Why become a member? ×

Iv just bought a starter db that needs a new bridge and set up

OliverBlackman

Iv recently bought a chinese Stentor off ebay, but the G string is buzzing against the fingerboard and its not at all the right set up for using a bow.

I have tried M&J Healeys, and soundpost but neither would deal with this bass.

Does anyone know of anywhere else that would help and not rip me off in the process?

cheers, ollie

[quote name='ardi100' post='937858' date='Aug 27 2010, 10:03 AM']I used Laurence Dixon around clapham somewhere. I don't have his details to hand but I'll dig them out later.

He set up my zeller bass nicely, was reasonably priced and a lovely bloke.[/quote]

Sounds great, let me know if you find his number. cheers, ollie

[quote name='daflewis' post='939218' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:46 AM']Hi Ollie,
Did they say why they wouldn't work on the bass?[/quote]

Hi daf, yh, soundpost said they don't really deal with double basses anymore, which i dont understand because lots of people have recommended them.

And M & J Healey said they don't work on basses that have been bought off the internet. Although im sure if it was older and not a cheap bass im sure they would because they came highly recommended as well.

Malcolm does work on the cheaper plywoods and other 'toffee apple' basses and every time I've been in I've seen at least one. The same goes for Roger Dawson and his apprentice Sam. Maybe theres just a growing trend for these basses and a fear of customer over-expectation on the part of the luthiers, but Malcolm in particular is a top guy, and I'm sure if you speak to him directly and explain your position he will help you out. I know him fairly well and will gladly put in a word if that helps.

Malcolm usually just doesn't have the time as he's so busy sorting out the pros old basses or making his own instruments. Top guy, he's my first call when there's something up with my basses. I've heard lots of good things about Laurence Dixon too but I've never dealt with him myself.

The factory set-up on these type of basses is nearly always unplayable, you won't believe the difference once it's done.

Oh and Damon, my days of buying strings are over (if you believe that you'll believe anything). Recently tried Evahs again and love them. Expect a set of Belcantos for sale on here soon once more Evahs arrive for my spare bass!

[quote]Oh and Damon, my days of buying strings are over (if you believe that you'll believe anything). Recently tried Evahs again and love them. Expect a set of Belcantos for sale on here soon once more Evahs arrive for my spare bass![/quote]

Yeah yeah.

Edited by Damo200

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='blackmn90' post='939284' date='Aug 29 2010, 11:41 AM']And M & J Healey said they don't work on basses that have been bought off the internet. Although im sure if it was older and not a cheap bass im sure they would because they came highly recommended as well.[/quote]
I'm staggered.

I bought a very cheap and fairly beaten up bass off eBay that was badly in need of some TLC and M&J Healey provided it ... not once but twice. Maybe he thought it was worth the investment in me as a customer so I'd come back to him when I need a proper upright.

Great guy, went out of his way to get me a workable bass out of what I'd purchased, and for a reasonable price. I'm surprised he couldn't help you.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='965064' date='Sep 22 2010, 10:25 PM']I'm staggered.

I bought a very cheap and fairly beaten up bass off eBay that was badly in need of some TLC and M&J Healey provided it ... not once but twice. Maybe he thought it was worth the investment in me as a customer so I'd come back to him when I need a proper upright.

Great guy, went out of his way to get me a workable bass out of what I'd purchased, and for a reasonable price. I'm surprised he couldn't help you.

Andy[/quote]

Just to say i tried again with M&J and as soon as i mentioned a few of there previous customers they said they would look at it. Maybe they just get so many customers they tend to only do work for people they know wont give them hassle

[quote name='ardi100' post='937858' date='Aug 27 2010, 10:03 AM']I used Laurence Dixon around clapham somewhere. I don't have his details to hand but I'll dig them out later.
He set up my zeller bass nicely, was reasonably priced and a lovely bloke.[/quote]
First of all I would like say a big hello to everybody here as this is my first post on this forum.

I am piggybacking on this topic as I could use L. Dixon's details myself.

I just purchased a double bass on Thomann and would like to have it properly set-up on arrival. Since I am very near Clapham, it would be quite convenient to have a good luthier locally.
I tried to do some research by couldn't find his details anywhere, so your help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey please keep the contacts and advice coming... I too have purchased an inexpensive bass off ebay, needs a little work (hopefully not a lot but what do I know, I am clueless here) but is an old(ish) bass not one of those new Chinese ones - as I live in Wimbledon I am looking for someone local and Clapham would be absolutely fine.

I have emailed Surrey Strings to see what they say.

[quote]Hey please keep the contacts and advice coming... I too have purchased an inexpensive bass off ebay, needs a little work (hopefully not a lot but what do I know, I am clueless here) but is an old(ish) bass not one of those new Chinese ones - as I live in Wimbledon I am looking for someone local and Clapham would be absolutely fine.[/quote]

Malcolm's in the Sutton area so for a Wimbledon dweller, he would be your man.