Why become a member? ×

Help in getting a bass to balance nicely

cameltoe

It's starting to annoy me though, and I don't want it to, because I love this bass.

Plus, I can use the tuners from the Road Worn for my CV Squier, which I'm planning to pimp, if no one trades for it.

It can always be put back, and lightweight tuners will only make the bass lighter!

[quote name='cameltoe' post='941513' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:39 PM']OK thanks, I didn't realise that the product code was the correct fitment.

These look great, and I see thay weigh in at 64 grams each.

The hipshots weigh in at 47 grams, according to [url="http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Bass_Guitar_Luthiery"]here[/url]

I'm going to weigh one of my tuners tomorrw, to see what they come in at.
Obviously there's a bit of a difference, and I can find the Hipshot's for a fair bit less (about £90 to the Gotoh's £130), BUT- they do look a bit crap TBH.
The gotoh's slot in as standard. I realise I can take it back to standard, but once they're on I won't want to take them off unless I was selling the bass (which I'm not going to).

Any further advice would be gratefully received. I'm umming and ahhing between the two.[/quote]

See what you current tuners weigh. If you've decent kitchen scales make up a few bags of sugar, flour (whatever) corresponding to a set of your current tuners, the gotoh's and the hipshots. Remove your tuners and hang each bag from your headstock in turn to see if the gotoh's would cure your problem, or if you need to go for the hipshots.

The hipshots are OK but they will look a bit silly on the bass. The Gotoh's are also available in reverse wind to match your current tuners.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='940203' date='Aug 30 2010, 10:52 AM']A friend suggested either moving the strap pins slightly (but to where?) or adding a bit of mass to the body (how?)[/quote]
You can add a set of straplocks like the Dunlop Dual kind and that will move your strap buttons out a little bit. Since the weight is hanging on the left side of the strap mostly this moves the pivot point a bit to the left. This could be the cheapest solution. It does move the whole bass a tiny bit to the right and I like that but you'll have to see if you like it too.

[quote name='BB2000' post='941571' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:38 PM']See what you current tuners weigh. If you've decent kitchen scales make up a few bags of sugar, flour (whatever) corresponding to a set of your current tuners, the gotoh's and the hipshots. Remove your tuners and hang each bag from your headstock in turn to see if the gotoh's would cure your problem, or if you need to go for the hipshots.

The hipshots are OK but they will look a bit silly on the bass. The Gotoh's are also available in reverse wind to match your current tuners.[/quote]

Exactly. The only thing that stopped me buying the Gotoh's tonight is that I can only find them at £130, £40 more expensive than the hipshots.

I don't suppose it matters though. If I'm spending, I'm spending. Best do it right or not at all.

A link to some discount Gotoh dealers would do!

I've just taken the D and G string tuners out of the headstock on my bass, and that has cured the problem.

One wasn't enough, two is perfect.

I now need to find out how heavy my tuners are (they feel quite light, but I've never had tuners off before really), if they're around double the weight of the Gotoh's (64grams) I'll know the Gotoh's will solve my problem.

I did hear a while ago, before I bought the Road Worn (can't remember where from) that they were using a few custom shop parts on the Road Worns. I might have dreamt this though (GAS to blame?)

IIRC Custom shop tuners are fairly light too.

Going to visit the grocer now, as I don't have any scales.

I've just taken the D and G string tuners out of the headstock on my bass, and that has cured the problem.

One wasn't enough, two is perfect.

I now need to find out how heavy my tuners are (they feel quite light, but I've never had tuners off before really), if they're around double the weight of the Gotoh's (64grams) I'll know the Gotoh's will solve my problem.

I did hear a while ago, before I bought the Road Worn (can't remember where from) that they were using a few custom shop parts on the Road Worns. I might have dreamt this though (GAS to blame?)

IIRC Custom shop tuners are fairly light too.

Going to visit the grocer now, as I don't have any scales.

You don't need wide straps, weights, moving the strap buttons, helium balloons!, light tuners etc etc.

Here is how to cure your problem quickly, cheaply, effectively and without adding weight to your guitar.

When you wear your guitar, the strap crosses your hip on the right hand side (if you are right handed), and is attached to the body-side strap button. Wear a leather belt. Get your guitar into your most comfortable position and mark the point the strap crosses your belt on both the belt and the strap. Drill a small hole at the marked point on the belt (best to take it off first) and screw a spare strap button on to it. Cut a slot at the marked point on the strap. My strap actually has a spare slot higher up there anyway. For added movement you can adjust the length of the slot. If you wanted something lockable/adjustable, you could even put a little wingnut bolt/washer through there instead, or even fit a Schaller straplock.

When you strap your bass on, pop the slot over the strap button on your belt, and the neck will never dive again.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Max Normal

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='942771' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:38 PM']Did you find out what the Gotoh's weight ? are they an exact replacement ? (but just look new!)

T[/quote]

Exact replacement, 64 grams each, although this doesn't state whether they include sleeves, etc.

The hipshots come in at 47grams, but that's the bare tuner. Some sources online from the info I've dug around for say the Gotoh's are lighter than the Hipshots, but the Hipshots are so damn small, I wouldn't be surprised if they were a bit lighter.

The Gotoh's will fit, exactly, in the place of the Fender tuners, whereas the Hipshots will look a bit crap, but the Hipshots are cheaper, (£90 to £130) and could be lighter.

I'd normally just plump for the Hipshots, but I'd really like a set of tuners that don't look crap.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='942807' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:13 PM']Exact replacement, 64 grams each, although this doesn't state whether they include sleeves, etc.

The hipshots come in at 47grams, but that's the bare tuner. Some sources online from the info I've dug around for say the Gotoh's are lighter than the Hipshots, but the Hipshots are so damn small, I wouldn't be surprised if they were a bit lighter.

The Gotoh's will fit, exactly, in the place of the Fender tuners, whereas the Hipshots will look a bit crap, but the Hipshots are cheaper, (£90 to £130) and could be lighter.

I'd normally just plump for the Hipshots, but I'd really like a set of tuners that don't look crap.[/quote]

Yes, I'd also like to keep the original appearance (excluding the finish !) of my Roadworn P too. If the Gotoh's are significantly lighter, I'd pay the extra, as the bass is worth it (to me at least)

T

[quote name='cameltoe' post='942807' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:13 PM']Exact replacement, 64 grams each, although this doesn't state whether they include sleeves, etc.

I'd normally just plump for the Hipshots, but I'd really like a set of tuners that don't look crap.[/quote]

Try domo_intl on ebay (US) if you go for the GB640 ones. He will create an ebay BIN listing for you if he does not currently have any listed. I have a set on my AV62.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='942860' date='Sep 1 2010, 11:57 PM']Yes, I'd also like to keep the original appearance (excluding the finish !) of my Roadworn P too. If the Gotoh's are significantly lighter, I'd pay the extra, as the bass is worth it (to me at least)

T[/quote]

That's the thing, I'm trying to get a definitive answer of how heavy the Gotoh's are. If the bare tuner is 64 grams that'll take about 40gram off each tuner, not accounting for the fact the sleeves and screws may be lighter also.

Looking just at that, I'd save 160 grams from the headstock. Taking two tuners out saved me 210 grams and was about enough. Would 160 grams do it? Hmmm.

If the Hipshot bare tuner weight is 47grams, going by what I can find online, I'd be saving 232 grams from the headstock, again not accounting they may come with lighter sleeves and screws. This would solve the problem. And they are a fair bit cheaper.

But as you say, it'd be nice to have standard-look tuners. The hipshots do look dreadful. Plus the Gotoh's come in reverse, to retain originality. You'd never need to take them off again.

[quote name='BB2000' post='942912' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:36 AM']Try domo_intl on ebay (US) if you go for the GB640 ones. He will create an ebay BIN listing for you if he does not currently have any listed. I have a set on my AV62.[/quote]

Thanks dude I think I may do this. Any chance you can do me a huge favour and take one out to see what it weighs? (On it's own, and with sleeves and screws)

I'll know for sure how much weight I'll be saving then. No worries if not.

If I decide to plump for the Gotoh's, do you want to come in on the order to save on postage essexbasscat?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='943245' date='Sep 2 2010, 12:09 PM']That's the thing, I'm trying to get a definitive answer of how heavy the Gotoh's are. If the bare tuner is 64 grams that'll take about 40gram off each tuner, not accounting for the fact the sleeves and screws may be lighter also.

Looking just at that, I'd save 160 grams from the headstock. Taking two tuners out saved me 210 grams and was about enough. Would 160 grams do it? Hmmm.

If the Hipshot bare tuner weight is 47grams, going by what I can find online, I'd be saving 232 grams from the headstock, again not accounting they may come with lighter sleeves and screws. This would solve the problem. And they are a fair bit cheaper.

But as you say, it'd be nice to have standard-look tuners. The hipshots do look dreadful. Plus the Gotoh's come in reverse, to retain originality. You'd never need to take them off again.

Thanks dude I think I may do this. Any chance you can do me a huge favour and take one out to see what it weighs? (On it's own, and with sleeves and screws)

I'll know for sure how much weight I'll be saving then. No worries if not.

If I decide to plump for the Gotoh's, do you want to come in on the order to save on postage essexbasscat?[/quote]

That's really thoughttful and I appreciate the offer and the opportunity. It's come along at a bit of an awkard time however, as I'm committed elsewhere at the moment.

I'd still be very interested to hear how the experiment works out though. Once again, thanks for raising this post, it's certainly given me something to think about. If the Gotoh's do work out, I will invest in some at some point in the near future, 'cos as far as I'm concerned, my RW P is a keeper

T

Me too :)

No problem, I'm still trying to work out which tuners are the best to go for.

I've seen that Fender do their own Lightweight Vintage tuners now (probably made by Schaller), and I've also noticed that when removing a tuner from the headstock I already have the two countersunk button holes pre-drilled to allow for lightweight tuners.

It seems the Hipshot ultralites are not as light as they claim if you plump for Clover-leaf style, and 1/2" size. They are more like 57 grams then.

Gotoh it is then.

Contacted domo_intl, and waiting for him to set something up.

BB2000 did you get stung for import tax? Any chance of this happening?

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='BB2000' post='944045' date='Sep 2 2010, 11:03 PM']The Gotoh tuners weigh 62g each. The Gotoh bushes and screws weigh about 35g a set. I had my set forwarded via a US mail forwarding company and did not pay duty/tax. If you import direct you probably will.[/quote]

Good man, cheers.