Why become a member? ×

A little bass transformation.

Ancient Mariner

Back at Christmas I picked up this vintage white Johnny Brooke bass from Gafbass.

But y'know how it is with these things, and much always wants more or better.

The pickups sounded a bit... anaemic, the bridge had previously had some 'issues' with screws and was just a BBoT anyway. So after a fret level and set up, some Fender Geddy Lee pickups (eventually) arrived, a used BA-style bridge came of the 'bay and someone offered an interesting J type scratchplate for very little money. New strings seemed a helpful addition to the mix as well.

At some stage the yellowish lacquered control cover will need to move on and some sensible knobs with graduations replace those too, but I like this much better. Pickups are now punchy at the neck, clanky at the bridge instead of being a little flat sounding - I've not found any burp yet, but haven't spent enough time looking either. It now owes me more in parts than the cost of the original guitar, but I kinda like it.

Disappointments? That I didn't place the bridge a little further left, instead of foolishly putting it where the original was.

Now I'll have to try and acquire a better pickup for that P-Encore (now THAT sounds weak in comparison) and maybe a black scratchplate. Cheap, of course. :)