Why become a member? ×

Need a good compressor and tuner

Jamesemt

How about the zoom b2.1 or b2.1ut? Really great bits of kit. Davemuadib uses one for just that. Infact his is programmed with just three sounds all with compressor applied it just goes clean (with some eq)> chorus>drive over and over. I've owned both models and really rate em.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='947974' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:22 AM']How about the zoom b2.1 or b2.1ut? Really great bits of kit. Davemuadib uses one for just that. Infact his is programmed with just three sounds all with compressor applied it just goes clean (with some eq)> chorus>drive over and over. I've owned both models and really rate em.[/quote]

The Digitech BP8 (if you can find one) has a lovely analogue compressor with digital control section so you can save settings, it also allows varying amounts of top end thru uncompressed, which can make it way less obvious that you are crushing the knackers out of the low end.

The tuner is also excellent.

Finding one may be tricky though!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='948023' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:56 AM']Cheers Simon, that's GASsed me up a good'un.[/quote]

It gets better/worse, the digital chorus on it is lovely, it has a tube preamp built in and a fantastic 4 band semi-parametric eq, all with digital settings. Bloody powerful beastie for the cash.

Its built like a tank!

The expression pedal can control a lot of different parameters (only one at a time though)

It has a built in programmable notch filter to deal with room/stage resonances, never seen this in anything else and its total genius!!!

If I had to (really) criticise I'd say the following:-

There is a noticeable pause when changing between programs where the signal cuts out - no pause when turning individual fx on or off in a program though (if you run it like that)

There is a fault in the firmware whereby you have to exit and reenter into the envelope filter effect to hear changes in the blend between effected and uneffected. I told Digitech about it and they responded with my workaround as the solution - genius, not!

The non tube preamp overdrive/distortion is pretty minging, fortunately the tube overdrive is far nicer, and really responds to diggin in to get more grind.

The tube preamp is pretty dark (eq will fix this in no time, changing the tube may also sort this)

Too much emphasis on reverb/delay as opposed to running a phaser and a env filter for instance, typical of fx units for 'bass' stolen from units really origainlly desinged for guitar.

I gave mine to Plux and went to pedals as a result of the last issue, if they had done a BP8b that sorted the issues out I never would have changed, its a superb multifx, but for those niggles...

What about the Line 6 M9? Although when I bought it I had no intention of using its compressors and didn't think I needed any, the Tube Compressor model is so good I have it on all the time. And it has a good enough tuner too, I can just about see what's going on there with my short-sightedness and no glasses on stage :)

The other compressors are a bit rubbish I thought, a bit too fizzy on the high freqs, too guitar-orientated I suppose (Dyna Comp, Boss blue one, etc).

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='947835' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:37 AM']I could do with a tuner pedal and a compressor, but need it to be a one box solution.

Can anyone recommend a multi FX pedal that does these two functions well?[/quote]

Throw the cat amongsth the pigeons - How about changing your amp head for a TC RH450? Tuner, multiband compressor, programmeable AND an amp head all in one box :) - ok - so it's an expensive way to do it!

[quote name='dood' post='950088' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:26 PM']Throw the cat amongsth the pigeons - How about changing your amp head for a TC RH450? Tuner, multiband compressor, programmeable AND an amp head all in one box :) - ok - so it's an expensive way to do it![/quote]

Mmm thought about that but am happy with my Shuttle 3 for now!!