the bridge.

Edited by JTUK

DR's are brighter than XL's but go off quicker, for sure. Maybe it is the degredation that makes this so obvious.
If I had to choose a string sound as new, it would be DR every time.. XL do not start at the same bright place, but retain their position longer, IME.

DR's clean up very well many timesd over, not sure XL will do this. I have put back a pr of XL after a clean and took them off within a few weeks.
That makes DR a better bet if you put them back on a few times, IME.