Why become a member? ×

New amp decision

garethfriend

My current amp setup is an Ashdown Mag 300 2x10 combo and 1x15 extension cab. If I'm honest I bought it because I wanted to get playing in a band quickly, the local shop stocked them and I could get finance rather than any consideration for the actual sound. Now having settled down and started gigging with it and really exploring the sounds I can get out of it I'm not that thrilled with it.

Recently played an ampeg (no idea what it was, looked like this: [url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt450h/index.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt450h/index.html[/url] with more knobs and switches in place of the EQ) as part of the house backline at an event we played and it really highlighted my own rigs shortcomings in terms of tone.

Basically I want to go for more power around 500W and go to a head and cab setup rather than a combo. In terms of tone something that is alot more defined and punchy than my ashdown which seems a bit wooly at high volume. I also quite like the idea of a tube preamp so I can get some nice gritty sounds out of it too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a budget of £500 or so (don't mind going secondhand), needs to be reliable and sound massive. What sort of things should I be keeping an eye out for?

btw, mainly playing rock type stuff, about a 40/60 split of pick/fingers and about 6 bars of slap in total in our current set. Bass is an Ibanez BTB470.

+1 on the LH 500. Serious bang for the buck. A used one should leave you with approx £300 for a cab. As 51m0n has said, a used compact would be a good choice (I vaguely remember Alex Claber saying that if he didn't already have a pre-power rack setup, he'd be looking at the new Hartke heads)

Lots of Trace Elliot stuff is around at second hand. The Smx range has a tube preamp and you can pick up the heads for pretty cheap (I got one for £250 as a back head). Not everyone likes the Trace Elliot sound though so its best to try it out first. Not wooly add at all though in my experience.

Hartke as well are reliable and really good value for money new or used. If you like Ampeg you could probably find a B series heads (solid state stuff, it might have a different name) for under £500.

You could also try Peavey as well, the new Tourbass heads are under £500 new. I have not heard anything about them from anybody though.

Wow, alot of love for the Hartke stuff! will have to find one to have a play through and see for myself. I've been looking at cabs to pair it up with, mainly just ebay and on here at the minute, there seems to be alot of stuff rated less than 500w and lots more than 1000w floating around but not alot in the middle (guessing it's because cabs rated between 500 and 1000w are the ones most people hang onto?). Iv'e noticed alot of hartke cabs appearing in various places, anyone have any experience with them? was thinking something like a 4x10, possibly a good match to the lh500?

Had a look at those barefaced cabs, looks like those guys know thier stuff, is there anywhere around the midlands that stocks it that I might be able to see for myself? Same for everything that has been suggested for that matter, anyone who has a good range of hartke stuff that I can try.

Think I should make clear the £500 budget is to cover amp and cab, might stretch a bit further if I get a decent price for my ashdown but I'm not holding my breath on that front. Any other companies that make a 4x10 that sounds good, is rated at 500w+ and that I am likely to find for around the £300 mark? EDIT: just read that the lh500 is 500w into 4ohms so a 4 ohm 4x10 preferably

Edited by garethfriend

unless you're going to be doing some very loud gigs purely off the backline you probably wouldn't even need the 500w head. Hartke made a great 350w (LH3500), which is what I use and it is so loud I never run the amp at more than 3 on the master volume, even through a 2x15 4ohm cab.

you could save some money that way too and help get that better cab

Edited by Bassnut62