Why become a member? ×

Effects and pedals?

swinleybass

im new to pedals, I recently bought my first pedal off the for sale section. But of course i want more i only want about four pedals but i need to know the best ones for bass the ons i have thought about are.

Boss ODB-3 (almost definite)
Morley bass Wah pedal
Danelectro reel echo.
Boss chromatic tuner
Boss LMB-3

any i shouldent buy or better alternatives, would be helpful thanks
Caylan

What kind of music do you play?

For rock stuff, things like overdrive and fuzz are quite often used, for funk you'll find more filters and synths, ambient music will use lots of delays and reverb etc. Do you have a budget also?

ok um i play a huge variety from punk to funk to indie. But mainly red hot chilis and improv funk riffs

budget wisse dosent matter to much i dont really wanna spend more then a hundred on a single pedal but if its highly advised i will, this is going to be other quite a long time

Truckstop i would search around on youtube i found the Eletro-Harmonix holiest grail which seemed pretty versatile so you may be able ot get those sounds

Edited by swinleybass

Alternatives? Without going really expensive it's worth trying the Bass Big Muff and the Ashdown Hyperdrive for distortion(I don't
get on with the Boss one). For Wah's you could try the Bass Crybaby or even an autowah(envelope filter). For delay,the Boss DD's
are pretty standard. Tuner-Boss,Korg and TC Electronic are all good. And for compression you could try something like the Aphex
Punch Factory.
There are loads of good pedals around,and the above ones aren't stupidly expensive either. It really is worth popping into a few
shops and trying a whole bunch of pedals out.

Been messing about with an MXR el grande bass fuzz for the last week and I'm well impressed. Personally I find most of the Boss fx to be bland.
A good Chorus like the EBS unichorus would be a good option and also maybe a octave/pitch shifter.

[quote name='Doddy' post='937519' date='Aug 26 2010, 08:58 PM']Alternatives? Without going really expensive it's worth trying the Bass Big Muff and the Ashdown Hyperdrive for distortion(I don't
get on with the Boss one). For Wah's you could try the Bass Crybaby or even an autowah(envelope filter). For delay,the Boss DD's
are pretty standard. Tuner-Boss,Korg and TC Electronic are all good. And for compression you could try something like the Aphex
Punch Factory.
There are loads of good pedals around,and the above ones aren't stupidly expensive either. It really is worth popping into a few
shops and trying a whole bunch of pedals out.[/quote]

Some good calls here. A lot of these come up second hand a fair bit too so they'll be pretty cheap.

Check out the EHX Nano Bass Balls for a cheap envelope filter, it'll suit the RHCP style too. Maybe check out a Pro Co Rat for some gritty overdrive/distortion that can fit with some punk and indie.

thanks for all the help guys, i already have an envelope filter so wont be needing one. I do still really like the look of the reel echo would it handle bass ok or would be rubbish.

il check the pro co rat and big muff theyve got them down my local shop

il also check out that mxr fuzz and EBS chorus pedal

Edited by swinleybass

Well for every pedal choice there's probably a different answer to be had from each person on here, so what I mean is that pedals/effects are so subjective.

Personally I like pretty high quality pedals (Fulltone, Moog, Crowther Audio, Zvex) as opposed to mass market pedals (ie Boss, Digitech) but there are a lot of considerations - cost, rig, use, etc.

If i were getting into pedals for the first time (again) i'd defo be looking for a core of the following (ive tried to cover various budgets) -

1. A tuner - most important - TC Polytune, Korg Pitchblack or Peterson Strobostomp.

2. An octave - very handy for bass, my preference here is analog - Boss OC-2, EBS Octabass, EH Octave Multiplexer.

3. A dist/fuzz/overdrive - personal preference, i have a few different types but if you need to choose one to start - EH Bass Big Muff, Zvex Mastotron/Wooly Mammoth (they are different, unique in their own ways), Fulltone Bassdrive.

4. A low pass/envelope filter - Moog Moogerfooger LP Filter, Subdecay Prometheus, EH Bassballs/Q-Tron

There, i've limited it to 4. Its by no means exhaustive. After those core 4 there are mods, delays and other time based effects, etc etc.

Oh and get a good pedalboard and decent power supply...those are key!

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='937925' date='Aug 27 2010, 11:05 AM']Well for every pedal choice there's probably a different answer to be had from each person on here, so what I mean is that pedals/effects are so subjective.

Personally I like pretty high quality pedals (Fulltone, Moog, Crowther Audio, Zvex) as opposed to mass market pedals (ie Boss, Digitech) but there are a lot of considerations - cost, rig, use, etc.

If i were getting into pedals for the first time (again) i'd defo be looking for a core of the following (ive tried to cover various budgets) -

1. A tuner - most important - TC Polytune, Korg Pitchblack or Peterson Strobostomp.

2. An octave - very handy for bass, my preference here is analog - Boss OC-2, EBS Octabass, EH Octave Multiplexer.

3. A dist/fuzz/overdrive - personal preference, i have a few different types but if you need to choose one to start - EH Bass Big Muff, Zvex Mastotron/Wooly Mammoth (they are different, unique in their own ways), Fulltone Bassdrive.

4. A low pass/envelope filter - Moog Moogerfooger LP Filter, Subdecay Prometheus, EH Bassballs/Q-Tron

There, i've limited it to 4. Its by no means exhaustive. After those core 4 there are mods, delays and other time based effects, etc etc.

Oh and get a good pedalboard and decent power supply...those are key![/quote]

thanks man thats a big help there i will definately get an octave then the others i was gonna get anyway. thanks for the suggestions