Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics : 450 combo , RH450 +112 or 210 or BG500

Bassdude BE

Hi fellow basschatters,

I just sold my EBS rig because starting next month i have to go to rehearsels by subway/train and needed something more portable.
After looking around for a while i always ended up looking at (and listening to) the new TC electronic bass-amps.

So i've already made up my mind, my next amp is going to be a TC,
but i'm still in doubt wich set-up would be best for me since i want portability but don't want to loose a lot of sound quality and bottom end either...

after browsing the forums i ended up with the following choices:

=> the RH450 combo (price +-1250 Euro's)

+ very portable
+ it even has wheels :)
+ all the spec's of the RH 450
+ 2x10"
+removable top

- the 2x10 is smaller than a regular RS 210 = loss in volume /low end??
- price

=> RH 450 + RS 112 (Price +- 1050Euro's)

+ very portable
+ comes with free footswitch

- just one 12" speaker @ 200watts = not enough volume ??
(might have to buy another 112 later on)

=> 2nd hand RH450 + RS 210 (price +-1100Euro)

+ 2x10"
+removable top
+ better sound due to larger cab ?

- have to buy the head used,because i cant afford the set new and the used head has some scratches on it...
-slightly less portable than the combo or RS112

[u]And then i bumped on this one:[/u]

=> the TC BG500 210 combo,
TC claims it has almost the same features as the RH450 ,but how is it soundwise / quality???
so far i've only found one demo of this combo and it didn't sound as good as the RH450 demo's i've heard so far

+ way cheaper than the above
+ lot of the same features as on the RH 450

- Sound ???
-quality materials??
- heavy (32kg)

Do someof you basschatters have experience with one or more of these combinations/combo's?

and what would be your advice for me???

Thanks in advance!!!

Having owned a Combo 450 I can tell you that the wheels dont offer any 'heavy duty' portability - anything other than a laminate floor and the wheels will snag on the cab and 'burn through' onto the wood.

I learnt this the hard way, first Combo 450 that came into DV I snapped up, walked it to practice about 10mins from my student halls along tarmac and paving, turned up at practice with a nice smooth wood hole showing through the covering behind the wheels.

It also wasnt very loud. Struggled at most gigs with it, apart from a chilled out acoustic one, to get enough volume out of it to actually hear myself without it being cranked in the monitor. My recommendation would be to get another cab, the RS112 maybe, just so the whole 450 watts are coming through.

The BG500 combos got some good reviews. Bass Guitar Mag's recent issue has a review. 4 1/2 out of five I think and they got someone to actually use one and review it for them. Definitely worth a look.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

AJ

The BG500 looks great except for the weight. I suppose with a decent hand truck it wouldn't be an issue until you came to stairs - then it'd be a VERY big deal, at least for my back! Shep on here has one (pantherairsoft) and has a whole page to himself in the new BGM singing its praises so he might be the guy to ask.

Edited by Bigwan

thanks for the help,
good to know the BG500 might sound good, but i guess i'm going for the rh450 + a 210 or maybe 2 x 112 because i live in an partment with no elevator and dragging the bg500 up the stairs every time when i come back from the rehearsels is not something i would like to look forward to...

thanks again guys, now i just have to figure out if i'm going for the RH450 + 112 and buy a second 112 somewhere next month or if i'm just going to save up some money for another month so i can buy the RH 450 + RS 210 cab...

Edited by Bassdude BE

Love the head. Wasn't sure about the cabs for a while though. I've always thought I prefered 12's but having tried the RS212 which I liked, I realised it wasn't quite giving me the headroom I needed and I would need another cab to release the full wattage. That would have probably meant getting an RS112 brand new, which is pricey and they still don't seem to make a cover for them (essential IMO for the finish on these cabs). I tried the RS212+RS112 rig in the shop for a bit and it was very nice, but I know I would often struggle to position that rig without being up against a wall and that slightly shallower RS210 makes a fair difference.

So fast forward a few weeks...I sold the RS212 and ended up with the RS210C and an RS210. So far I really like it, the RS210 on its own sounds nice and the pair stacked vertically almost sounds unreal as I can hear myself so well. I think the combo450 is just a luxury really, having the RH450 and an RS210 is pretty much as good as it gets. The little niggles on the combo450 are easily sorted though, I've fitted some rubber feet and fixed the little rubber stops for the trolley so it can't rub the cab finish anymore.

I guess if I could only have one cab the RS212 would have been my choice...but being able to get 2 cabs I think I prefer 2xRS210's, and having 2 of the full size cabs is what you need to really get that vertical stack that you can hear so clearly.

so after reading this i might conclude the RS 210 is the best option??

i can buy only one cab at first ,but after a few months i will probably be able to buy a second one to get that nice & compact stack verybody seems to be so positive about... :)

(The 112's do have the new upgraded finish though so a cover is not as important anymore as it would be with the older cabs)

[quote name='Bassdude BE' post='950074' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:13 PM']so after reading this i might conclude the RS 210 is the best option??

i can buy only one cab at first ,but after a few months i will probably be able to buy a second one to get that nice & compact stack verybody seems to be so positive about... :)

(The 112's do have the new upgraded finish though so a cover is not as important anymore as it would be with the older cabs)[/quote]
If you are going to aim for 2 cabs eventually then you have all the options available. Personally though I think you should consider RS210+RS212 or RS210+RS210. I'm leaving the RS112 out as although it's very nice I really like that vertical stack thing and the RS112 is not really high enough to get you there. The new finish is better as you say, but I'd still strongly recommend a cover.

I was the lucky chap to win a BG500 from TC Electronics, and as mentioned I have a review of it in this months BGM.

For sound, quality and for price I would honestly say I would choose the BG500 over both the combo and the stack. I really struggle to like the tone of the RH450, I can't explain how, but coming from my EBS tone it just seems 'Weak'. The BG500 however sounds massive and has more volume than I know what to do with.

BUT...

You are going on a train. That means the BG500 IS NOT the amp for you. It is in no way portable and is a 2 man lift for anything other than moving it 10feet or so. It is a real heavy beast and not designed as a portable amp. it is a high studio and live quality bit of kit, packed with features, but at the pay off of weight.

Shep

[quote name='Legion' post='950090' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:28 PM']If you are going to aim for 2 cabs eventually then you have all the options available. Personally though I think you should consider RS210+RS212 or RS210+RS210. I'm leaving the RS112 out as although it's very nice I really like that vertical stack thing and the RS112 is not really high enough to get you there. The new finish is better as you say, but I'd still strongly recommend a cover.[/quote]

+1

I would check all preset volumes and gain before worrying about the volume of this amp. It is monsterously loud.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='950290' date='Sep 9 2010, 09:39 AM']+1

I would check all preset volumes and gain before worrying about the volume of this amp. It is monsterously loud.[/quote]

i have been using a rh450 and 212 for a while now, i trickle a bit into the our pa sometimes, but this on its own has done pubs and small halls, I keep saying I will add a 210, but it does enough as is

I've a larger gig coming up soon, and may use that as an excuse to go for the extra cab