Why become a member? ×

old skool compressor sound..........Help please.

voxpop

Hi Guys,

I need your collective wisdom on a simple question....

I need a compressor that will give me 'old skool compression', something with a real squashy sound. It must sound rough with a little distortion...............must not be clean and modern sounding.

Can you help.....

Thanks.

Edited by voxpop

reckon an old EHX White Finger might do the trick too and i think there's one for sale here under Effects For Sale or on TalkBass in US

oops..it is a White Finger and it is here on BC in classifieds, but it's not an old one. I did try the big old one a few years back and I think I remember it being dirty as well as squishy. I remember getting a nice squishy grunt for Rappers Delight finger funk

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='voxpop' post='935272' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:20 PM']someone has also mentioned a Dan Armstrong Orange squeeze or a copy???[/quote]

I have an Orange Sqeezer clone, it's a bit of an aquired taste (nice on fretless) but saying that I have been told it's a poor copy of the real thing so may not represent the true OS sound.

[quote name='voxpop' post='934992' date='Aug 24 2010, 04:48 PM']Im looking for a pedal, must be dirty and squashy........not clean.[/quote]

Seriously try and get a go on a floorQ, its the same comp as in a twinQ, and I've done a lot of recording with one of them, it can squish really hard, pumps nicely if you push it....

[quote name='Rumple' post='935295' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:32 PM']I have an Orange Sqeezer clone, it's a bit of an aquired taste (nice on fretless) but saying that I have been told it's a poor copy of the real thing so may not represent the true OS sound.[/quote]

In what way an acquired taste??

[quote name='51m0n' post='935316' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:46 PM']Seriously try and get a go on a floorQ, its the same comp as in a twinQ, and I've done a lot of recording with one of them, it can squish really hard, pumps nicely if you push it....[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I will hunt one out.

[quote name='voxpop' post='935317' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:47 PM']In what way an acquired taste??[/quote]

I have been told it doesn't work properly, to me it seems more like an effect rather then a compressor as it adds colour, pump and squashes in an odd way.

I have a CS-1, CS-2, OS clone, EBS Multicomp and a Frontline compressor if you are ever passing Sarf London direction you are welcome to try them.

51m0n who makes the flourQ, I do like a compressor :)

• 2 weeks later...