Why become a member? ×

Kings of Leon using hand-made British Amps

99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='924526' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:31 PM']They do look to be beautifully made though & he seems like a very cool guy...[/quote]
yeah i do agree with that, and he's got an obvious eye for quality. My main gripe with doing that though is that it all comes down to marketing hype and the bassman circuit while sounding good isn't the most flexible or well designed of circuits it's essentially the best they could do on a budget.

[quote name='umph' post='924820' date='Aug 14 2010, 12:37 PM']yeah i do agree with that, and he's got an obvious eye for quality. My main gripe with doing that though is that it all comes down to marketing hype and the bassman circuit while sounding good isn't the most flexible or well designed of circuits it's essentially the best they could do on a budget.[/quote]

And a big budget at that - he charges £3.5K for one of those bass heads + 4x10. :)

[quote name='umph' post='924820' date='Aug 14 2010, 01:37 PM']yeah i do agree with that, and he's got an obvious eye for quality. My main gripe with doing that though is that it all comes down to marketing hype and the bassman circuit while sounding good isn't the most flexible or well designed of circuits it's essentially the best they could do on a budget.[/quote]
IMO there's allot of hype surrounding any valve amp, especially boutique ones - most of which involves how 'vintage' sounding they are. Because the Bassman circuit is so simple I reckon there are a more than a few chancers out there bigging up their tweaked Fender circuits in fancy cabinets. I recently discovered a guy in the US building guitar combos with mercury vapour rectifiers - poison vapour in hot glass being kicked around and having cold drinks balanced on top? I can see the law suits being drawn up already!

By the way, this doesn't mean we're not looking forward to your valve heads umph :)

[quote name='99ster' post='924849' date='Aug 14 2010, 01:16 PM']And a big budget at that - he charges £3.5K for one of those bass heads + 4x10. :)[/quote]

for 3 and a half grand i'll do you a 500watt bass head with 2 properly tuned 2 be 12s and shine your shoes

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='925349' date='Aug 15 2010, 09:19 AM']Oranges are hand made in England but never cost more than 2k.

These must be amazing!!![/quote]

their custom shop is hand made, the normal stuff will be hand wired at best. Much in the same way marshall stuff is.

[quote name='99ster' post='924065' date='Aug 13 2010, 03:51 PM']Folllowing on from their appearance at Glastobury with Blur - Audio Kitchen amps are now being [url="http://www.mutronics.co.uk/audiokitchen/news.htm"]used by KOL in the studio[/url]...[/quote]

Didn't Alex just end up ditching the head and just using the cabs in the end? I'm pretty sure it was his Ampeg SVT into 2 4x10s... Certainly was at the Hyde Park gigs and the warm up gigs.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='umph' post='924482' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:50 PM']ahh another dude doing boutique versions of the bassman circuit[/quote]

this has me thinking - i love my old fender bassman 135 to bits, certainly my fave amp but it's starting to go wrong a lot lately, and crackling etc!

aside from these audio kitchen folks, is there anyone else you know of making bassman-esque valve heads, ideally not charging £3.5k, or is it best just to keep my eyes on e-bay for an old fender??

cheers!

[quote name='GazWills' post='943595' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:23 PM']this has me thinking - i love my old fender bassman 135 to bits, certainly my fave amp but it's starting to go wrong a lot lately, and crackling etc!

aside from these audio kitchen folks, is there anyone else you know of making bassman-esque valve heads, ideally not charging £3.5k, or is it best just to keep my eyes on e-bay for an old fender??

cheers![/quote]

best bet is to take your bassman in for a full servicing and have all the potentially problem causing components replaced. Will be cheaper.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='944576' date='Sep 3 2010, 02:28 PM']Surely you mean 'I'll make you one.'?[/quote]

:) :rolleyes:

i actually took the amp in for a big overhaul/service this week, so fingers crossed will be back and fighting fit soon.

i was more curious i guess if there are any amps out there that are based on the bassman circuit, just, i dunno, a bit new and improved?!?!?

[quote name='GazWills' post='944596' date='Sep 3 2010, 02:52 PM']:) :rolleyes:

i actually took the amp in for a big overhaul/service this week, so fingers crossed will be back and fighting fit soon.

i was more curious i guess if there are any amps out there that are based on the bassman circuit, just, i dunno, a bit new and improved?!?!?[/quote]

give the bass terror a whirl, i think it's fairly similar.

400+ is another good one if you don't mind the weight