Why become a member? ×

Scott Thunes in London !!!

xilddx

[quote name='Heathy' post='927050' date='Aug 16 2010, 11:07 PM']Got my tickets for the 6th - Can't wait![/quote]
I'm going to the ZPZ gig and the audience with Scott the next day, I can't wait either!

Mrs silddx is going to both too, and even wants me to play her a selection from Zappa's catalogue and wants to read the Scott Thunes interview in In Cold Sweat, in preparation for her attendance at the events. This is a rather remarkable turnaround :) She's always hated Zappa's music.

[quote name='silddx' post='927272' date='Aug 17 2010, 10:13 AM']I'm going to the ZPZ gig and the audience with Scott the next day, I can't wait either!

Mrs silddx is going to both too, and even wants me to play her a selection from Zappa's catalogue and wants to read the Scott Thunes interview in In Cold Sweat, in preparation for her attendance at the events. This is a rather remarkable turnaround :) She's always hated Zappa's music.[/quote]

Saw ZPZ at the Brighton Centre with Plux, you are in for a hell of a treat mate!

Best guitar sound I've ever heard live, really incredible, and a fantastic band, keep you eyes on the sax player, she's ace!

[quote name='51m0n' post='927279' date='Aug 17 2010, 10:19 AM']Saw ZPZ at the Brighton Centre with Plux, you are in for a hell of a treat mate!

Best guitar sound I've ever heard live, really incredible, and a fantastic band, keep you eyes on the sax player, she's ace![/quote]
Thanks mate!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='927276' date='Aug 17 2010, 10:15 AM']Which albums have you got planned?[/quote]
Anyone's guess at the moment.

But probably a track or two from each of ..

Cruisin' With Ruben and The Jets
Apostrophe
Live in New York
Roxy & Elsewhere
Tinseltown Rebellion
Sheik Yerbouti
London Symphony Orchestra
You Are What You Is
Them or Us
TBBYNHIYL
Make a Jazz Noise Here

And a few tracks from Does Humour Belong in Music so she can see his band in action.

Any other suggestions? I want to demonstrate the evolution of his catalogue but mostly the diversity, without making her feel like her brain's been pushed through mush (as the Baron Harkonnen would say).

[quote name='silddx' post='927333' date='Aug 17 2010, 10:59 AM']Cruisin' With Ruben and The Jets[/quote]
Well, that'll lull her into a false sense of security! Good starting point. :rolleyes: And probably wise to miss out the first few Mothers albums.

IMO, [i]One Size Fits All[/i] is a good starting point. [i]Zoot Allures[/i] is also very accessible, but the material's not his best IMO. Mrs Endian will [b]almost[/b] listen to both of those. :) (I also think [i]Bongo Fury[/i] grooves like a bastard (in a very, very good way), but I know I'm almost alone in that respect.)

Also, [i]Ship Arriving Too Late...[/i], but probably leaving out "Drowning Witch" until she's feelin' the Zappa-groove.

Hell, why not sit down for a couple of hours with [i]Joe's Garage[/i]? A storyline to follow, genuinely funny and some serious tunes on there.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='927360' date='Aug 17 2010, 11:19 AM']Well, that'll lull her into a false sense of security! Good starting point. :lol: And probably wise to miss out the first few Mothers albums.

IMO, [i]One Size Fits All[/i] is a good starting point. [i]Zoot Allures[/i] is also very accessible, but the material's not his best IMO. Mrs Endian will [b]almost[/b] listen to both of those. :rolleyes: (I also think [i]Bongo Fury[/i] grooves like a bastard (in a very, very good way), but I know I'm almost alone in that respect.)

Also, [i]Ship Arriving Too Late...[/i], but probably leaving out "Drowning Witch" until she's feelin' the Zappa-groove.

Hell, why not sit down for a couple of hours with [i]Joe's Garage[/i]? A storyline to follow, genuinely funny and some serious tunes on there.[/quote]
She'll like Ruben :)

Ahh, Zoot Allures (the track) is what I will show her from the Does Humour Belong in Music vid.

One size is a great album but it's too similar to The Grand Wazoo which she can't stand.

She likes Valley Girl and The Blue Light.

[quote name='ElCapitan' post='927354' date='Aug 17 2010, 11:16 AM']no. how?[/quote]
It's pronounced "The average human penis is 6 inches long whereas the average human vagina is 7 inches deep. Given that the world population is about 6.8 billion and 64% of that is adult, that's about 4.5 billion inches of unused vagina, and 5 feet 4 inches of it is posting on basschat at the moment."

I would suggest picking out tracks rather than going for a whole album, based on what you think she will relate to the most. Would it be humour, musicianship, a nice tune etc?

The first Zappa track I heard was 'The Dangerous Kitchen', and then various tracks on YCDTOSA Vol 3. I was totally blown away by Thunes.

This was in 1989 - the year after the last tour - BAH!

• 1 month later...