Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG C410t vs Hartke VX3500 vs Marshall MB4210

Swaff

I'm in a real pickle over which one of these to pick get towards the end of the year.
My band is starting to get more gigs and i'm currently running through a Ashdown Five Fifteen, which just doesn't have the umph for the gigs im playing anymore.
I've got about a £550 budget, and would really like 4x10 speakers and a multitude of tones, but im not sure which of these three to get.
I play in a grunge/hard metal band and my guitarist uses a marshall avt150 head through a marshall 1960a cab.
I also play with a clangy harris esc. tone.
With your experience and knowledge, which one would you say would most meet my needs.
Thanks in advance.

From what I've heard, steer clear of the Marshall. They're unreliable & weigh about 8 ton.
The other two are good choices & both sound different. So try them if you can.

If you're willing to go second hand then there's some great stuff to be had within your budget. Have a look in the for sale section on this forum.
You could get a MarkBass LM11 & a 1/2 decent cab for £5-600 (such as a mag 410).

[quote name='phatbass787' post='929352' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:35 AM']With that kind of budget you could(just about) get a MAG 410 cab and a MAG 600 head, lots more power than the combo and if you get a 1x15 at some point or a 2x10 you can use 2 cabs for big gigs and have the option of the smaller cab for small gigs...[/quote]

Do you work for Ashdown or something? You only seem to write buy Ashdown posts. Only 1 none related post in your posting history is pretty impressive.

I`ve no experience of the Ashdown range, but have had the Marshall MB4210, then progressed to the MB450 Head with MB410 Cab. Have now bought higher end Marshall gear.

I used my Head & Combo at least twice a week for a period of 18 months, and previous to that, the 4210 once a week for 12 months. A lot of people state steer clear of the MB range, due to unreliability, but I never had any trouble with them, tho have to admit they can be a bit weighty.

I would happily recommend these - the Head & Cab I used in a punk band (still in it, btw), with 2 guitarists with 100w valve amps/half-stacks, and never needed it on more than 5 on the volume. 2 channels, modern (with compressor) and classic (with boostable gain), and blend facility for both. I always used the classic channel - just great with a Precision!

Hartke def worth a look, and some good prices 2nd-hand on Basschat at present - easily within yr budget.
Don`t know abt VX range, but I had the HA4000 with 4x10XL & 1x15XL cabs - prob most versatile rig I ever had.

Edited by Lozz196